300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Issue. Should it be a problem?

I am a criminal justice major student in college working my way to becoming a state trooper in New Jersey. I am 20 years old. At a younger age I was dignosed with Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis. I take meds for it and will be for the rest of my life. It hasnt effected me in the past with work or exercise or anything unless i dont take my meds daily. My question is will this be a problem when it comes to the health test when applying for a position in LE?

I can't say for sure, but if David Garrard can play PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, I don't think you'll have a problem being a police officer.

Comment

Fernando Pisani of the Oilers NHL team has it as well and he rocks out. I didnt think so, but what do I know? Thanks for your input tho!

Comment

I've worked with 3 Deps with CD. They had to take time off and it was pretty bad for all of them. There are stressors that come into play that NHL/NFL guys don't have that will effect you.

You need to discuss it with your MD, make sure they understand what the job will entail, not just m-f, 8-5 easy work.
        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Yeah I do understand what the job entails and that sort of thing, and I'm ready for it all. Yeah sometimes it kicks your *** but as long as you stay on top of it just like you would your work it'll all be fine. But I will deff take it up with my doctor. Thank you!

Comment

One of my coworkers has Crohn's but it was diagnosed after he'd been on the job for several years. Check your state's medical standards. Here in WA, ulcerative colitis is a disqualifying condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn58 View Post
              I am a criminal justice major student in college working my way to becoming a state trooper in New Jersey. I am 20 years old. At a younger age I was dignosed with Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis. I take meds for it and will be for the rest of my life. It hasnt effected me in the past with work or exercise or anything unless i dont take my meds daily. My question is will this be a problem when it comes to the health test when applying for a position in LE?
              Your reply will have to come from the NJSP. All we can do is guess. My suggestion for you, is to contact a Recruiter/similar Officer at NJSP, and get an "official answer". He/she may not know off the top of their heads, but they should be able to find out for you. Keep in mind too, that even if your condition turns out to be a problem with NJSP, it's possible, it wouldn't be with another agency.

Comment

Thank you Phil, I will look into it. If it does end up being a problem ill check near by states for their state troopers, and based off of that, I will take it from there. But if it does end up being a problem its what I was delt and have to deal with it and go to the next step.

Thanks again!

Comment

ment to send a PM SORRY!
                  Last edited by xjman1990; 05-07-2010, 01:06 AM. Reason: ment to PM

Comment

I don't think it should be a problem for you. I am currently a police officer in Minnesota and have crohn's disease. I have had CD since I was 17 years old and I can say it has not affected my work as a police officer. I have looked into working in other states and many recruiters have told me you just need to pass their medical exam and have a doctor sign off stating you are clear to work. I don't know why a doctor would not allow a person with CD to become a cop. I realize our job is stressful but you just have to learn how to deal with stress, stay on your meds, and eat right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4746 users online. 342 members and 4404 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X