300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police

I am sure this question has been asked before, But I can not seem to find it on the search feature.

My question is what is the difference between Military police and the police officer jobs for the army, navy, etc. found on USAJOBs.

or are they the same?

They are the same in terms of authority and jurisdiction. Here is a post I put up several years ago:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Difference between MP/DA civilian officers is the fact that one is guided by military regs and the other guided by Office of personnel regulations. The authority is the same as both recieve their LE powers from the base commanding officer. Some military members will have provesional rank authortiy based upon the fact that they are either a commissioned officer, warrant officer or non commissioned officer.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      They are the same in terms of authority and jurisdiction. Here is a post I put up several years ago:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Difference between MP/DA civilian officers is the fact that one is guided by military regs and the other guided by Office of personnel regulations. The authority is the same as both recieve their LE powers from the base commanding officer. Some military members will have provesional rank authortiy based upon the fact that they are either a commissioned officer, warrant officer or non commissioned officer.
      Do they have to go through an army boot camp or just a regular police academy?

Comment

Originally posted by Giddeon View Post
        In order to get most of these jobs, One must have prior arrest authority or meet the standards for the GS5/6 grading. The majority are former military police officers from all the branches. If you are hired based upon education, you would need to attend the police academy.

I see you live in NJ and I guess your talking about either Dix, McGuire, Lakehurst, Monmouth or Picatinny. Very few of the places hire at the GS-05 so you would need a bachlors degree or some significant amount of LE experience. With Monmouth shutting down and McGuire taking over the policing operations at Dix and Lakehurst you will be competing with vets returning from Iraq and Afghanistan for these jobs. Very rarely do they ever hire someone from the outside. Im not saying they dont or wont but they would have a hard time justifying not hiring a vet. Also I do not beleive any of the agencies will send you through a PTC certified academy. I know Dix has not sent someone for about 4-5 years.

Comment

2 choices they can grant a waver for those that have prior certified law experience (state, local, federal academe) or they send you to one of the approved academies for 9 weeks. If you are not a vet with at least an honorable discharge, I would not even try it, the likelihood of you getting a job is very slim, the system is set up for the vet.
          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Ah, ok. Yes I am trying to get my foot in any door i can to be in law enforcment

Comment

Ah, ok. Yes I am trying to get my foot in any door i can to be in law enforcment
              Giddeon without knowing your background, your chances are slim in getting one of these jobs. Since you are in NJ have you looked into the SLEO programs at the shore or into an alternate route program?

If your looking to get your foot into the door, you should take the next LEE and maybe look at living in one of the bigger cities (IE Newark, Camden). Also try for some of the other departments such as Rutgers, UMDNJ or NJTPD who do not go off the LEE.

Iam posting up a copy of a current announcement from where I work at.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qualifications: Click on link below to view qualification standard.
              General Schedule

The position at the GS-05 grade level has been re-engineered for recruitment and training purposes in which the incumbent will receive assignments that are designed to develop their skills and knowledge until reaching a full promotion potential of GS-06. Work assignments are designed to introduce the incumbent to a full range of duties and responsibilities required by the full performance level. To be qualified for this position applicants must have one year specialized experience at the next lower grade or band in the Federal service. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as experience that provided knowledge of a body of basic laws and regulations, law enforcement operations, practices, and techniques and involved responsibility for maintaining order and protecting life and property. Creditable specialized experience may have been gained in work on a police force; through service as a military police officer; in work providing visitor protection and law enforcement in parks, forests, or other natural resource or recreational environments; in performing criminal investigative duties; or in other work that provided the required knowledge and skills. CONDITIONS: You will work inside and outside and exposed to all weather conditions. Protective equipment and heavy lifting is required. This position has been designated as a Key Personnel position (e.g., snow emergency days, holidays, increased security periods, national emergency - mobilization of forces).

The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened for the Office of Personnel Management's basic qualifications requirements, and the skills needed to perform the duties of this position as described in this vacancy announcement.
              Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must meet the Time in Grade Restriction.
              Education can be substituted for experience. Review the qualification requirements for specific information.
              One year of experience in the same or similar work equivalent to at least the next lower grade or level requiring application of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position being filled.
              Must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade (or equivalent).
              Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
              Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.

Comment

Just because they work on military installations does not mean that they're in the military. Civilians are a HUGE part of Department of Defense and it could not function without the millions of civilian workers for all branches.

Comment

I am sure this question has been asked before, But I can not seem to find it on the search feature.

My question is what is the difference between Military police and the police officer jobs for the army, navy, etc. found on USAJOBs.

or are they the same?
                  The actual military police jobs on USA jobs are an attempt to get you to enlist in the specific branch. The Department of Army, Marines, ect are civilian jobs and will say so on the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                    Giddeon without knowing your background, your chances are slim in getting one of these jobs. Since you are in NJ have you looked into the SLEO programs at the shore or into an alternate route program?

If your looking to get your foot into the door, you should take the next LEE and maybe look at living in one of the bigger cities (IE Newark, Camden). Also try for some of the other departments such as Rutgers, UMDNJ or NJTPD who do not go off the LEE.

Iam posting up a copy of a current announcement from where I work at.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qualifications: Click on link below to view qualification standard.
                    General Schedule

The position at the GS-05 grade level has been re-engineered for recruitment and training purposes in which the incumbent will receive assignments that are designed to develop their skills and knowledge until reaching a full promotion potential of GS-06. Work assignments are designed to introduce the incumbent to a full range of duties and responsibilities required by the full performance level. To be qualified for this position applicants must have one year specialized experience at the next lower grade or band in the Federal service. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is defined as experience that provided knowledge of a body of basic laws and regulations, law enforcement operations, practices, and techniques and involved responsibility for maintaining order and protecting life and property. Creditable specialized experience may have been gained in work on a police force; through service as a military police officer; in work providing visitor protection and law enforcement in parks, forests, or other natural resource or recreational environments; in performing criminal investigative duties; or in other work that provided the required knowledge and skills. CONDITIONS: You will work inside and outside and exposed to all weather conditions. Protective equipment and heavy lifting is required. This position has been designated as a Key Personnel position (e.g., snow emergency days, holidays, increased security periods, national emergency - mobilization of forces).

The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened for the Office of Personnel Management's basic qualifications requirements, and the skills needed to perform the duties of this position as described in this vacancy announcement.
                    Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must meet the Time in Grade Restriction.
                    Education can be substituted for experience. Review the qualification requirements for specific information.
                    One year of experience in the same or similar work equivalent to at least the next lower grade or level requiring application of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position being filled.
                    Must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade (or equivalent).
                    Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
                    Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
                    Well to give a bit of background on me, I am 28 years old. I am a high school graduate, never been arrested or tried drugs. I got the occasional dummy ticket (i.e. Failure to register vehicle, Failure to have inspected) but no moving violations.
                    My grandfather was a state trooper. He retired as a Lt. Station Commander out of edison. Sadly, He passed in 01 and I wish he was around today, Id love to pick his brain for info.
                    Someone suggested to me the Federal Protective Service, as I am not one who really wants to run and gun. What do you suggest

Comment

Well to give a bit of background on me, I am 28 years old. I am a high school graduate, never been arrested or tried drugs. I got the occasional dummy ticket (i.e. Failure to register vehicle, Failure to have inspected) but no moving violations.
                      My grandfather was a state trooper. He retired as a Lt. Station Commander out of edison. Sadly, He passed in 01 and I wish he was around today, Id love to pick his brain for info.
                      Someone suggested to me the Federal Protective Service, as I am not one who really wants to run and gun. What do you suggest
                      Why not try NJ state human services police or NJTPD. Because your not getting into anything federal without a minimum of 2-3 years LE experience or a 4 year degree.

Comment

double post

Comment

Double post+fail=me.

Comment

What do you mean you dont want to run and gun?

Are you sure you understand what you are looking at? Sonds like you might be looking for a free ride.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                              What do you mean you dont want to run and gun?

Are you sure you understand what you are looking at? Sonds like you might be looking for a free ride.
                              What I mean is I am not like some star eyed kid who wants to break down doors and round up all the bad guys.

I do not need the "cowboy" experience. I hope I am expressing myself right

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3351 users online. 213 members and 3138 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X