Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Hours A Week

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How Many Hours A Week

    On an average week counting overtime, how many hours do you guys usually work per week?
    Last edited by NextGenOfc; 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM.

  • #2
    I work three on, three off, twelve hour shifts. So, normally, 48 hours a week. With OT, it used to be closer to 50-55. The department has really cracked down on OT though, to the point where Sgts feel like nannies babysitting us to make sure only cover officers take stuff close to end of shift, officers get done, stuff gets held for the next shift, etc. It's gotten to where 30 minutes to the end of my shift I don't even make traffic stops on the off chance I get a suspended.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you work the same time every time you have to go to work or does it vary every now and then?

      Comment


      • #4
        Some weeks are zero OT, some are 20+.

        Comment


        • #5
          12 hour shifts...5 shifts one week, 2 the next which is 84 hours every two weeks. I average about 100 every 2 weeks. As a road Officer, I stayed fairly close to my 84 hours...give or take a few here and there.
          sigpic

          I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

          Comment


          • #6
            To answer the OP's second question: do you mean do I call into service at the same time of day from day-to-day, week-to-week?

            When I'm on the same shift (day/night), usually yes. Because I don't have kids, I make myself the flexible officer. In other words, my squad works 6a-6p, I generally am the cover 9a-9p officer but I'll come in whenever I'm needed. If we have a special going on, I'll shift my schedule around (ie 7a-7p, 10a-10p, 12n-12m due to officers out). It's not unheard of for me to get a call the day before and asked to shift my hours. For example, two weeks ago I was scheduled for 6a-6p on one day because of vacation, got a call the day before by a Sgt to ask if I would be willing to shift to 3p-3a. BIG difference in schedule, and our contract stipulates that something like that should be given to a night shift person and/or OT with less than 24 hrs notice of shift change...but since I have a rep for being flexible, I was called. I agreed and didn't put in for OT because it was no skin off my nose. I got a good arrest at 930p that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Worth the trade off.

            Is that what you meant? As a rule, most people START their shift at the same time, but it may or may not end on schedule.

            Comment


            • #7
              Jenners, they're lucky to have you, honey. That mess wears on the body after awhile.
              sigpic

              I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jenners View Post
                To answer the OP's second question: do you mean do I call into service at the same time of day from day-to-day, week-to-week?

                When I'm on the same shift (day/night), usually yes. Because I don't have kids, I make myself the flexible officer. In other words, my squad works 6a-6p, I generally am the cover 9a-9p officer but I'll come in whenever I'm needed. If we have a special going on, I'll shift my schedule around (ie 7a-7p, 10a-10p, 12n-12m due to officers out). It's not unheard of for me to get a call the day before and asked to shift my hours. For example, two weeks ago I was scheduled for 6a-6p on one day because of vacation, got a call the day before by a Sgt to ask if I would be willing to shift to 3p-3a. BIG difference in schedule, and our contract stipulates that something like that should be given to a night shift person and/or OT with less than 24 hrs notice of shift change...but since I have a rep for being flexible, I was called. I agreed and didn't put in for OT because it was no skin off my nose. I got a good arrest at 930p that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Worth the trade off.

                Is that what you meant? As a rule, most people START their shift at the same time, but it may or may not end on schedule.

                Yup, just seeing if you usually worked the same starting time everytime you worked like if you always did midnights or something or always worked 2nd shift, etc. But being flexible like that you must have to go back to work with not much sleep at all sometimes, no?

                Comment


                • #9
                  40 here. thankfully.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    60 hours one week, 20 hours the next. I usually average about 85-90 with court.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      No OT available here, except for court. I work a straight 40 hr week (4-10's) with the same hours / days off. You get your shift assignment in January and it remains the same for the entire year.
                      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                      --Winston Churchill--

                      "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                        You get your shift assignment in January and it remains the same for the entire year.
                        Ah now that's not too fun if you get a bad shift

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          120-130 every 2 weeks. Plenty of OT and other perks. Long days, but every holiday/weekend off.
                          Last edited by irishlad2nv; 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM.
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
                            No OT available here, except for court. I work a straight 40 hr week (4-10's) with the same hours / days off. You get your shift assignment in January and it remains the same for the entire year.
                            When I was still working patrol, we went from a 3/12 (80 hours every two weeks....3 12 hour shifts 1 week, 3 12s and 1 8hr the next) to a straight 4/10

                            Shift selection was by seniority, and it was permanent. The only way to move to another shift was for someone to leave and open a spot up.

                            My present spot is 40hrs a week......zero available OT.....somewhat flexible hours though
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                            "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                            "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I currently work the Pittman schedule ( same as Smurfette )which consist of 84 hours every two weeks.We get the extra 4 hours placed into a bank in the begining of the year ( 168 ). I refuse to work overtime for the most part since do not need the money. I make enough.

                              I make work an extra detail ( 80 bucks an hour ) here and there if I'm going on vaca or getting new ink.
                              We ride for those who died!

                              RIP SgtCHP!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5771 users online. 344 members and 5427 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X