300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9 Question

I'm a LEO hopeful... I'm in the process with a couple agencies right now. But I don't think it's ever too early to think about what I'd like to do after patrol. I've always been interested in the K-9 units.

What is involved in becoming K-9 after being a patrol officer? Are there certain types of people(ie personalities) that they look for to become a K-9 officer? What kind of extra time, money, etc. is involved after becoming a K-9 officer? Anything you might think of that I'm not asking about would be great too... thanks!

Well I'm not a K-9 Officer but have talked to a few at my department. One requirement is excellent physical fitness. Must have a home compatible for a dog. Fenced yard etc.. You train with the dog every week and the dog has to perform several tests so it's only right you do everything you can to help him. Cost is usually paid for by the department and some give you the option to purchase him when it's time for him to retire. I think it's $100.00 or so. Again this is just random information I have picked up and subject to error.

Now start with getting on and enjoying your dream. Good luck and be safe.

Comment

I was a K-9 officer, trainer and unit supervisor for several years. I looked for the "go getter" type officer. One who kept his nose clean and did not have a reputation for being lazy. K-9 can be very demanding and it usually takes at least 3 years to be considered for a position. I would suggest that once you get on with a department, get to know some of the K-9 handlers and volunteer to come out and train with them. When it comes time to test for open positions they will remember those who showed interest early on and who did not.

Comment

Well cant say after patrol.. K-9 will committ you to patrol for quite some time... K-9 is a primary tool of the patrol squad...

I am not K-9 so I cant interject anything about time/cost I can only tell you tha tour K-9 teams are Patrol Only

Comment

Go to the K-9 section on here and ask...that is where you will get some good response.

Comment

Originally posted by cap'n104 View Post
            I would suggest that once you get on with a department, get to know some of the K-9 handlers and volunteer to come out and train with them. When it comes time to test for open positions they will remember those who showed interest early on and who did not.
            +1. Become what they call an agitator. As an agitator you volunteer your time training with the team. It's a great way to get an inside look at the training and how the dogs work. The handlers will remember you and those guys will probably be Sgt's and Supervisors when its your turn to interview for the position.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4137 users online. 243 members and 3894 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X