300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserve K-9?

Hello everyone. I'm a reserve deputy at my county department. We as reserves at the department are sworn deputies and have full arrest powers. I am very interested in K-9 police work. At the department we only have 1 K-9. I have a 1 1/2 year old doberman. He is very attentative and well behaved. I have found K-9 police training at a local place. I am willing to pay for the training myself. What is everyones opinions on reserve K-9 units? Are there any departments that have reserve K-9 deputies? Thanks to everyone in advance for your comments and opinions.

brandon911

Maybe there are departments that do it, but the liability and personal commitment wouldn't be worth it for a reserve or part time job. It's not like all the car where you leave it at the station and pick it up when you come in as a reserve or part time officer, it stays at home with you, and responsible for it 100% of the time. If you ever go full time, then yes it's worth it all if its something you're interested in.

Comment

Having a k-9 is a fulltime job. It's lots of constant training for you and your partner. I don't see a department putting the time into having a reserve do it.

Comment

K9 is too much of a liability for reserves. My agency has our handlers and dogs train 8 hours a week every week along with on duty training and the handler has to document everything the dog is used for on duty. The training requirements are so time consuming that only a full time officer could handle them. K9 handlers also get an extra allowance to cover all the extra care and work they have to put in off duty to keep the dogs fit for duty. A bond has to be built and maintained between the officer and the dog, it’s not a part time or now and then thing. I would assume from your post that you want to use your personal dog. The drive and personality of the dog has a lot to do with being selected for working and it all starts as a puppy, so your dog is way too old to start if it was even possible to consider to begin with.

The point is that it is never going to happen and that’s not to be mean it is just the truth.
        I enjoy life on the dirtroad

Comment

You know what...The only person that can truly give you a full and honest answer is your Chief.

Comment

I think that the others are pretty dead on in their points about the K9 being a full-time commitment and possible liability. I have also never heard of a K9 reserve (but here in MN, reserves are not sworn).

However, you are fully sworn as a reserve and I assume you have the same training as the full-timers (i.e. you are a cop and no different then me), so in that sense I would fully support a reserve K9 if your department thought it was practical.

Either way, good luck!
            "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
            "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

Comment

I disagree that it could never happen. Jersey village, Texas police had reserve K-9 a while back. They actually used bloodhounds that were very effective and were often used to track by area departments. I don't know if they still have them because I don't work around there anymore.

We used them several times before we got our own unit and the suspects were always found. The only drawback is the delayed response time.
              sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Tracking and detection dogs are a logical maybe.

No way would a part time Patrol dog be a good idea.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

You need to talk to your chief or sheriff. Who is going to pay for ongoing training, ins., food, vet bills, etc.?

Comment

I've been in the reserves for my county for 4 years now. We have 2 Search and Rescue/Recover dogs. The handlers and the dogs travel all over the USA doing searches.

Comment

Originally posted by ford_shooter View Post
                      I've been in the reserves for my county for 4 years now. We have 2 Search and Rescue/Recover dogs. The handlers and the dogs travel all over the USA doing searches.

Hello. Are the dogs reserve dogs or full-time dogs?

brandon911

Comment

brandon,

There is a HUGE difference between SAR dogs and working Patrol dogs.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brandon911 View Post
                          Hello. Are the dogs reserve dogs or full-time dogs?

brandon911
                          I'd say they were full time dogs. I mean, I guess they could be a dog only sometimes, but I couldn't tell you what else they could be. I met a girl one time who I thought was part dog, maybe she was come to think about it.
                          sigpic

" 'Blessed are the Peacemakers', is, I suppose, to be understood in the other world, for in this one they are frequently cursed." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3124 users online. 164 members and 2960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X