300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting squad cars stuck?

I'm currently in process for a small city agency. I notice while driving on the highway's the State Police cars are sometimes buried back into the woods.

In NYS, we can get some nasty winter storms, has anyone been stuck? Do you have to call for a tow? I can imagine that would be embarrasing.

Any funny stories about previous incidents?

Stay safe out there.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Yes, it happens. Alot? Depends on the area mostly. Also the agency will play a part. Will a Game & Fish officer get stuck more than a city cop? Probably not. Anyway, I have been stuck a few times and have needed assistance to get out.
    Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

If you haven't gotten stuck, you will.

Comment

In my department we just pop the expy into 4x4. For those who dont have 4x4, you call a unit from the neighboring sector, hook up the tow straps and get out.

Comment

That's why it's a good idea to stay on good terms with your local wrecker services.

Comment

Stuck you say? I have no idea what you're talking about

In all seriousness, working rural areas you will become a master at getting unstuck on your own, you will carry a tow strap for when you can't, and will know the number of a friendly tow guy. Just hope your department tradition is not like mine, I have known people to try and get unstuck on their own for up to two hours in the desert heat, just so they don't have to bring donuts for the entire shift.

BTW, this one required a tow strap and another truck.
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

I like the ones where two or three tow trucks get stuck trying to get us out!

Comment

One time (at band camp) my partner and I were running stationary radar and I parked in sugar sand. Needless to say I got stuck. While we were trying to use everything we could to get my CV out, a redneck in a F350 4x4 pulled up and said in a deep Southern accent "One you boyz stuck?" I said "Yeah, I'm the idiot that parked in the sugar sand." He said "Yunt me pull ya out?" Me: "That would be great." So he hooked up a tow strap and had me out in less than a minute. I said "How much I owe you? I could have gotten in big trouble." He said "Ah can't take nuttin for it" "You boyz have a goodin" He probably bragged to his boys later that night at the bar.
                Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Comment

I've been stuck in every possible condition. The worst was on the beach with the tide coming up in an area where you cant get back out until the tide goes out.

I've been stuck in the swamp, mud, tree stump and even a golf course. Only once did I need to call for a tow, and that was when the tide washed out the berm I was stuck on.

As others have said, if you haven't been stuck, you will be! IMO, if you are doing the job you will get stuck... if the perp can go there, I will be right behind.

Comment

+1 for getting stuck. I work in the metro area of a major city too. No back woods driving for me. Just a fast U-turn and a ditch. If you haven't had an accident in a patrol car, you will, just give it time.

Comment

Originally posted by ls1ssdavid View Post
                      +1 for getting stuck. I work in the metro area of a major city too. No back woods driving for me. Just a fast U-turn and a ditch. If you haven't had an accident in a patrol car, you will, just give it time.
                      There is a guy in my agency who seems to have the brunt of getting stuck. I'd think it would be difficult in a city enviroment but apparently its not.

Comment

I worked on the border, so getting stuck was common. But I do have a story about flat tires. We were getting set up for some smugglers, and one of the other guys got a flat from a mesquite branch. We all gave him a hard time as he changed the tire, the I decided to drive around him - BAD MOVE!
                        I took a mesquite branch through the sidewall, providing more entertainment for the troops! With pictures!
                        We did have guys get stuck in flooding (can you say monsoon?), where we had to lift the officers out with a helo, and come back the next day for their truck!
                        And before we got GPS, we had officers get lost in daylight. If you could not see the mountain, it all looked the same!
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Yes it happens in Chicago

Is it a little embarassing, sure. But remember the vehicles that we drive are just like the vehicles you drive. Crown Vics/Chargers have rear wheel drive, so getting stuck happens all the time.

Comment

Getting squad cars stuck?

Like they said, it is not a question of "if", but rather "when". I have actually had a knack for getting stuck literally in the middle of the road during several heavy snowfalls over the years. When I was a city cop, I got a call during a heavy snowfall for something stupid. I told the sergeant I would get stuck, but I am told to go anyway. Sure enough, I get stuck in the middle of the road that had sloppy wet snow.

Another time I get stuck in the middle of the highway during a treacherous ice storm.

Did I also mention that I have a curse that wherever I work, people will call about the most mundane things at the least opportune times? I get a call one time to take a theft report on a 50 cent Christmas tree light bulb from an outdoor display. I sort of suggested to the complainant that perhaps this could have waited for a better time and the response I get is, "Well, I was sent home from work due to the snowstorm, so I figured you guys didn't have anything going on..."

Comment

Do you guys get in trouble when you get a vehicle stuck or is your chain of command pretty understanding?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6093 users online. 325 members and 5768 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X