300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main reason rookies fail FTO?

I see so many post on here about someone in such and such department failing. What are trhe main reasons from your department?

In my department it has been problems with driving (accidents) and lack of confidence, unwilling to approach and confront people, which has led to lack of job performance (lack of self initiated activity).

Comment

Because they watched COPS to much and didn't realize that for every 5 minute scene there are 2 hours of papework followed by getting warrants signed.

Most that I've seen fail want to be cops but haven't matured enough in the head yet.

Some go to the academy to figure out if they want to be a cop. Others go because know they want to be a cop and want to learn how to do it....they pass.
      Due to the Juvenile bickering and annoying trolling committed by members of this forum I have started an igore list. If your name is listed below I can't see you.

CityCopDC, Fire Moose, Carbonfiberfoot, Damiansolomon

Comment

They give up
        http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

#1 Reason: Not taking the advice of others, be it their FTO, SGT, or fellow officers. Stop thinking you're supercop the day you graduate from the academy.

Comment

+1 to the above. Plus the attitude that since they are now a cop, they will do what they want to do--not what they are told to do or what the regs say they will do. Not taking criticism well and correcting behavior, not owning up to mistakes (and lying about it). Failing to respond to training.

Comment

Where I retired from, LAPD, most trainees were lost for:
              1. Inability to go "hands-on" with people, or even confront/detain them.
              2. Poor spelling & grammar.
              3. Failure to respond to training, to correct no.'s 1 & 2.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

In addition to Keith's points, I would add:

Inability to write reports that covered all the elements of the crime, and poor officer safety.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

My personal favorite are the ones that yes you to death and then when they go solo patrol they act like they never heard what you told them during training!!!!

Comment

Sort of in-line with other posts...."Failure to keep ears open and mouth shut."
                    sigpic"To punish and enslave"

Comment

Putting too much stress on themselves and getting into a downward spiral where every mistake becomes a major issue that they can't get past. Everything builds on every previous thing and they get themselves into a self-made hole. Quite a few of these cases are not things that are all that major, and nothing that, in reality, the trainee can't get through, but some guys just beat themselves up over everything.

Lack of life experience. Not being able to live and work in the reality of police work, and not adapting quickly enough to do the job. Life ain't all hearts and flowers, and there are an awful lot of times that you need to screw a gun into someone's ear or knock them out. Also not understanding that people lie. If someone has been to county jail more than twice, uses meth or heroin, or has been to state prison, for crying out loud, HE IS A FRICKING LIAR! QUIT BELIEVING HIM! THOSE ARE NOT HIS BROTHER'S PANTS!

Along this line is also decision making. Decisions need to be made, and you need to be able to make them fast, fast, fast. This isn't an office where you have hours, days or weeks to make critical decisions. Learn to think for yourself and have the balls to make a decision. Any decision is better than no decision. Have some confidence in yourself. No FTO expects that a trainee will never make a mistake. We're going to put you in progressively more complex and difficult situations and make you make the decisions. You will mess some things up (we aren't going to let you get in over your head to where you are in danger of getting hurt, or botching something beyond repair, though) and will have to fix them. It's not so much in making a mistake, but in how you respond to the mistake, and if you are learning and not repeating mistakes.

Inability to start moving faster and getting things done quickly enough. During Phase I, that's expected. By Phase III, taking an hour to take an auto burg with no suspect info and 90 minutes to write a report that should take 15 minutes is unsat. In the 21st century, it is amazing how many people can't type properly, and how bad they can be at writing. I guess schools just don't emphasize written communication anymore. Writing essays was one of the few things I actually liked in school.
                      Last edited by ateamer; 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Ateamer, good post brother.

Comment

X100!

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
                          #1 Reason: Not taking the advice of others, be it their FTO, SGT, or fellow officers. Stop thinking you're supercop the day you graduate from the academy.
                          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                          -- John Wayne

Comment

FTO's are expected to somehow, in six months, to teach English & grammar to trainees, who have been told for 12+ years, "Great job! You're just the best, you're moving on to the next grade!" These trainees collective backsides have been kissed throughout HS & college to believe they have the skills to make it in the real world. The LAPD practically has a no wash-out rule. In many cases, they leave it up to FTO's. Many Captains do not want the reputation of God-forbid firing trainees because the FTO's could not (magically) fix the problem.
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Clashing with the dept and its personnel. We can tell when someone just doesnt "fit" either as a cop or on a department. And when other officers nickname you Sweetchuck, that doesnt help either.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6215 users online. 343 members and 5872 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X