300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper ride along attire?

It may sound dumb and I know that some of you might say wear whatever but what is suitable ride along clothing? (obviously not wearing baggie jeans/hoody type of stuff)

Slacks, dress shoes and a collar shirt. Business casual. At least that's what it is in my department. Usually they make you sign a waiver/form to go on a ride-along and that form should give you instructions about what to wear and what behavior is expected of you during the ride-along.

Comment

I have gone out riding with other departments besides my own to see how they operate. I can tell you that if someone is riding with me, slacks, button up shirt and tie is optional. If you ride along with someone, you are representing that department whether you intend to or not. Make sure to look professional. SHAVE, COMB YOUR HAIR Ect... If in doubt, asked the liason you set the ride along up with.
      The truth to mirrors is they tell no lies, you see yourself through your own eyes.

Comment

I had some jagoff kid ride with me that was part of an "explorer" program, (a joke for the very small dept at that time that i am NOT employed at now)
        ....wore a "GLOCK" shirt, camo pants and actually interrupted a victim while giving her statement and "corrected" her. I almost killed him...I was new and did not handle it properly, (immediately ended his ride along), but instead told him to stay quiet then sent a memo to the chief, (like I said..small dept)
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Just be clean and smell decent. PLEASE. I haven't had many riders, but I care less about how you look and more about whether or not I have to bust out the Lysol after you leave. Jeans and polo work for me.... I'm guessing it is an agency that you would like to work for someday, so remember 1st impressions are important. Slacks are a good option as well....

Comment

Wear a shirt that fits you........ Carpenter khakis w/ side pockets and a button up shirt or polo shirt. Small hand held flashlight optional.

Comment

Shorts? Are you serious? I would have booted you out of my car. Adult grown up business casual.....khaki trousers and a polo in warmer climate, long sleeve button down collared shirt and appropriate outerwear for cooler climates.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                Shorts? Are you serious? I would have booted you out of my car. Adult grown up business casual.....khaki trousers and a polo in warmer climate, long sleeve button down collared shirt and appropriate outerwear for cooler climates.
                Agreed here, no shorts! Also, don't wear anything white, especially on a nighttime ride along. And wear comfortable shoes or sneakers that won't make any noise when you're trying to be quiet while walking up on a call.

Comment

Originally posted by RMYoshiSuzuki1
                  Not sure if I should be replying hear but I did a ride along last week and I wore a pair of running shoes, cargo shorts that fit properly and a professional looking EMS shirt, the officer seemed fine with it.

I am going to do another ride along soon and was wondering if a polo that was similar to the agency's colors would be best to wear to give a more professional look?
                  No you should not be replying here since it is Ask a Cop and you are not a LEO. I am sorry but no shorts and definately not an EMS shirt, unless you were doing the ride a long for your job.

Don't try and dress like the police on a ride a long. You are simply there as an observer, nothing more.

As others have stated, dress neat. Khakis/Polo Shirt. No cell phones or other distractions.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Tye516 View Post
                    It may sound dumb and I know that some of you might say wear whatever but what is suitable ride along clothing? (obviously not wearing baggie jeans/hoody type of stuff)
                    Best thing to do is ask the department that you are riding along with. Otherwise, what has been mentioned by other posters works.

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                    I had some jagoff kid ride with me that was part of an "explorer" program, (a joke for the very small dept at that time that i am NOT employed at now)
                    ....wore a "GLOCK" shirt, camo pants and actually interrupted a victim while giving her statement and "corrected" her. I almost killed him...I was new and did not handle it properly, (immediately ended his ride along), but instead told him to stay quiet then sent a memo to the chief, (like I said..small dept)
                    LOL... sorry, but that's funny. If some goofball ridealong comes strolling up to my cruiser in a glock shirt, I'll just drive off before they even get to the door.

Not sure if I should be replying hear...
                    I could care less, but the top of the page specifically states LEO only. I know you mean well, but be careful as you're likely to get booted from the site. If you have a question, start a new thread.

Comment

I'll address a specific pet peeve of mine, and that is trying to look official while on ride alongs. Use the following "no-no's" as a guide.

If you are civilian, DO NOT WEAR:
                      1. anything 5.11, Tru-Spec, Propper, or anything with the word "tactical"
                      2. BDU's or pants that look similar to who you are riding with
                      3. Mirror sunglasses or other "1980's highway patrol" eye wear
                      4. Any shirt with a firearms motife (i.e. death before dishonor, Glock, Sig, etc)

If you are EMS/Fire Based, DO NOT WEAR:

1. Your department uniform unless mandated
                      2. Anything 5.11, Tru-spec, Propper or BDU based
                      3. Anything with "tactical, swat, or ninja" in the name
                      4. Your squirel/tick/wacker pager/portable radio
                      5. Scanner (yes, I had a guy pretend to talk into his scanner like a radio)

Comment

Not sure if I should be replying hear but I did a ride along last week and I wore a pair of running shoes, cargo shorts that fit properly and a professional looking EMS shirt, the officer seemed fine with it.

I am going to do another ride along soon and was wondering if a polo that was similar to the agency's colors would be best to wear to give a more professional look?
                        First - read the warning at the top of the page. In case you can't find it, here it is. It can't get any clearer than this - "ONLY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS CAN *REPLY* TO POSTS IN 'ASK A COP' All Others BANNED on FIRST Offense"

Second - the reason for that warning is clearly shown by your comments.
                        Had you shown up at my agency dressed like that you would not have ever made it into a squad car, you would have been sent packing, and there would be documentation written to make sure you would never be allowed on a ride along. Such appearance at a ride along shows a lack of judgment and maturity. We wouldn't waste our time.
                        183 FBINA

Comment

Yea I already reported him.

Comment

Holy necropost...
                            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by preston_wolfe
                              All the *******s on this thread really show why the community is hating on the LEO profession. If someone has a question RELATED to this specific threat, LEO/EMS or hose dragger, civilian, etc, it shouldn't matter what they are. They are asking a question directly related to this thread: So please explain what sense it makes to say "start a new thread". Idiots wanting to tie up another thread with the same line of questions. Most of you need to take a legitimate chill pill, as it discourages people from even wanting to join this community of LEOs, as so many are blatant jack-asses. Block me if you want, but my opinion is as legitimate as every person on here.
                              Because its the rules of this forum........................Which is run by a civilian for a non law enforcement company

You won't be on the forum long if you don't follow the rules

By the way it is an 8 yr old thread.............so it is a long standing rule
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3216 users online. 146 members and 3070 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X