300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning research into a LEO career - advice sought

Good evening all - first off, I've enjoyed reading these forums for a while now - excellent community here.

I decided to register as I've started thinking about the possibility of beginning a career in the NYPD - a long time dream of mine since I was young - and thanks to the state of our economy, I have the opportunity of considering a new career

I have already registered for the officer exam and plan on picking up an application this week - with that said, the reason why I am posting here is because I am not too certain what path would be best taken as I am 27 with a masters degree... does my level of education open any doors or change the way in which I proceed?

I'm not looking for a quick way up the ladder, just some opinions, advice and to have my expectations set on the best way to pursue a career with the added bonus of a masters under my belt...

Forgot to add - I have no experience with police work, or even a military background - I'm an nyc public school teacher (public service means a lot to me)...

I know this is an odd question, but, thank you in advance for your advice and guidance!

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum...
    Last edited by TrailWolf; 09-20-2009, 11:57 PM.

I would recomend this to anyone considering LE. Ride with a busy agency and volunteer to do all the writing for the officer your with. If the paperwork doesn't change your desire then you'll do fine.

You won't be able to write some of the stuff but you'll get a good idea of the part cops doesn't show people.
    Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

Originally posted by TrailWolf View Post
      Good evening all - first off, I've enjoyed reading these forums for a while now - excellent community here.

I decided to register as I've started thinking about the possibility of beginning a career in the NYPD - a long time dream of mine since I was young - and thanks to the state of our economy, I have the opportunity of considering a new career

I have already registered for the officer exam and plan on picking up an application this week - with that said, the reason why I am posting here is because I am not too certain what path would be best taken as I am 27 with a masters degree... does my level of education open any doors or change the way in which I proceed?

I'm not looking for a quick way up the ladder, just some opinions, advice and to have my expectations set on the best way to pursue a career with the added bonus of a masters under my belt...

Forgot to add - I have no experience with police work, or even a military background - I'm an nyc public school teacher (public service means a lot to me)...

I know this is an odd question, but, thank you in advance for your advice and guidance!

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum...
      I don't know anything about NY other than I wouldn't live or work there.

I was a science teacher prior to quitting that scut and getting into law enforcement. The master's degree will probably just start you out higher on the salary schedule and there are some departments they may offer hiring points for such advanced degrees as well. Again, I have no personal knowledge of NYPD's employment practices. I was working on a master's degree in school administration when I decided to quit it all.

As an aside, one of my initial interests when I became a city officer was becoming an SRO although I never did that, and it's an impossibility now since I've since left municipal enforcement for natural resource enforcement.

Also, I want to add that I must be a weirdo because I actually enjoy the reports and paper work that the other guy mentioned not liking. They're just another part of the mind game that makes law enforcement enjoyable to me.

You may want to apply to some other agencies as well since, from what I gather, there are a lot of LE agencies operating in and around NYC.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4342 users online. 200 members and 4142 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X