300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had to jump in the water...

you'll have your duty belt off prolly, but what about the vest? I doubt u'll be taking that off and all....

so if you go in with that, and the vest gets soaked, afaik the vest is now ruined.

ya think your dept will issue you a new one?

If I have to jump in the water it will be to save a life. Thats my job. [I]MY[I] dept wouldnt have a problem with shelling out an extra grand to replace it. The life is worth a hell of a lot more than a vest.
    It most likely wouldnt be that time consuming to take it off, though...an extra couple of seconds.
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I wear an outter vest carrier so it wouldn't take anymore time to take the vest off as it did my gun belt.

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
        I wear an outter vest carrier so it wouldn't take anymore time to take the vest off as it did my gun belt.
        good point...

Comment

Our boat crews wear an outter vest carrier and quick release nylon gun belts just for this reason.
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

So you would just abandon your weapon when you jump in? I understand saving the life is top priority I'm just curious. I've always been taught to never abandon your weapon but mine is owned by Uncle Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesotan View Post
              So you would just abandon your weapon when you jump in? I understand saving the life is top priority I'm just curious. I've always been taught to never abandon your weapon but mine is owned by Uncle Sam.
              "Sorry, I couldn't save your husband's life because I couldn't abandon my weapon"

Please, re-read what you wrote, realize how naive you sound and think long and hard about your next question...
              LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

I am normally pretty close to my vehicle unless I am in a foot pursuit, so I would dump as much as I could into the truck and jump in. But it is situation dependant. If the water is moving and they are being swept along as opposed to trapped in a vehicle or something the situation is going to be different. I am not going to care about equipment or policies if someone is going to die and I can stop it.

Comment

I've been in the water with gear on and I won't do it again. IF I go in the water, it'll be with nothing but pants on.

Comment

I'm in the Marine division and we don't wear vests when we're patrolling on the boats just for that reason. If you make a determination to go in the water, you have about 1/2 a second to shed your pistol belt and go. No time to take off your shirt to get to a vest. Usually stays in the unit, when I come off the water, I put the vest on.

Comment

Originally posted by andy5746 View Post
                      "Sorry, I couldn't save your husband's life because I couldn't abandon my weapon"

Please, re-read what you wrote, realize how naive you sound and think long and hard about your next question...
                      We are told here that if someone is drowning in the water and we are on the harbor boats that we are NOT to jump into the water because of the 240b machine gun and our sidearms that are on board. We are not to abandon our weapons. So, it maybe "naive" but it is policy.

Comment

We are told here that if someone is drowning in the water and we are on the harbor boats that we are NOT to jump into the water because of the 240b machine gun and our sidearms that are on board. We are not to abandon our weapons. So, it maybe "naive" but it is policy.
                        That's not a bad policy either. Per my previous post, you have about a 1/2 second to make a decision whether you're going in or not. Would I jump out of my boat to try to rescue an adult man or would I throw him the donut ring and pull him in that way. Probably wouldn't jump in for an adult, but for an infant or young child, I'm going in the water, no questions asked. You also have to consider if you're the only person on your boat or not. You can't just leave your 24 foot cruiser sitting idling in the water. Maybe a small 16 ft flat boat, but not a cabin cruiser. When / if we go in the water, that the reason we wear quick release nlyon gear and no vest when on the boats.

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup View Post
                          Aha! I knew there was a reason for this!!
                          sigpic
                          Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                          And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

All of our boats are two deputies at least. Our boat operators are also trained rescue divers.
                            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

We just had a guy about a month ago that had to jump in after someone...He was first on scene. There was no one that he could secure his gear with, so he jumped right in. The department wound up buying him all new items no questions asked i.e. cell phone, vest, a uniform, and I think maybe a taser. Small price to pay to save a life. He got a metal of valor by the way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3595 users online. 136 members and 3459 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X