300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Should I begin Applying

Hey everyone, I'm at my first year of college majoring in CJ, I'm currently 18, going to be 19 at the end of October. I'm curious as to what age I should start applying to agencies because I would like to begin the hiring process as soon as I am able to seeing that the process does take a certain amount of time to complete. So, what age should I start applying? When I have a year left of school (which will be when I'm 22) or should I start when I'm 21 finishing up my junior year? I'm just trying to plan things out in advance and to get an idea for myself.

Thanks!

If you want to finish college then finish college...THEN apply, or at least apply a few months, (4 or so), before graduation. I say that because you may having appointments, interviews, testing, etc that may conflict with classes. Some applications are very extensive and most time consuming...my agency app is over 55 pages!
    Most agencies require you to be 21 years of age, (for handgun laws), before you can be hired.
    You could also start off in a jail, (city), at some agencies at the age of 18 and get your "foot in the door".
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I'm definitely going to get my bachelor's in CJ, I was just curious at about what time would be reasonable to start applying for agencies because I'd rather try to get the hiring process going basically as soon as I can once I graduate, I don't really want to keep working at the place I have been since 2007 (not that it's bad or anything) but I'm sure I will be as the hiring process is in progress. I'm going to be doing some work study for PS to have another bonus on my resume, plus I'll get paid for it and be able to throw that to my tuition. I'll also do an internship at some point in time and be able to work for a PD hopefully which again will help me out with some experience.
      Last edited by NextGenOfc; 09-08-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I started applying at 20 1/2....It took me 6 years to get hired....Finish your degree, and in the mean time, apply for a few places here and there to experience oral boards, backgrounds,poly's etc. That way you know what to expect. Don't expect to get hired, and if you do, figure out a way to finish college at all costs. I left for academy before I finished and now I am struggling to find time to get back at it. I think age/life experience plays a huge role in getting hired but don't let it discourage you.

Comment

Apply to your first 2-3 months from graduating. Keep your job you have (you'll have a part time job by then) then upon graduation, start apply like a mad man to different agencies. Before you know it, you'll have 3 interviews in 1-2 months time and it'll take off. I applied at 6 at a time after graduating. Good luck! Be patient. It took me 1.5 years AFTER graduation. My situation was the longest I've heard of though. Most are hired w/ in 6 months.

Comment

Finish college get your degree and start applying during your last semester. Thats what I did. It does not mean you'll have something by the time you do geaduate but, it gives you more leeway and lets you determine and have the time to apply to other jobs if you need to find another alternative to pay the bills until you do get hired by an agency. Don't plan on having the job when you graduate. Have a temporary alternate just in case. Good lcuk.
            sigpic
            Formerly Username k91376
            " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice and guidance everyone, I appreciate it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4766 users online. 290 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X