300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Opinions

I am not sure if I should have posted this under LE topics; however, if I am wrong please correct me. Anyhow, I have a dilemma. Saturday, I have an obligation to fill at the sheriff's office as my position there; however, I was also called to take a test for a sworn officer position at a local pd. However, both are extremely important obligations I need to fill. The problem: Both obligations are at the EXACT same time and date. And my sergeant INSISTS/DEMANDED that I fulfill my obligations on Saturday at the sheriff's office; HOWEVER, I really want to take this test, because the next test is not until DECEMBER! In your own opinion, what is the best option for me, knowing only those circumstances? Any opinions?? And if you have a better place where I should post this please let me know. I'm just confused, sorry for taking up time. This is just one of those topics that I cannot figure out in a split second, and would like a few opinions from LEO.
    Last edited by az4code23; 09-20-2009, 08:07 PM.
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

If you're a sworn deputy then I'd say you need to fulfill the obligations at the Sheriff's Office. If you're a civilian employee, jailer, etc, i'd say speak to someone higher up, let them know about your desire to be a sworn officer. Any good supervisor is going to encourage you to advance your career and go for your goals.
    Originally posted by K40
    To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
    ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

I concur with PtlCop.
      It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
      Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

If possible, I would find someone else to cover for you at the Sheriff's office on Saturday so you can take the test. Failing that, find out if there is alternate testing being done.

In the end, your obligation to the Sheriff existed long before your desire to take this particular test existed. I would be VERY hesitant to burn your bridges when you are looking to get a full-time job....
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Looking at your profile you are an auxillary member. If the PD position is a full time position what would the problem. You have to make a living. Aux would take the backseat.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Can't you do a shift trade or adjust your hours? Are you a PT civilian employee or what? I don't see why they can't work with you if the test is in Dec.

Comment

Thank you all for your insights and advice. I talked to my supervisor and he encouraged me to take the test at the local pd for a full time sworn position this Saturday. So, I will be doing so. Thank you, and I appreciate all your insights and advice, it is well appreciated. God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by az4code23 View Post
                Thank you all for your insights and advice. I talked to my supervisor and he encouraged me to take the test at the local pd for a full time sworn position this Saturday. So, I will be doing so. Thank you, and I appreciate all your insights and advice, it is well appreciated. God bless.
                Glad it worked out. Good luck on the exam, and, what was the problem in the first place? None of my business really, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                  Glad it worked out. Good luck on the exam, and, what was the problem in the first place? None of my business really, just curious.
                  Thanks. And what had happened is I had auxiliary duty on Saturday the 26th, and the local PD had scheduled the testing date on the 26th also. I was confused because I had already told my supervisor at the SO that I would work this Saturday 26th a month ago for a special event on the other end of the county. In addition, the problem was between dedication to the SO or future career goals as a sworn officer. In conclusion, I wasn't sure if I should have waited until December and take the test for the spring academy, or take it this Saturday for the winter academy. Then after reading the advice on here, I concluded that it's best to take the opportunity now, instead of wait until the winter, because with budgeting issues, who knows, they may cancel the winter testing. However, now I have things figured out. Sometimes, I just need a little advice; and I am thankful for the advice you and the other LEOs have given me. As I said before, it is greatly appreciated! God Bless.

Comment

Okay, best of luck.

Comment

Good luck on Saturday.

Comment

Well that worked out nicely. And we didn't have to quote case law either.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                          Well that worked out nicely. And we didn't have to quote case law either.
                          LMAO! - I think from reading case law on so many threads on here I can state it w/o even looking!

And thanks for the luck, I hope reading that ENTIRE ARCO book 6 times, and running miles a day and pushups every day, and not to include all the hideous ranch and farm work my pa makes me do every day (keeps me strong though) helps out a lot; not to mention the advice from real LEOs on this forum; as well as dedication. I'd say I'm quite prepared! - I'll keep everyone posted!
                          Last edited by az4code23; 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5056 users online. 284 members and 4772 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X