300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing citations and court dates

If you write 10 tickets in a day for speeding, are the court dates the same day for all the tickets that were issued that day, if the violator chooses to go to court. Also how far in advance do you know if you will have to show up to court? Is there a lapse inbetween when the ticket has to be paid by if you are not contesting it and when the court date is if you are contesting it?

Here, we set the initial court date on the citation. Generally, its 7-10 days from the offense. We are subpeonaed anywhere from a day ahead to a few months, most of the time a few weeks notice. Whether or not you contest the ticket or pay it, it must be taken care of by the date listed on the ticket.

Comment

I've written tickets for judges who had a sheet with a court date a couple months out from a designated time on the sheet and for judges that let you pick whichever court date you wanted. I've never written, nor wanted to write, ten citations in one day, but if I did I'd put them all on the same date. Generally, I try to give around a month to a month and a half. However, with DWI it needs to be within two weeks. Keep in mind I'm speaking from my knowledge and experiences here in Arkansas.

A violator has until the time and date indicated on the citation to pay the fine, which is pleading guilt, or show up in court and do so or show up and plead not guilty, no contest (nolo contendere) or request a civil penalty or some other form of sentence if applicable. If they plead not guilty, the judge tells them to have a seat, and he gets back to them after allowing everyone else to plea. Once all that is done the person is asked if they wish to change their plea and if not the person is given a date in the future to show up for court. Over the course of that time other motions can of course be filed prolonging the whole process not to mention continuances, and so forth.

Comment

For infractions, we check the box that says "Appear within 30 days". It's up to the violator to get down to court before the deadline. For misdemeanors, our daily watch bulletin (hot sheet) has the misdo court date printed, which is generally four weeks out.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Each team has a court date once a month. We have four teams. You know in advance what your court date will be for the month.

Generally we like to give at least 30 days between issuing the ticket and the court date. Therefore, if my next court date, for instance, is September 23, and I give you a ticket today, September 5th, your court date won't be until my October court date, because otherwise you wouldn't have 30 days to pay your fine.

Comment

Paying

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            I've written tickets for judges who had a sheet with a court date a couple months out from a designated time on the sheet and for judges that let you pick whichever court date you wanted. I've never written, nor wanted to write, ten citations in one day, but if I did I'd put them all on the same date. Generally, I try to give around a month to a month and a half. However, with DWI it needs to be within two weeks. Keep in mind I'm speaking from my knowledge and experiences here in Arkansas.

A violator has until the time and date indicated on the citation to pay the fine, which is pleading guilt, or show up in court and do so or show up and plead not guilty, no contest (nolo contendere) or request a civil penalty or some other form of sentence if applicable. If they plead not guilty, the judge tells them to have a seat, and he gets back to them after allowing everyone else to plea. Once all that is done the person is asked if they wish to change their plea and if not the person is given a date in the future to show up for court. Over the course of that time other motions can of course be filed prolonging the whole process not to mention continuances, and so forth.
            I understand that the violator only has until the time and date on the ticket to pay or show up in court, what I'm asking is if someone waits until the court date to pay the ticket do you have to show up for court because you don't know whether they are going to just pay the ticket or plead not guilty? That's what I meant when asking if there a different date on the ticket than what the court date would be IF you pay your ticket on or before the first date, thus not needing the court date.

Comment

The court date is just for the initial appearance. For infractions, that means talking to a clerk at the window and either paying the fine, showing proof of correction or setting an arraignment date if the violator wants a trial. At arraignment, the trial date will be set and the officer will be subpoenaed. For misdemeanors, the court date is for arraignment. There is never a need for the arresting/citing officer to be present at arraignment.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Texas can't be no less than 10-business days. I usually give em a month or so.. Man, 10 tickets a day? Not even on my best day. Write some for meeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                  For infractions, we check the box that says "Appear within 30 days". It's up to the violator to get down to court before the deadline. For misdemeanors, our daily watch bulletin (hot sheet) has the misdo court date printed, which is generally four weeks out.
                  Wow that's nice. We have to pick a court date down here. If we mess up and write in a Saturday it gets kicked back. I wrote a full book of 25 my first year on the job and wrote the wrong year in a January. Took me several hours to do all the corrections. I just had to do a bunch of corrections because I wrote furlough Wednesdays on some. I think the court is lameeeee.

Comment

we write 30 days out. They have 20 days to pay the ticket or they have to show up in court. There is not enough time for the DMV(if it is county) to be notified and the courts that the violater will show or not. They could go to the court house and pay all the way up until their appearance but the DMV will get notified later.

Comment

Our inservice sheet has the cite out date for whichever courts serve our areas. As others said that is just for the initial appearance. If you contest the cite another court date will be set at your initial appearance and we will be subpoenad for that date.
                      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

People here have 60 days to request a court date. I generally know anywhere from a month to two weeks in advance when I have court, and am notified via an electronic subpeona list. It seems to be more of a function of when you contest the citation then when I write it, and while I may have two or three (occasionally six or seven) on one day, its unusual for any of them to have been written on the same day.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

We set the court date when we cite. We have to give them at least 10 days, but usually I'll give more time that. I try to set my court dates so that the shift I'm working with when I write the ticket will also be in court. I also will not put a case before one of our judges who nol prossed a ticket of mine after speaking with the defendant's lawyer (without my knowledge). So sometimes, depending on the schedule, it may be possibly close to 2 months before a case goes to trial. They print the docket several days before court, but all officers can log in and check to see if they have any cases for any given court date.
                          “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Here we are given all of our court dates for the year. When writing the citation, you write it for the court date that is approx. 4-6 weeks out from the violation date. You keep doing that until you reach the time window for the next court date.

The night before court we check the docket to see how many have prepaid. You're rarely going to have everyone prepay, so it is assumed that you're going to be there for your court date no matter what.
                            Magistrate: "Do you have any other pending charges?"
                            Drunk: "Well there's this thing where the cops said I spit blood on them."
                            Me: "Wait a minute, that was me!"
                            Drunk: "Oh... now you like me even less."

Comment

Originally posted by Bnathanb1982 View Post
                              If you write 10 tickets in a day for speeding, are the court dates the same day for all the tickets that were issued that day, if the violator chooses to go to court. Also how far in advance do you know if you will have to show up to court? Is there a lapse inbetween when the ticket has to be paid by if you are not contesting it and when the court date is if you are contesting it?
                              In Alabama, State and County citations are returnable to District (County) Court. The Court(s) each set a return date for citations. That date can vary throughout the state. Our agency policy was to allow a month to either appear or respond to the citation. (Some exceptions). This court date is for an initial appearence. If a violator desires to plead "Not Guilty" he does so at initial appearance, and a trial date is set. If the violator wishes to enter a"Waiver of Appearance,and a plea of "Guilty"(Mail in the fine) he may do so at any time,from the date the citation was issued, until the court appearance date indicated on the citation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2895 users online. 162 members and 2733 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X