300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever been commended by a civilian

Just curious if you have ever been commended by a civilian for a job well done? If so, how did it make you feel? Thanks!
    "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Many times and I'm always appreciative.
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes. While it is never necessary it is always nice to be thanked for job well done. One time a family even went so far as to give me and my partner engraved plaques thanking us for saving their father/husband's life.
      "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." - Teddy Roosevelt

Disclaimer: The opinions I express here are mine and mine alone. They are not intended to reflect the positions/opinions of any other known person(s) or organization(s).

Comment

Couple of times. Sure beats a complaint.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

You know recently it has happened to me more often then it has in the past. I have had numerous citizens walk up to me and tell me how much they appreciate what I do. You know thanks isnt necessary but it sure is nice for a change.
          Last edited by TXDSX; 09-12-2009, 04:52 AM.
          Conduct every traffic stop extending the olive branch of peace; while having a tactical plan to kill everyone inside the vehicle. - Gordon Graham

Comment

Agree with the above, it isn't necessary, but it is nice to hear.
            Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Comment

Yes several times. The one that sicks out the most was a traffic stop where the guy was being an arse. He called back the next day and requested to speak to the Chief. The guy wanted me to call him so he could apologize for being a pain in the butt and spoke highly of my self control and professionalism to the Chief.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Many times ---- on a funny note I had a nice compliment yesterday. After chasing down a suspect and wrestling him into custody he turned and said "Man, you sure are fast".

It'll never make it into my file, but I actually appreciated that much more than the commendations I've received for putting somebody's garage door down that they forgot about.

Comment

I've had a few and they are always appreciated. I had a weird one earlier this summer. I was traveling from MD to WI on vacation and came across an accident on the interstate where a vehicle overturned and the driver was ejected and tossed into the woods. There was a witness there that overheard me say to a state trooper that I was an officer on vacation. Somehow the guy found out what agency I worked for and wrote a very nice letter about his observations.

What made it weird was I dont know who wrote the letter. There maybe 5 of us that stopped to help. When it was over we all went our seperate ways without saying much. The guy was from Texas and just happened to be passing through the mountains we were in. I couldn't tell which one in the crowd wrote the letter but I greatly appreciated him doing so. Those are those short lived reminders of why I signed up for this job. Not so much for the recognition...but that it feels good to help someone and not have it turn into a fight, etc.

Comment

yes and it's always nice. It takes 3 "atta-boys" to cancel out 1 "oh-sh*t"
                    Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Indeed, it is a very big moral booster when someone comes up and commends you for doing your job. As others have posted, I have seen that a lot more recently than in the past.
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence...sigpic

Comment

I recently had a man thank me for writing his 17 year old son two moving violations, and for patrolling his neighborhood.

Ive also had a lot of people thank me for not giving them a hard time while I'm booking them into jail. Thats always nice to hear, especially when you consider most people we contact are return customers, so the next time I run into those people Ill have some rapport, whether they're a suspect, witness, or victim.

Comment

Yes, always gives me a boost. But I've also turned it around. Back at my old department I've made sure that community members who helped me out, in any major way, got letters from the COP, an Area Capt, or better yet, a City Council proclamation.
                          Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-12-2009, 02:21 PM.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I had a lady write me a thank you card for my 'compassion' when telling her both her parents are dead. I still have the card somewhere. It means more to me than the commendation I got from the department (for a different matter, and which is not displayed anywhere).

Comment

Over the past month 3 of our off-duty officers have received thank-you letters (written to the Sheriff) from citizens who had their tires changed by the off-duty officers. We suspect these guys are just driving around on their days off, changing peoples tires, and then telling the people to send letters to the sheriff. We are just joking, but it's kind of funny three different guys all get letters for the same type of thing.

And Yes, I have been thanked for my job, and it makes me feel awesome!
                              "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5308 users online. 286 members and 5022 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X