300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University police

Do you need to be an officer with field experience before evern applying for university police?
    sigpic

Fidelis Ad Mortem

Originally posted by OPD22 View Post
    Do you need to be an officer with field experience before evern applying for university police?
    No, when I was at the academy there were guys from across the state representing UPDs. They were new.

Comment

Many people in Arkansas use collegiate police departments as "bridges" to "real" jobs. In Arkansas it deesn't matter where you work, you go to the same academy (two exceptions only). So they get hired on by one place where it's easy just to get certified, then they have a leg up on getting hired at a higher-paying, more prestigeous agency.
      Invisible Signature.......FAIL

Comment

University Agencies are usually either stepping stone places for someone just starting l/e or a place someone wants to go and retire.

I am sure they arent all bad, but I worked for a College PD and hated it. Sure I got the same class one police certification as any other officer in south carolina. All you were was a babysitter to the students and staff. You had to open and lock a TON of doors. You had to check these emergency call boxes once a week and there were hundreds of them. We got calls to jump start students cars or either slim jim our way into them. Students locking their keys in their rooms or staff locking themselves out of their classroom or office. We had this HUGE key ring to carry around. These calls were excessive. To top it off the brass at this department was very arrogant and unfair the way they treated the basic patrol but i wont get into all the drama. There is a bad taste in my mouth towards campus policing.

Leaving the college police and going to the sheriff's office was the best career move I made.
        Last edited by DeputySC; 09-09-2009, 02:42 AM.

Comment

The short answer is no. College PDs are just as variable as municipal PDs. Some college PDs are well paid, have large, fully equiped patrol sections, K-9 units, investigations, etc. and deal with a lot of criminal activity while some administrations just want security guards with state certification.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3352 users online. 168 members and 3184 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X