300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Deferred Judgement?

I work in Loss Prevention currently. I recently had an employee who we charged with felony theft for direct cash and merchandise theft. Rather than plea out or go to trial the person was given a deferred judgement. The only thing I really know about it is that in the state of Iowa you can have deferred judgement twice in your life.

My question is what is a deferred judgement, and how does it effect a criminal record? What are some stipulatioins to be able to receive a deferred judgement?

Your help is appreciated, Thank you.
    On the hunt for Iowa Depts hiring!

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/IACODE/...ENT/907/3.html

Comment

Thank you for the link. A lot to read and comprehend. Just curious do other states allow a deferred judgement? If so how many DJ can someone get in a lifetime?
      On the hunt for Iowa Depts hiring!

Comment

Yes other states allow it. Diversion and deferred judgment free up court/jail time and space. It's popular in busy places.

How many times depends on the state, the prosecutor, the charge, the person, the history, the victim, what the judge had for breakfast, etc. etc.

Comment

+1 to JI603. It's common in Kalifornia.
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Iowa = 1 deferred judgement per lifetime. Its in the state code.
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-10-2009, 01:15 AM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What is Deferred Judgement?
              Deferred judgement is holding off on telling your daughter her boyfriend with the long hair and pierced eybrows is an a-hole until you confirm that he's not in medical school or otherwise constructively occupied.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4627 users online. 255 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X