Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Academy Orientation: How to address an officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Orientation: How to address an officer?

The academy starts this Monday. 9/21/09 Unbelievable amount of excitement, great feeling of pride and accomplishment. I am also very nervous. (which I believe to be a normal reaction)

I've been told that on the first day besides filling out the usual paperwork and receiving our p/t uniforms, we will be meeting the Chief of Police, other high ranking officers and a number of city counsel members and possibly the local media. In regards to addressing the Chief of Police and other officers, how would I address them. Do I say, "Nice to meet you Chief", or do I say, "Nice to meet you sir". And how can I determine who is a Sgt., Captain, etc..
    Is sir an appropriate salute if I am unaware or forget what the rank of that officer is?

This is a meet and greet, so I will be speaking with these individuals.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    JR
    Let only one man decide your fate... YOU
    Treat everyone with respect, but have a plan to kill them!

Rank and last name. Read the name tag before you attempt to shake their hand otherwise you won't look them in the eye.

Comment

Rank (if you know it) or Sir. First day, meet and greet? You are new and not expected to know chevrons, birds and bars. You will learn in Academy

Congratulations!
      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Thanks MikeyMedic, the reading the name tag tip will come in handy and should be pretty easy to read and as I walk up to them.
        RoadkingTrooper:
        First day, meet and greet?
        I think this is a great idea for any new recruits. It's an ice breaker that will give the Chief and others a chance to give the new recruits some words of encouragement.
        You are new and not expected to know chevrons, birds and bars.
        You are so right, because I don't even know what a chevron is or a bird. :-)
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JRPD View Post
          Thanks MikeyMedic, the reading the name tag tip will come in handy and should be pretty easy to read and as I walk up to them.
          RoadkingTrooper: I think this is a great idea for any new recruits. It's an ice breaker that will give the Chief and others a chance to give the new recruits some words of encouragement. You are so right, because I don't even know what a chevron is or a bird. :-)
          Thanks
          Chevron = the place where you get all your free donuts and coffee you FUTURE CORRUPT COP!!!!

Just kidding. Sir works just fine. Don't be so nervous when speaking with them. Speak to them as if they're the President (because for you, for the next several months, they basically are), but don't be afraid of them.

Comment

"Sir" "Maam" as the case might be. Always appropriate. Never fails. BTW. congratulations.

Comment

Chevron = the place where you get all your free donuts and coffee you FUTURE CORRUPT COP!!!!
              I'm located in the Krispy Kreme HQ state. So I think I can do a little bit better then Chevron. Besides they're always hot at Krispy Kreme. :-)

Thanks for your tip. President, mother, father, wife: For the next 7 months they will be all to me.

Comment

"Sir" "Maam" as the case might be. Always appropriate. Never fails. BTW. congratulations.
                That's what I've been raised with. Sir/Maam. The chief who 99% of the time will stand out will get the Hello Chief.
                Thanks PhilipCal, I'll be looking forward to your responses as I'll continue to post questions during this wonderful adventure I am about to embrace.

Comment

The Chief should be addressed as Supreme Spatula or His Spatulaness.

The Sergeant should be called Master of Squids or Tiddlywinks depending on the situation.

Any other senior officer you should call Ponch, Farva, or Tackleberry depending on the size of their mustache.

If the officer is female you must must never look them in the eye and stare at the floor and end every sentence with the phrase "caramel gives me gas".

Lastly before you even attempt to speak to any senior officer you must properly salute them by extending the thumb of your right hand and touch the tip of your nose with the end of your thumb. Then stick the other four fingers straight in the air and wiggle them while saying "Robble robble robble".

Keep these rules in mind and they will make you Commander of the Zamboni within a week.

Comment

General rank insignia markings(As PtlCop pointed out, these can vary and are agency specific):

Chief / Sheriff:

Assistant Cheif / Undersheriff:

Captain:

Lieutenant:

Sergeant:

Corporal:

As I am not a sworn officer, I am going to phrase the above information in the form of the question asked to sworn officers: Is my above information correct?
                    Last edited by SSD; 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

Comment

Originally posted by SSD View Post
                      Rank insignia markings:

Chief / Sheriff:

Assistant Cheif / Undersheriff:

Captain:

Lieutenant:

Sergeant:

Corporal:

As I am not a sworn officer, I am going to phrase the above information in the form of the question asked to sworn officers (therefore not responding but rather asking for re-clarification, you see? :P) : Is my above information correct?
                      Depends on the agency. My Chief wears one star, our Assistant Chief wears an Eagle. Our Captains, Lt's and Sgt's wear bars and chevrons as above. We don't have the rank of "Corporal" anyone in our agency wearing two chevrons is a Master Patrol Officer or Field Training Officer (if they are both, the Field Training Officer is identified by a small "T" underneath the chevrons. Our Majors wear a standard oak leaf.

While these might not be the norm, it shows that there's no standardized insignia. It'd be awfully embarassing on your first day to go in and call a guy "Corporal" only to find out that the two chevrons mean "Master Patrol Officer"
                      Originally posted by K40
                      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

Wirefire, I've always wanted to be king of the zamboni. :-)
                        But Ill take the advice of the top posters and use sir/maam and look at their id tag if I am aware of their rank. But thanks for the laugh.

Comment

Chiefs around here wear colonel's eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                            Agree 100%

You will be instructed in who is who and what is what for your department.

You will find that some places have majors that wear oak leaves-------others have Commanders that wear oak leaves...................etc

A good Sir or Maam is generic but effective.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Please know what the insignia are and how to refer to them. I remember, early in my academy, holding the thinking position while being quizzed by the instructor. The instructor's ask one recruit, "Describe the rank insignia of a Lt. Colonel in the _____ Police Department." The recruit pauses for a moment, then replies "A gold flower, sir!" "POLICE OFFICERS DO NOT WEAR FLOWERS, RECRUIT!" was the immediate reply.

We learned what an oak leaf was while doing push-ups.
                              Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
                              Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
                              Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
                              Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3391 users online. 214 members and 3177 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X