300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milatary/LEO Conflict Question

I am currently in the process with a local sheriffs agency and if things don't turn out the way I hope I will be joining the Air force reserve.Has anyone heard or ever experienced of having to go to drills during the police academy and was the drill schedule made to accommodate the police academy?

Do one of them first, then after a few years do the other. That way, one won't interfere with the other.

Comment

If you're not in the Navy already then why is your name Master Chief? Anyway, no the Reserves and Guard will not allow you to miss that many drills in order to accomodate your academy. You may however drop into the Inactive Reserve for up to one year. This will not require any participation from you, but it will extend your contract as long as you were out. Also, your initial enlistment contract may not allow this if you receive any type of bonus. Be careful here. Talk to a recruiter and get the facts from them. This info from me is NOT official. Good luck.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

Do one then the other.

Comment

I appreciate the info,Master-chief is from The game Halo

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
            I am currently in the process with a local sheriffs agency and if things don't turn out the way I hope I will be joining the Air force reserve.Has anyone heard or ever experienced of having to go to drills during the police academy and was the drill schedule made to accommodate the police academy?
            I'm in the Army Reserve, did both. Live in academy M through F, Battle Assemby on Sat and Sun. It was rough but doable.

By law, your employment must accommodate your drill/military needs, whether they like it or not. I think I had one or two assemblies that were F-S-S, and the academy let me off for the Friday so I could drill. However it was on me to catch up on the course material that I otherwise missed.
            Last edited by IrishJoe; 09-22-2009, 02:50 PM.
            sigpic

In Memory
            Officer J. Sanders
            EOW 12-15-2008

Loyalty...Duty...Respect...Selfless Service...Honor...Integrity...Personal Courage

Comment

I think it all depends on your Reserve unit, and your standing in the unit. When I was doing the AF Reserves, the unit definitely believed in the GOB network. If you weren't in the group the supervisors tried to hammer you as often as possible. Despite this, I saw some members able to talk the leadership into letting them not go to drill several months in a row while they attended a police academy, but they had to perform make up drills after their situation improved.

Unfortunately my supervisor wanted all of his minions to get down and worship him, so unless we were willing to do that we got no leeway. I even had to argue the point that changing my drill schedule the day before drill to come in a day early, did not constitute a national emergency and I would not be taking time off my regular job to satisfy his late requirement. I had to see the Commander for that one and the words Courts Martial and UCMJ were thrown around liberally by my supervisor. The Commander was a bit more reasonable, especially when I let him know that I had actually read the law and prior notice of drill dates was a requirement unless it was a national emergency. I advised the Commander that in my opinion the failure of my supervisor to plan did not constitute a national emergency. The Commander agreed with me. The unit I worked with was prime for IG complaints about favoritism, discrimination, and maltreatment. I chose to go back active duty before their poop stuck to me.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

How did going active duty affect the LEO job?Or did you not work as a LEo any longer at that point?

Comment

Guard

My guard unit lets guys off to go to the academy, they just have to make sure and make them up before or after the academy within the same fiscal year so they get the points for a good year. My agency is a real pain when in comes to guard drills. I have been threatened with termination, suspension, and they held my promotion to Lieutenant for 4 years (because I was in Kuwait when promotions were made) until I filed a DOL complaint and got the bars with back pay. It is kind of funny too because our state ESGR just gave our city an award for outstanding guard and reserve support when they have harassed the hell out of me and the 4 other guardsman. My guard unit barred representatives from my police department from the base after they came out and showed their asses to our commander. It just depends on the agency, some are great and some really suck.

Comment

I had a guy in my academy in 1990 who was called up for DS1. He had to repeat most of the academy with another class when he cam back. Studchris said it best, get hired and once you're finished your probationary period, go reserves.

Where did masterchief come from?

Comment

As stated above, the USERRA of 1994 pretty much states that your employer MUST accommodate your military commitments. There are a few exceptions and a couple "reasonable" phrases involved but for the most part the job has to cooperate with the military employee.

That being said, do yourself, your employer, and your military unit a favor and if you are not already in the reserves/NG WAIT until after you finish your academy and FTO before joining. The academy and FTO program are intense training sessions that work much better when you can devote all your time and resources (off duty as well as on duty) to successfully passing the course.

I am sure you can do both, but you would be adding more stress to an already stressful situation.

Also , both the unit and your employer can hold you to "the letter of the law" or be flexible, depending on their view of how they read the USERRA.

I work for a state agency---------------and of course the NG is a state agency. The NG/Reserve officer usually gets what they want within a very broad interpretation.
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The employer must accomodate 15 days per year training. They must also comply with deployements as far as keeping your job/like position.

The funny thing was when I was in the NG I had drill once a month and 2 weeks a year FTX. That was at least 22 days out of the year. That means you may be required to take 10 days a year out of your pocket if you work a weekend shift.
                        The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief_13 View Post
                          How did going active duty affect the LEO job?Or did you not work as a LEo any longer at that point?
                          I quit my civilian LE job and went completely into the military.
                          But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

It’s a shame your agencies would give you crap about it. My agency gives you the time off with pay for drill. It probably helps that about a third of the agency is in the reserves and a bunch more have already done their time before getting into LE.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3449 users online. 176 members and 3273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X