300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on getting hired with Delaware State Police

I am 19.5 right now, working on my Associates in Business.

I have a clean record, one traffic violation.

Volunteering with a local railroad since 2004

Joined a fire company back in March.

Applying to a job at the local university in public safety as a student police aide.

I am going to start the application process when I turn 20 in the spring, I am aiming to have my 60 credit hours by the time I turn 21 and hopefully will be able to start the academy.

I rode with DSP the other night and this is what I want to do and the agancy I want to work for.

How good of a chance do I have at getting hired? How long is the application process usualy from start until the academy? What is some advise that can help me out with getting hired?

Any info would be much appriciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Originally posted by RMYoshiSuzuki1 View Post
    I am 19.5 right now, working on my Associates in Business.

I have a clean record, one traffic violation.

Volunteering with a local railroad since 2004

Joined a fire company back in March.

Applying to a job at the local university in public safety as a student police aide.

I am going to start the application process when I turn 20 in the spring, I am aiming to have my 60 credit hours by the time I turn 21 and hopefully will be able to start the academy.

I rode with DSP the other night and this is what I want to do and the agancy I want to work for.

How good of a chance do I have at getting hired? How long is the application process usualy from start until the academy? What is some advise that can help me out with getting hired?

Any info would be much appriciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark, your best bet is to contact the DSP. Check out their website, talk to a Recruiter, something on that order. That said, I'll offer this. I like your efforts in school, police aide, etc. Little curious at volunteering on a railroad. Is that a tourist railroad or museum? Okay. If the DSP hiring process is like other State Police/Highway Patrol processes, you're going to have to test well. That process usually begins with a written exam. While 70% is a passing score on most Civil Service exams, to get into the running, you'll need to score in the mid to high nineties. There are any number of study guides which can help you prepare for this exam. You'll want study guides which will help you prepare for the "State Trooper" exam. Google is your friend here, so use it as often as you need to. In the meantime, keep your grades up, continue your volunteer activities, and be careful who you hang out with. Good luck.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info. Ill try to get a hold of someone soon.

The railroad is a tourist line, I do stuff in operations.

What does the writen exam mainly consist of? Do you only get one chance to take it?

Comment

Originally posted by RMYoshiSuzuki1 View Post
        Ok thanks for the info. Ill try to get a hold of someone soon.

The railroad is a tourist line, I do stuff in operations.

What does the writen exam mainly consist of? Do you only get one chance to take it?
        The written exam is pretty much general knowledge. What they test is Math, English, Reasoning, Reading Comprehension, etc. Don't make the assumption that the test is a "snap". Lot's of folks do that, and while they may "pass" the exam, their score is so low, they'll never be hired. Never hurts to brush up on your skills by doing a few pratice exams. The exam is not a "one time deal". but you really don't want to wait and do it again. It could well be another year or more, before you got the chance. Swing for the fences on your first attempt, that's entirely do-able. Good luck.

Comment

Learn how to use spell check. Troopers are a notorious bunch for report writing.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

that kinda reminds me of the general knowlage test that i took back in Sept. 08 when I applied to Norfolk Southern Railroad just to see how far i'd get in the hiring process with them, back when they were hiring.

was like a bubble answer sheet and a hundred some questions, took that and a similar length physcology test. that sorta like what this GK test is?

and for spelling and grammar and such, not that great.

Comment

Just about all you could want to know about DSP:

http://dsp.delaware.gov/recruiting/r....shtml#Qualify
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3166 users online. 175 members and 2991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X