300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day of Academy Headaches and sense of being lost

First day of the academy and I have come to realize that as a recruit, no matter where you go, you are always being looked at by the citizens and/or other LEO's. Since I am in a police only training facility and will wear a police uniform, citizens will not know the difference between a recruit or an actual police officer. Hence the fact that a recruit must always act like they are an officer, even though they aren't. Man that's a lot of pressure, but understandable.
    Question: After the first day, has anyone been fed with some much info., filled out so much paperwork that their brain starts to hurt by the end of the day? Plus have you ever caught yourself constantly questioning yourself about what do I have to read, what do I have to bring in, what did the instructor say?
    Is this normal for the first day and will this stress/fear go away after the initial orientation/paperwork phase?

Thanks, now off to read BLET
    J
    Let only one man decide your fate... YOU
    Treat everyone with respect, but have a plan to kill them!

Normal..........relax
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Chill out, Honey. It will all make sense here in awhile. Get a planner or just a pad of paper and write down what they tell you you need (to bring, to buy, etc) and where you need to be on what date.

Do NOT go anywhere in that uniform. Go home. If you stop for fuel, take off the outer shirt. People in this State don't know the difference. Don't become a statistic before you even get started.
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

After my first day of the academy, my arms, abs, legs, etc were sore and shaking from exhaustion. Couple that with the book work and other info thrown at us and multiply that by seven months.

There is a reason they put you under all the pressure and stress in the academy. It is something you might not appreciate until the academy is finished, but it has it's purpose.

I'd recommend changing out of the uniform before you even leave the academy at the end of the day. I would not flash the fact that you work for a police department, even driving home in your personal car.

Good luck. PM the city you are working for if you don't mind.

Comment

The first week is the hardest......they just want to see who REALLY wants it.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

First week is always hell week.

Comment

I agree with the relax comment. You'll get it. Just shut up and listen to what is being said. Use common sense and don't over think stuff.

I also agree with the change your shirt when you leave the Academy. Since you look like the police people may expect some type of enforcement should something happen. Untrained and unarmed it's not a good idea to try.

Hope you do well and be safe.

Mark

Comment

Its called culture shock. You will adapt.

Comment

As others have said...it gets better. Just hang in there. Remember, there is nothing they can do that can kill you...so just keep pushing no matter how bad it sucks or how difficult it is. It will be over before you know it.

Comment

There is a reason that my department always starts an academy on a Friday. It gives the recruits the entire weekend to think about whether they want to come back on Monday. You usually have at least one that doesn't.

Mental discipline will serve you well. Early on in the academy you will be able to tell which recruits have their heads together and which ones do not. Some of the ones that don't will get better. The others will be a burden to your class, one that you will have to either accomodate by carrying them somewhat or leave them to drown.
                    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                      Chill out, Honey. It will all make sense here in awhile. Get a planner or just a pad of paper and write down what they tell you you need (to bring, to buy, etc) and where you need to be on what date.

Do NOT go anywhere in that uniform. Go home. If you stop for fuel, take off the outer shirt. People in this State don't know the difference. Don't become a statistic before you even get started.
                      X-2.Welcome to the Academy.

Comment

The academy was cake... the first day on my own after FTO, now that was a different story.
                        Chesterfield County Police

Comment

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/07/...ion/index.html
                          Last edited by Nobody; 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

WOW.. First off thanks to each and every one of you. Everything you all have said is absolutely TRUE. Pile of books 2ft high, getting shocked by the culture of the academy, etc... Thanks for the tips of not wearing my uniform shirt when driving home. I will make sure to pass this along to my fellow classmates. (especially the gung ho ones)

It's only the 3rd day and I feel a lot better. Completed the ethics block and it all made sense on how we all should act around citizens, family, friends, etc.. How we are viewed by the public, other officers, etc... The best feeling is having another officer who has been on the force for 10 years (just got tased for taser training) saying, "welcome to the family, if there is anything you need let me know and BTW, the academy is really not that hard, just commit to it". The sense of reassurance and love you all show to each other is unbelievable. Can't wait to express that to my brothers and sisters when I graduate and to the next rookie class.

Thanks again,
                            JR
                            Let only one man decide your fate... YOU
                            Treat everyone with respect, but have a plan to kill them!

Comment

Sounds like you are acclimating, good! Things will start falling into place faster..............

Best wishes!
                              "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5564 users online. 301 members and 5263 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X