Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneaking Suspicion, Please Give Advice.

I am a manager at a store near the "hood". Usually, we don't have much trouble other than shoplifters and the occasional irate customer. With that being said, our shifts usually consist of one person opening and two people closing. I pulled up to work today to find a car parked in a far corner of my parking lot facing the entrance of my store. I walk in, set the safe and go to the back to do some paperwork--takes a whole 5 minutes. I come back to the front of the store and see that the car is gone. I look around both sides of our building to see if it is there and it is not. I go to set the alarm and take the deposit to the bank and notice the same car sitting across the way in a grocery store parking lot--aimed at my store. I get in my car, head to the bank keeping in mind that this person is acting suspicious...so I look to see if he's following me. He isn't. I come out of the bank, and low and behold the same car is in the drive-thru atm lane. I go to get the license plate number as it is close enough to see now...yet, he speeds away.
    My question is...is this enough suspicion to file a report? I believe he may be trying to case the store. (we have had one robbery in the 4 years that I've worked there. Yes, it was the opening deposit.)
    Also, is there any advice you can give me regarding what I can do in order to secure my own safety?
    Sky above me, Earth below me.... FIRE inside me

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Originally posted by KSU2010 View Post
    My question is...is this enough suspicion to file a report? I believe he may be trying to case the store. (we have had one robbery in the 4 years that I've worked there. Yes, it was the opening deposit.)

Call it in as a suspicious vehicle. Describe as best you can what it's doing and why that's odd. We'd be happy to check it out. Your call likely gives us PC to stop the car without a traffic violation (depends on several factors) and ID people. We LOVE to do that.

Also, is there any advice you can give me regarding what I can do in order to secure my own safety?

Yes! Get a permit to carry a handgun concealed, and wear it on your person (not in a purse or bag) for every shift. I would work at a stop-and-rob unarmed just as often as I would work a beat in a patrol car unarmed, which is to say NOT ON YOUR LIFE, because that is what it might come down to. Your is a dangerous profession, particularly close to the hood.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I actually do want to get a permit, however, I am unaware as to whether or not I can even have a concealed carry license, while on my college campus at least. Also, we aren't really a "stop-n-rob" as much as a movie store. :-/ But, in lieu of a gun right now, would I be able to legally carry a metal rod.. say, from my closet for defense?

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock. -Squirrel

so you feel like confucious just jumped out of your stale dessert and bestowed infinite wisdom upon you and your grease-filled tummy. - Evan

Comment

I actually do want to get a permit, however, I am unaware as to whether or not I can even have a concealed carry license, while on my college campus at least. Also, we aren't really a "stop-n-rob" as much as a movie store. :-/ But, in lieu of a gun right now, would I be able to legally carry a metal rod.. say, from my closet for defense?
        Good Grief Charlie Brown .... NO!!! If you get held up, give up the money, cooperate and be the best witness possible.

Comment

Sorry about that - I read "convenience store" when you wrote "store." Not sure why!

Seriously doubt you could carry a club of any size on your person - check your state's laws. I would get a folding knife with the little knob, so that with practice you can open it as you pull it. You might look into an assisted-opener, but that might be seen as an illegal knife where you are. Again, check the laws. I would look around your area at self-defense places and see if you can find someone who teaches edged weapons. A trained person with a knife is very capable, although it's not a gun, of course. Also, think pepper spray, although I'm not sure how much good that would be in a holdup situation! Might just make 'em mad. Actually, scratch the "might" part! But it might be good for the walk to the car at 2 AM.
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Originally posted by LT Dangle View Post
            Good Grief Charlie Brown .... NO!!! If you get held up, give up the money, cooperate and be the best witness possible.
            Oh, trust me, I value my life more than what our average deposit is( thus, I'd readily give them the money, but I still have a paranoia about my safety following). Although, I will admit, I have been known to chase shoplifters out of the store before. Since we got a new store manager, most of our "usual" shoplifters are hesitant to come in--because she routinely walks around with a razor blade and flicks it when she see them. So go figure, we minimize the shoplifting-but up the ante with potential casing of the store.

Schoolcop- Thanks for all of your advice, thus far. I really appreciate it. I honestly, didn't even think about a knife. I do have an item(technically considered a weapon, but most people just view it as a key chain) attached to my keys that can be used as a weapon as well, however, I would have to be extremely close in order to use it. That is mainly for those, 2 am walks I still feel a little paranoid-but knowing that I can call it as a suspicious vehicle over all else does help the most.

Comment

deleted-double post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5544 users online. 299 members and 5245 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X