300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• druggie roommate?

Well, I am in a bit of a predicament, and am hoping you guys in here could give me some advice with this situation. (By the way, thanks all again for helping with my last question on the forums). Anyways, I go to a university in Colorado, and am in the dorms again for my sophmore year, with the same roommate. He is a real quiet, extremely feminine (possibly gay) guy, who doesn't talk to anyone really and is a recluse. He is given prescriptions by the university for Zoloft and now Ritalin, claiming he has ADHD and a "hard time studying." He takes all pills orally, and although he is a weird individual, i chose him to be my roomie again just because I can trust him with not stealing anything from me, etc. so we have a good relationship. That is, until I walked in on him last week cooking up a white substance in a spoon. Now, I was speechless and my first reaction was that he was cooking up heroin in our room (I am drug free, but with my mother having worked in a drug rehab facility for over 30 years, I understand exactly what's going on).

I confront him about it, and he told me not to worry, it's just his Ritalin. I ask why he is about to shoot it up, and he told me that he just started shooting so that it "bypasses his metabolism and he gets the effect faster." He also told me that he is being prescribed 30mg of it, and is now taking 130mg, 3 times daily. He does not have Diabetes, or any prescription that would allow him to have syringes, and to make matters worse, I walked in last night to a 5% NaCl fluids bag hanging from the bottom of his bed, that's used for IV drip. I know for a fact he lifted the needles and bag(s) off the veterinary hospital he worked at over the summer, because I worked at one in California and we used all those daily. His only prescriptions are Zoloft and Ritalin at this point, he does marijuana occasionally and is now talking about buying Dilaudid as well (illegally of course).

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to include all facts and information for you to get as much of an idea as you can about what is going on. On to my question, my mother has told me to get out of the dorm and move rooms immediately, and I agree with her 100%, but should I even spend time trying to tell him to stop doing it in the dorm? I know it's just a matter of time before a syringe falls out of his bag or he leaves it somewhere, and our housekeeping or someone of authority walks by and sees it, and we both get questioned. I don't want any part of this, so I am planning on asking to be moved tomorrow, but what are your guys' thoughts or advice on this situation? He doesn't do heroin, I know for a fact; but this could easily escalate to doing that, especially after being told he wants to get his hands on Dilaudid. Thank you for any help you can provide.

2 words....move out. Not really much else to say. If it bothers you enough to bring it up then roll out.
    "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

Comment

COrancher, are you here because we're just a wise and witty (and quite often breathtakingly handsome) group? Or are you here for all that, and you want to be in law enforcement, one day?

My answer to your original question, depends upon your repuesta to this pregunta!
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

haha keith, not at the moment. I don't know any LEO's personally where I live, so I use this to get advice/help on things, and unlike many others, I have respect for every LEO, whether in casual conversation or in a traffic stop. When I lived in Southern California, there would be no way in hell I'd be an officer there; LA is just too risky and crime-ridden, and I have the highest respect for the LEO's that work around all that. But here in Northern Colorado, I could see a future in it possibly...Law enforcement definitely interests me, but at the moment I'm pursuing an Agriculture major. Thanks for your guys' responses though!

Comment

Move out. If I showed up to your dorm and saw these things; and he lied and said it wasn't his, I would probably cite both of you.

Comment

Contact your AD or RA whatever you guys call your student housing people in charge of your dorm. They will have proper procedure to remove you from the situation and to help him.
            Having worked at a college before that is normally what would happen. Now you can call the police in to play where officers would probably charge someone. You have to two choices you must determine whats best for situation. But you must get away from it now before you get caught up in it.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Move. He is an addict. It not uncommon for people to hoard and use Ritalin recreationally. Thats the first time I have heard of anyone doing it intraveinously with ritalin, but if he was at a veterinary hospital he may have gotten a bit stronger drugs than ritalin.

A drug addict can't be trusted for anything or with anything. He may have been a great roomate last year but that may change really soon.

Do yourself a favor and do away with the problem now. Thats one less problem you will have to deal with tommorrow.
              Last edited by Monkeybomb; 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Get out of there quick. You only have a limited expectation of privacy in a dorm and it can be searched w/o your consent and then it will be a game of finger pointing.

Either drop a dime or get a new roommate.

Also you know what an addict will become when they can't feed their habit on their own. Next he will start stealing your stuff to help pay for his addiction when the prescription isn't enough anymore.

And really, you are not helping him by letting him abuse the narcotics.
                Last edited by wirefire2; 09-20-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I agree with the move out, but it's not uncommon for people to shoot up their prescriptions.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. Wire, I know letting him abuse it is not good, and I appreciate your comment, but what can I do? An addict is not going to stop at a few comments against him. I'm going tomorrow morning like I said to request a moveout immediately. On a side note, he's not using the drip bag for his meds, he just, has it there to use..I'm not sure why, but anyways, I understand the situation and am going to deal with it asap. It just sucks when your roommate, knowingly or unknowingly puts you in this predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by COrancher View Post
                      Thanks for all your input. Wire, I know letting him abuse it is not good, and I appreciate your comment, but what can I do? An addict is not going to stop at a few comments against him. I'm going tomorrow morning like I said to request a moveout immediately. On a side note, he's not using the drip bag for his meds, he just, has it there to use..I'm not sure why, but anyways, I understand the situation and am going to deal with it asap. It just sucks when your roommate, knowingly or unknowingly puts you in this predicament.
                      No, YOU are putting yourself in this predicament! You are in College? You KNEW what to do before you asked this question.

By remaining you are giving tacit approval to his actions.

GET OUT!
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

My old department DQ'ed an otherwise excellent candidate when he revealed that his college roommmate did/sold marijuana. The issue being that a police department expects you to point out dirty cops, reporting misconduct, when you find them. If one has not modeled that kind of behavior, before, all of a sudden we now expect one to do it?

As has been said, time for a new roommate. Besides, it's only a matter of time before he (or another one of his druggie friends) starts taking your stuff.

There is another thing you might consider. That's only if you care about his well-being. Get the names of his prescribing doctors off his meds bottles. Locate and write the doctor an anonymous letter which states: "Dear Dr. ______. Just in case you have a patient named, _____ _. ______ (DOB: 00-00-00) you need to know that he's taking the meds you prescribe him, particularly XXXX and YYYY, and cooking it up for injection rather than oral ingestion, he's also taking it along with ______. You may wish to screen him for an addiction problem."
                        Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Roadking I understand what you are saying, but by "last week" I meant thursday. Friday I had exams and the offices close early on campus to alert anybody of what is happening, which is why I'm going tomorrow. I meant it was short notice about realizing what he was doing; he didn't do this last year so what foreknowledge would I have had that he was going to do it this year? I'm just reporting on what I walked into; had I known he even might have been doing this earlier, I would have been out by now. I guess my real question would have been should I confront him about it before moving out, but it's become apparent that I need to skip that step and just get out. I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but just understand this is a kind of "all-of-a-sudden" deal rather than I knew about it and am stalling to report it.

Comment

Originally posted by wirefire2 View Post
                            Get out of there quick. You only have a limited expectation of privacy in a dorm and it can be searched w/o your consent and then it will be a game of finger pointing.

Either drop a dime or get a new roommate.

Also you know what an addict will become when they can't feed their habit on their own. Next he will start stealing your stuff to help pay for his addiction when the prescription isn't enough anymore.

And really, you are not helping him by letting him abuse the narcotics.
                            That is not correct. A dorm room is the same as an apartment. Cops just can't go in and root through his stuff because he is in college.

Go to your RA or AC or whatever they are called.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5436 users online. 304 members and 5132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X