300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Program

I heard a while back that some larger coastal agencies had exchange programs in which they would take officers from smaller agencies (prim. midwest) and bring them out to their turf. I heard of this being done in the mid 90's with the LAPD. This seems like an excellent training opportunity. Does anyone know an agency that still has an exchange program in place? Feel free to post or PM. Thanks in advance

*bump*
    I should mention that I am a sworn officer, and maybe this should have been posted in the training thread.

Comment

I think you are refering to the "Beverly Hills Cop" program.

There is a documentary by the same name available for rent...

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Happens all the time! Officers from western states also work at NYPD. (I saw it on TV.)
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

You guys are harsh.

Comment

The only exchange program I'm familiar with is for foreign officers. We go to their country to learn their language and they come here to learn both language and techniques. Its not exactly an exchange, though, since neither officer retains his sworn status in the foreign country. More like a ride-along.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I kow that my departement wouldn't pay me to play in LA. I have not heard of such a program.
              I have the heart of a child..................................No really, it is in a jar on my desk.

Comment

I've worked in LA for over 20 years......never heard of it......
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Berc View Post
                  I heard a while back that some larger coastal agencies had exchange programs in which they would take officers from smaller agencies (prim. midwest)
                  What makes you think a coastal agency can teach a midwest agency anything about policing? Don't you think we in the midwest have done quite well in LE? What some of the coastal agencies have done is develop good PR programs with the media and movies. Doesn't mean what they do is better but it's what the public sees by watching TV and movies and the public thinks that's hot stuff.
                  You'll find a lot of cutting edge stuff was first started with some of the midwest agencies.
                  We've done exchange programs with quite a few agencies. I've had LEOs from CA, TX, NJ, NY, FL ride with me and from the UK, Russia, Poland, Egypt, UAE, and Israel. We were doing stuff some of them never was possible or being done in LE.
                  For example, in 1999 our old radio system that we had been using since 1968 and which we were in the process of updating the LEOs from TX had never seen nor knew what we were doing was possible. We thought our 1968 system was outdated but it was decades ahead of what they were using.
                  Another example - other agencies come to us to see our crime lab which is the 3rd largest in the world behind only the FBI and Scotland Yard. We had heard stories from the French how they claimed to have such a modern crime lab so we sent our lab directors over there to look at what they had. Their national lab was decades behind our state lab.
                  Last edited by ISPCAPT; 09-10-2009, 08:42 PM.
                  183 FBINA

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                    What makes you think a coastal agency can teach a midwest agency anything about policing? Don't you think we in the midwest have done quite well in LE?
                    Nah...you guys do weird stuff...like sit in your cars to write tickets

Congrats on FBINA BTW...

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
                      Nah...you guys do weird stuff...like sit in your cars to write tickets

Congrats on FBINA BTW...
                      Well for gods sake, you guys don't have snow. You stand out in the snow and write a ticket....just one time....your patsy *** will be in the car too...just like mine is!

That and you don't have the cows that just wander up to you on a traffic stop with that stupid bell around their neck ruining your stealth-ity. I had this one cow just come sauntering up as i'm writing a really bad guy a ticket for misdemeanor trailer hitch violation (here, if you drive a truck that has two of the following: a calvin peeing on a different vehicle make logo, a confederate flag license plate or window sticker, a git er done sticker, or anything hunting related you MUST have a trailer hitch) when this damn cow comes up right next to me. Well that gave the bad guy all the opening he needed, he was out of the truck in no time, rushing me all the while pulling a concealed corn stalk out of his overalls and viciously assaulting me with it. I was lucky to get out of it alive.

If I'd been in my car writing that ticket....damn cow never would have found me, and bad guy would have been sent on his way.

Now you know why we sit in our cars and write tickets....
                      Originally posted by K40
                      To me, open carry is the equivalent of the couple making out and groping each other at the food court in the mall. Yeah, they are probably legal, as long as they don't start getting undressed. But they are still social retards.
                      ‎"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him." - Rooster Cogburn

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5880 users online. 322 members and 5558 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X