• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Yankee_1
    Forum Member

• Yankee_1
    replied
    Another decision by a boss who has no idea of what is needed by the cops that actually work the roads! I use my cell alot for work purposes, calling dispatch, calling my Sgt, calling victims(*67 of course). Im willing to bet the chief thinks computers are a fad!

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    Molon Labe

• LA DEP
    replied
    Not only did we do police work without cell phones, we also got along just fine without MDTs too......

God forbid you make something besides a 'Nintendo arrest' these days......

Are cell phones convenient?.....of course......are they necessary to do the job safely and effectively......not really......you do not have to be in phone communication 24/7......

Leave a comment:

• Delta_V
    Forum Member

• Delta_V
    replied
    For those who say that they did the job just fine for years without a cell phone, that argument really doesn't hold much water. Police work was done for years without any sort of portable communication devices, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have adopted mobile radios and kept call boxes. As others have pointed out, cell phones in some areas are necessary for safe communications where radios are unreliable. To require these officers to give up their cell phones is detrimental to their safety, no matter how things were done before cell phones.

Secondly, a department and/or union must have some pretty crappy lawyers if officers are getting their personal cell phone records subpoenaed. That's been tried unsuccessfully here. It's a different story with departmental cell phones actually used to conduct investigations, but the records from those phones are usually already part of the evidence and don't need to be subpoenaed by the defense. The only way some attorney is going to get your cell phone records because you use it to talk to your sergeant is if you or your department puts up no fight.

Leave a comment:

• Presence 1*
    Forum Member

• Presence 1*
    replied
    A cell phone is a convenience. It is much more convenient to place a call to your Lt. or one of the Investigators while AT the scene of something than to leave the scene to return to the dept to make a phone call or speak with them, then return to the scene to finish business there.

I am of the belief that we shouldn't be on the phones while driving - but I certainly don't think the phones should be taken away.

At my department, some of the officers conduct official business on their phones, and some return to the dept. to make phone calls. It is up to personal choice.

If you get in an accident because you were on your phone and not paying attention, I have a feeling you'd be in it up to your elbows here, but they aren't going to take phones away or ban them - they encourage phone calls to each other in lieu of radio traffic around here. I just wish they'd contribute some to our phone bill since sometimes phone calls are unavoidable.

Leave a comment:

• LAschoolCop
    Colonel Skool

• LAschoolCop
    replied
    My dept does not require us to have a cellphone but since we are so spread out (700+ Sq miles) we have to call HQ and our Sgts alot. So unless they give us all dept cellphones...we need our own, which is a tax write off

Leave a comment:

• QRF
    Forum Member

• QRF
    replied
    You haven't lived until your phone records from your personal phone get subpoenaed by a sharp defense attorney and now a gang member, and all his friends have your number along with your family's. The dumbest thing you can do is take pictures of crime scenes with your personal phones and to use your personal cellphone for making official calls here and there. A few guys on our department found this out the hard way when they had to turn over all phone records and ALL pictures on their cellphone device.

Leave a comment:

• TEX_DEPUTY
    Forum Member

• TEX_DEPUTY
    replied
    I use my cellphone every day at work. Yes, some of it is BSing but about 95% of it is LE related. I use the phone for a total of about 15 minutes a day while at work.

Leave a comment:

• District B 13
    Forum Member

• District B 13
    replied
    What a bunch of whiners.

Your X or whaterver can call dispatch if they need to get ahold of you in an emergency. 90% of cell phone calls are just BSing.

Why don't you all try and look out the window and listen for what's going on in your beat instead of talking all day long on the phone. You are paid to do a job, not yakity yak.

And to answer the question about how can you work without one? Well...my stats answer that. I don't need one to live, I use it as a TOOL, not as a replacement for good police work.

If they want you to have one, they will issue it to you. Try getting off the Xbox and gamboy and doing the damn job!

Good for the Chief!

Leave a comment:

• Re-Birth
    Forum Member

• Re-Birth
    replied
    I think that it should be allowed with the understanding that your cell phone will be intergrated into the emergency communications system. If used properly, it can be an effective tool. Though handhelds are reliable, its always good to have a backup form of communication... Communications are your lifeline!

With that being said, I understand the Chief's sentiment. Too often I see fellow officers patrolling while on their cell, and it's as if they have blinders on, absolutely NO situtational awareness. Without even trying, I've walked up to them chatting in their patrol cars and startled them. In the wrong hands a vital tool can become an officer safety detriment. But I think denying cell use should be on a case by case basis, targeting officers who have proven to abuse or misused the privilege, not a dept wide policy.

Leave a comment:

• JKralC104
    Forum Member

• JKralC104
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Wow.....how in the world did I ever do police work for the first 13 years of my career without a cell phone.....
    +1

Not that I have 13 years on but I worked my first agency and didn't even OWN a cell phone.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    Molon Labe

• LA DEP
    replied
    Wow.....how in the world did I ever do police work for the first 13 years of my career without a cell phone.....

Leave a comment:

• GCFox
    La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

• GCFox
    replied
    I carry my cellphone in my vehicle at all times. It's good for communication when dispatch or tac channels are tied up. I however do find it a big pet peeve when folks carry around their phone and let it make noise while we're clearing a building at 2 in the morning...

Leave a comment:

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    Click it or Ticket!!!

• DARE_SUPPORTER
    replied
    I carry my personal and work cell, at all time on duty cause 99.99999999999999999999999% of the time I cant get my dispatch on the radio only the local LE's

Leave a comment:

• ShantyIrish
    Sheepdog

• ShantyIrish
    replied
    Wow....80% of my on duty communication is via cell phone, to communicate with my other teams working, supervisors, the office etc etc. We only use radios for emergencies or requesting immediate back-up. Granted it's not uniform patrol and we don't receive regular calls for service and so forth, but even so, our patrol guys use cell phones constantly to talk to det's over a certain assignment they're on etc etc. At any call that requires a report to be made, they call it in to a data processing center and dictate it to the operator who logs into the computer for them. They do this right from their car. It keeps them out there on the street, and they can get back into service quicker.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    Forum Member

• DACP
    replied
    We just went through a huge battle over this, management said no can’t have, the union said that’s’ BS, in the end we fell somewhat in the middle, we can have them but we cannot use them if the vehicle is in motion, on a call, or actively engaged in duties. Me and the family have an understanding no calls during duty unless an emergency.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4146 users online. 251 members and 3895 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X