X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodfella
    replied
    Originally posted by janego10 View Post
    my dept treats us like crap for calling in sick. We are constantly forced to bring in doctors excuses for one day missed (which is not free even with insurance). When we call in we have to let the dispatcher know who then forwards it to a supervisor who then calls you back to supposedly get your address for his report (even though its already on file). In fact they're just calling you back to berate you for calling in and having a guy stay over to cover your absence because we are so shorthanded. Theres nothing else to ask since HIPAA laws forbid it unless I volunteer my information (this had been pushed to wayside for years before someone complained.)

I know when i'm really sick I'm basically worthless to everyone. I've come in really feeling like crap and was told to tough it out by the lieutenant. Luckily it was graveyard and I parked the whole night and just took a few calls. I've almost passed out while talking to a complainant because I was so dizzy, but have been told to stick it out to the end of the shift. then you call in the next day......see first paragraph.
    sounds like my dept. Your dept. sounds a little more strict then mine. We have to get a Dr.'s note if we are sick more than 2 days. So if we're sick for only two days we don't need a Dr.'s note. It's absolutely ridiculous that our Watch Commander/Sgt. will call us back after we get off the phone with the dispatcher. It's such a joke that we have to explain what symptoms we have. HEY I'M SICK AND I'M NOT COMING IN...PERIOD.
    Last edited by goodfella; 09-24-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: hi

Leave a comment:

• Jenners
    replied
    I've taken one sick day. One. And that was because I was at my computer trying to find the "law" screen and instead of using our program I kept trying to find it in the Start menu. Not thinking clearly = go home. I went home, slept on the futon with the dog and took drugs, came to work the next day.

People in my dept. with kids bring the germies in. At least, that's who I blame!

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    My department gives us a small buy back each January, its only a few bucks for each month w/ no sick days, if its a whole year then they throw us a little more.
    Its not worth it to come in sick esp. if you're contagious, body aches, serious headache etc where you will be slow to react etc.

Leave a comment:

• fleetguy
    replied
    Had a guy come to work sick on my shift and after a few weeks everybody on my shift who works the west side was sick except for me. I avoid sick people as much as I can, because I'm normaly the first person to catch whatever is going around. As some random citizen was signing her ticket the other day she said "I have a cold" and I said well keep the pen.

Leave a comment:

• mooseyard
    replied
    If I have the Flu, it's a no-brainer. Bathrooms are hard to find in a hurry in the western part of our county. Someone else mentioned that they wouldn't call in so they don't short shift their co-workers. This is a nice gesture, but I bet they would rather be short than get sick from you. A cold or fever and I'll be working.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    woops! Sorry
    Last edited by JAR_fin; 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM. Reason: my bad

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    If you're contagious stay home....otherwise save them. In NY they can be traded in upon retirement for some additional benefits. Or use them when youare denied vacation days.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    If you're sick---stay home. That's what sick leave is for.

Leave a comment:

• Bully
    replied
    Originally posted by yellowreef View Post
    I just stay home. I'm not gonna be any good being anyone's backup if I feel like crap, and my physical and psycological performance will be sub-par.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm also paranoid regarding getting in a shooting or a major TC while being on some type of medication. You never know what the powers that be will do to a guy when he's in an incident that mandates a blood test and you have some kind of med in you that may impede your performance.

Leave a comment:

• 2wheeldep
    replied
    Never take a sick day. It's been said before, it's just as easy to be miserable at work as it is at home, why not get paid.

And yes, MDR has it right.

Leave a comment:

• yellowreef
    replied
    I just stay home. I'm not gonna be any good being anyone's backup if I feel like crap, and my physical and psycological performance will be sub-par.

Leave a comment:

• JDZNate
    replied
    I just stay home and sleep.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    You guys have it all wrong:

Sick days are to buy back twice a year
    Accrued Holiday time is for when you're sick
    Vacation time= Holiday
    Shift swaps are for poker night with the guys (so your wife doesn't find out)

Seriously though, if you show up to work sick you are NOT getting in my car

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    Haven't gotten sick yet.

Leave a comment:

• RCKoutWurGLKout
    replied
    Flu or something else fairly contagious you should stay.

Coughing, headaches, hangovers go to work.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2597 users online. 133 members and 2464 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X