300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion:

I'm a 16 year old kid, and i recently got a possession charge for marijuana. Obviously i smoke it, and am an avid user. However, i don't believe all the stuff that is said about it. It hasn't led to anything harder, i am actually quiet afraid of harder drugs and what could happen, and you can not function on alcohol at all. Ciggarettes have nicotine, and all those other chemicals, although i am aware that marijuana has chemicals as well. To me, marijuana just relaxes you and lets you chill out, and people never seem to be able to tell that i smoke unless i tell them. Its my prime choice.

I've always wanted to ask an officer this, and when i found this site figured it was a nice opportunity to. (Also, I'm interested in legal stuff, the law, things of that sort. Some of the posts on here are pretty interesting.)

Anyways, to the question: (I'm also attaching a poll if you wanted to remain anonymous)
    Do you officers believe that marijuana is a real problem in our society?

I know that either way it's part of your job to prosecute anyone with it since it's illegal. Also, i would like to say that even being considered a "stoner", and obviously having to run into confrontation with officers because of that, i respect what you do for our community's, and that you keep us safe.
    Yes
    56.16%
    No
    19.18%
    In some instances; to an extent.
    24.66%

See the problem here is that you are, as you said yourself, a kid. You don't see the big picture. You talk about not being able to function on alcohol... but you can with marijuana? You can drive while under the influence of marijuana? That attitude right there is one of the biggest problems with the stuff. People think it is harmless, when it can be dangerous (ie, driving). And it doesn't lead to harder stuff? Well it sure does put you around the kind of people that do harder drugs. Name me 1 cocain or meth user that didn't use marijuana first. I'm glad you don't "believe all the stuff that is said about it", but maybe if you come down from your high, and grow up a little, you will.

By the way. I will admit that I HAVE in fact smoked marijuana before. My opinions don't just come from what I hear/see, and the government hasn't "brainwashed" me, as you would probably put it

Comment

Looks like I'm the first vote in your poll - my response has been "In some instances, to an extent." It has taken me sometime to think out and type this response....

Moto, thanks for your honesty. You're taking a mighty bold step coming here and telling us your story. As I've said, I appreciate your honesty and openness, I hope you'll appreciate mine.

One day at about 28 years of age, I finally figured out that, for me, alcohol was no longer working for me. After a few years of denial, I admitted I was an alcoholic. I stopped drinking. That was 24 years, 320 days ago. One day at a time, this coming November 1st, I hope to reach my 25th AA birthday, relieved of the obsession to get drunk. By the end of my drinking, I had figured out there was no such thing as "just one." If someone invited me over for a drink, my brain turned that into, "Let's get drunk!"

I know that there are people, lucky ones, who can have just a drink, or two, and not have any trouble. If I have one drink, it leads to another, then another, 'til I wake up the next morning and wonder where my car and money is. I would check the car for damages. Then spen the nest few hours hoping that there's no crime reports, or IA complaints against me.

I only speak for myself. I do not assume that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic like me. My 25 year-old son, no doubt, is also a marijuana smoker. My hope is that he can use without trouble....but here's the part where you, he, and I differ.

You and he can speak to me about all the "benefits," of grass, the "mellowness" of users, and all the "tax revenue we'll rake in" if legalized, etc. If you can guarantee me that the chain-of-custody of your grass has been from garden, to thoughtful growers, peaceful harvesters, and pacifist distributers, then great. Smoke a bowl and be well. Don't drive or operate heavy machinery, we'll all get along fine.

But here's what we cops have seen: Booby-trapped fields with trip-wires...armed harvesters...guard dogs...armed dealers. Men with guns who will kill other dealers over dope-dealing turf, or shoot it out with the cops to get away. I know men on the wall where we carve the names of dead cops, killed by dope-delears. Many of us, here, do. And that's what will prevent us from ever, as a profession, saying yes to marijuana....at least for the forseeable future.

I remember a kid I once arrested for vandalism. I asked where he went to school. He said, "Park Bench High." I screwed up my eyebrows and said, "Huh?" He said, "I skip school, go to the park, sit on the bench, smoke and get high." We now have a President who says his life did not get better, nor did he achieve his goals, until he stopped doing the "Park Bench High" routine.

Being in AA, for almost 25 years, I meet people recovering from not only alcohol, but coke, meth, and grass as well. Perhaps you might research Marijuana Anonymous and ask a few questions there. Again, I'm not saying that you have a problem. Only you know, or will know, that. But if you look around you one day, and figure out you have not become anything near what you wanted to be at age 16...it might be, just might be, the dope holding you back.

Good luck.
      Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Great post Keith, as usual.

And Moto, just to clarify, my post wasn't a personal attack, just realize that as a 16-year-old kid, you don't see it all. I too voted for choice number 3.

Comment

To the OP. You're a fortunate young man. Fortunate in that Keith was kind enough to share his own experiences with you. I can only hope you take them to heart. You fail to do so, at considerable risk to yourself and any hopes and dreams you might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto13 View Post
            Obviously i smoke it, and am an avid user. However, i don't believe all the stuff that is said about it. It hasn't led to anything harder, i am actually quiet afraid of harder drugs and what could happen
            Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it's not true. There is research all over the place when it comes to marijuana, and the anti-marijuana side picks the research beneficial to them and the pro-marijuana lobby picks the research that makes their position look good. That said, I don't think that you'll find too many people in the medical field who will say that smoking and inhaling a substance--any substance--into your lungs is a healthy thing. I also don't think you'll find too many medical professionals who feel that using any substance that alters brain chemicals and alters the mind (however that alteration effects you or how temporary it might be) is healthy. To me, that's just common sense. You may disagree with that, but to me it makes perfect sense. Also, just because marijuana hasn't led to anything harder in your case doesn't mean that it's like that for everyone. You're looking at things on a micro rather than a macro level and using your own limited observations to come up with a conclusion that doesn't really jive with what many people who deal with drug users every day see. I can't remember arresting anyone for a charge involving a hard drug who also hasn't had a marijuana arrest in their past as well.

Drugged driving is also becoming a pretty serious issue--much worse than it was ten years ago. You can't tell me that drugged driving cases involving marijuana wouldn't increase if it was legalized. The simple reason that most people don't smoke marijuana or they are quiet about doing so is because it's illegal. They don't want to get caught with it and arrested, they don't want to fail a drug test and lose their job, etc. Legalize it and more people will start smoking it and not necessarily doing it in the privacy of their own home. Smoking a joint has much different effects on the body than smoking a cigarette, and if people decided to treat marijuana like tobacco then it would not be good when it comes to the number of drugged driving crashes. The amount of DUI crashes involving alcohol or legal drugs shows that people can't be responsible with legal substances, so to say that marijuana smokers will be responsible and not drive just isn't a statement that can be substantiated.

Finally, what about all the violence involving the distribution of marijuana? Do you think that all the marijuana traffickers and dealers would just give up and go find legitimate jobs if it was legalized? Absolutely not! They would move on to other illegal activities (probably selling or manufacturing harder drugs) and probably would cause an increase in violence as the new dealers of hard drugs battled with current dealers for turf. Given the violence involving drug wars on the Mexican border, I think this is something that many of the pro-marijuana folks fail to realize would happen.

Comment

Heres the thing moto...its illegal. If you continue to keep doing it, chances increase that you will continue to get caught.
              Dont think its that bad? Move somewhere where it is legal, (Netherlands), or grow up to be a politician and try to get the law changed.
              There are people in this world who will kill me to keep me from finding their marijuana...for whatever reason....theyll go to jail, back to prison, get killed by their bosses when they dont return with the weed/money. So, yes...its a problem in our society.
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Just to add to what I said earlier and to what others have said, the fact that marijuana is illegal is probably the most important thing here and is something that you greatly need to examine.

The fact that you're an "avid marijuana user," even as a teenager, has already prevented you from getting a job in law enforcement. Now you very well may have no desire to ever go into law enforcement and that's fine. I simply pointed that out because it's an example of how decisions that you make today can have a profound effect on your future. Let's say you go to college and decide that the work the FBI does interests you greatly and you'd like to be an agent. Then you read the minimum requirements and learn that because you have regularly used marijuana on more than an experimental basis, you're disqualified before you even apply.

Getting a criminal record involving a drug offense will also prevent you from getting other jobs. God forbid you get caught delivering the drug, within a certain distance of a school, or with a larger amount and you're looking at a felony. Then you can kiss most professional careers goodbye, as most professional licenses require that you never be convicted of a felony.

No matter what your or anyone else's feelings are on the dangers of marijuana, I hope you understand how you're risking your future because you like to smoke some weed. Most teenagers don't think about things like that.

Comment

To add what Delta just said...

Drug use and drug convictions will disqualify you from receiving financial aid for college, and prevents you from joining the military.

Comment

When did you start smoking pot? Answer, and I will tell you why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Moto13 View Post
                      I'm a 16 year old kid, and i recently got a possession charge for marijuana. Obviously i smoke it, and am an avid user. However, i don't believe all the stuff that is said about it. It hasn't led to anything harder, i am actually quiet afraid of harder drugs and what could happen, and you can not function on alcohol at all. Ciggarettes have nicotine, and all those other chemicals, although i am aware that marijuana has chemicals as well. To me, marijuana just relaxes you and lets you chill out, and people never seem to be able to tell that i smoke unless i tell them. Its my prime choice.
                      Sadly, you are "wrong" - marijuana contains at least 50% of the toxic chemicals and byproducts you find in cigarettes( you can get cancer from chronic marijuana use). It also has long term impairment issues on your motor skills, cognitive abilities,and can create both physical and psychological dependance issues. as a young person, you have time to decide whats "good and bad" for you- please wait and reivew your options to protect your health.While marijuana is "not as bad" as many other substances you can put in your body, it is none the less dangerous to your basic long term physical health.

I've always wanted to ask an officer this, and when i found this site figured it was a nice opportunity to. (Also, I'm interested in legal stuff, the law, things of that sort. Some of the posts on here are pretty interesting.)

Anyways, to the question: (I'm also attaching a poll if you wanted to remain anonymous)
                      Do you officers believe that marijuana is a real problem in our society?

I know that either way it's part of your job to prosecute anyone with it since it's illegal. Also, i would like to say that even being considered a "stoner", and obviously having to run into confrontation with officers because of that, i respect what you do for our community's, and that you keep us safe.

"yes" - having seen first hand from recent certification as a DRE ( drug recognition Expert) I have seen individuals who are impaired from alcoholic beverage consumption, also under the influence of marijuana in many T/stops. Marijuana severely effects your motor functions- what you think is "just relaxing you" , can endanger you if you operate a motor vehicle. A 16 yr old , skate boarding down a local street- while under the influence of marijuana, lost control of his board while riding on broken side walk pavement- he broke his neck and died in what should have been a simple fall.........
                      Last edited by DOAcop38; 09-18-2009, 03:21 AM.
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I've noticed that no one seems to be participating in your poll. I wouldn't be too concerned though, as you've recieved some excellent advice. Hopefully, you'll give these replies some very serious consideration, and make a decision to attempt a drug free lifestyle. I was an almost forty year smoker, and although I havent smoked in over eleven years, I'm dealing with COPD. My experience with alcohol is similar to Keith's. Both activities are legal, but are fraught with consequences. Your continued use of Marijuana will almost certainly result in similar consequences, at least with respect to your lungs and respiratory system. If you can't breath, nothing else will really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by pm1031 View Post
                          Great post Keith, as usual.

And Moto, just to clarify, my post wasn't a personal attack, just realize that as a 16-year-old kid, you don't see it all. I too voted for choice number 3.
                          Wrong!

When I was 16, I knew EVERYTHING.

Comment

Yes, it's a huge problem in our society. There are far too many doped out, mullet wearing, beer gut having, still living at home with mama and sitting on the couch on the front porch people in this world. If they hold down jobs, the majority are in menial burgar-flipping jobs that pay barely over minimum wage. It's pitiful and a waste of whatever talent the good Lord blessed you with. Regardless of the effect on society, you deserve better and could accomplish so many more things.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

You're stupid. Go ahead and use the stuff and we'll see where you are in ten years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4833 users online. 295 members and 4538 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X