300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy

Okay, getting closer to applying for the academy at my school. Thanks for all the support and answers in prior posts.

I'm sure you all answered this 50 times, but the search function is not specific enough.

Literally how intense is the academy? I heard at our local academy you get two attempts at every thing than your kicked out if you dont pass the second time..... So if i fail running for 7 miles twice, im gone?

I just need slight input on what I should practice now, and how hard is it really. Maybe a ratio of how many people actually graduated at the end compared to those who didn't.

Thanks if you reply.

Originally posted by tonychicoca View Post
    Okay, getting closer to applying for the academy at my school. Thanks for all the support and answers in prior posts.

I'm sure you all answered this 50 times, but the search function is not specific enough.

Literally how intense is the academy? I heard at our local academy you get two attempts at every thing than your kicked out if you dont pass the second time..... So if i fail running for 7 miles twice, im gone?

I just need slight input on what I should practice now, and how hard is it really. Maybe a ratio of how many people actually graduated at the end compared to those who didn't.

Thanks if you reply.
    You won't be starting out running 7 miles. They will build you up and with the expectation you are coming to the academy in at least minimal standards.

Honestly with LE academies you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't study or PT you will struggle on written and physical tests. Pay attention do what your told and how to do it. I know its easier said than done and the culture shock of going to a semi-structured environment some people can't handle it. They are the ones that end up quitting or getting kicked out.

If you never did track in school and are not in shape. And I don't mean only over weight but you plain don't exercise then I would recommend this guide. Its the pre-training for the Navy and is designed for someone who has never ran a mile in their life.

http://www.navy-prt.com/files/pre-conditioning.pdf

There's a lot to it but check out the the running guide to get you started and make sure you're stretching everyday.

Comment

Ill check it out. Thanks.

I do excercice 4-5 times a week, but only with weights.
      ...Its horrible. I got this problem I like to call small man syndrome, where I'm only 5'7'' so I try to be as strong as I can be, and am afraid to run because I'll lose weight rapidly. - Those thoughts however screwed me because I get pains in my side when I try to run for endurance now, and within minutes.

Comment

Mine wasn't intense. There were two difficult components of it. One was getting up at 5:30 am for PT. I'm just not a morning person and by that I mean the period of three hours or so after I wake up each day regardless of when I wake up. For PT we started out at I think three sets of ten on jumping jacks, pushups, situps, and a 3/4 mile run. As soon as you finished the run you had "free time" until 8:00 am. Toward the end we were alternating between lifting weights at our own pace - well my group was since we had freeweight experience - and do the other stuff. Our runs increased to 2 1/4 miles, but that still wasnt bad. By the time you got to that point you could run that before 6:10got there. The other part was the unbearable 15 minute breaks every hour which I rant about each time someone comes asking how hard the academy was. We had some evening elective courses all of which I took, and we had no homework. We had ten multiple choice tests, and I most people made A's in all of them. Because it was a statewide academy any rigorous standard was almost impossible to uphold.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4682 users online. 306 members and 4376 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X