• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a question

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...attachment.jpg

Think any crooks mess with this guy?
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"~ Don Wilder

There is always someone faster, bigger, and/or better armed.

"How would you beat him?"
    "With a stick, while he slept"
    (A Knights Tale)

You may be thinking of a fair fight - we never fought fair, we fought to WIN. Even the big guys throw their hands in the air when enough determined officers with handguns, shotguns, and rifles are facing them.

I/we arrested one guy who always carried a gun, and was on tape saying he would "never be taken alive". 6 officers behind cover with handguns and shotguns turn that into both hands in the air, and "Please, PLEASE, don't shoot me!" [Which was the correct response.]
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Wow. Good thing he's uniformed & on "our" side. I don't think we've got anyone quite that large in uniform here in the Granite State - at least not physically fit & large (yes, there are still a few that could be doing commercials for Arby's & Pizza Hut).

I had to take in a guy like that one time. 6'8" and 275# no fat at all. The town cop called me as he had had a prior run in with the guy who clobbered the beejeezus out of him. He was being violent, threatening family ,neighbors, town PD & FD. Bad place to be and I really would ahve rather gone home.

I walked right up, "How ya doin?" big hand shake which I'm guessing surprised the heck out of him, sat down with him on a log, listened to his sob story for about 20 minutes (during which he was constantly asking if I wanted to go in the house for a beer - safety issue? did he have a gun in there?). However, end result was me convincing him that his weekend would go a lot better (this was the middle of the week) if I could just take him in, get him to plead and if the judge bought it (I didn't think so and the judge didn't buy it) he would be out to have fun for the weekend. I made sure to explain as I always do that "I can recommend this, but you need to know that the judge may not agree". Standard prosecutorial stuff, but for some reason I've gotten kudos for being up front with some of the nastiest whackos.

No combat at all. Handshake & a smile. If there was combat involved, I wouldn't be here to be telling the story as he would have simply flattened me out and the only backup (the other officer ) I already knew couldn't take this guy, either. Also, if he was armed beyond shear mass I probably couldn't have gotten away with what I did. This guy was the picture-perfect justification for a justifiable use of deadly force on someone who you could not articualte had a deadly weapon besides their mass & power. He was King Kong & Godzilla all wrapped up in one.

However, sometimes you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. When you get out of your rig and go "holy sh** that's one big dude" to yourself - like I did - you had better be thinking other options than just what's on your belt - especially if the guy doesn't present with any signs of deadly force (other than his mass) but still needs to be taken in.

I also worked in sales for seven years before LEO work, and have been trained extensively in both verbal judo and statement analysis beyond the usual academy stuff. I think that helped. A lot.

I tell my new guys that their most versatile, powerful & dangerous weapon is not on their belt - it is their mouth. If you train properly with your words, you may find that the physical tools aren't needed quite so often. And if you use your words wrong, you may not go home - especially when you are one-on-one with a bad guy who is built like that.
      The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

I bet he's cruising around in an Impala too.

With a cage...

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ronnie+coleman

He is no longer an officer. He was arrested earlier in the year for impersonating one though.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBo4w88Eh9Q

Edit. my fault wrong section
            Last edited by Steelers5; 09-10-2009, 07:45 PM.
            Originally posted by Michigan
            I won't say anything mean to you because you're obviously retarded. I don't know if you will understand or comprehend what everyone is saying to you, so put it this way: The internet is bad, bad place. No go, no go. Computer bad, no login. Stay home, eat sour patch kids- yum yum. No talk to no one. Stay home. Internet is bad, stay away. Bye, bye.

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyCO View Post
              http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...attachment.jpg

Think any crooks mess with this guy?
              Nope, but I bet they run from him with no problems!
              Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
              Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
              Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
              Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

Comment

Mother of God... that dude is huge...

If I ever had to wrestle with this dude, I'd give it my all, that's for sure.

Then I'd change my underwear.

Comment

Actually, yes. I know that around here, some guys will challenge a "big" officer like that more readily than a smaller guy. Can't really explain why.

Comment

This goes back to the question of who you take for back up- a BIG cop or a little one?

Always take someone smaller than yourself. That way, if things go sideways, the bad guys usually go after the smaller cop!
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

What I've always wondered was how Arlington PD looked the other way all those years when Ronnie Coleman was still an officer and obviously on the sauce before he became Mr. Universe.
                      State Trooper, South Carolina Highway Patrol and proud of it buddy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4649 users online. 273 members and 4376 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X