Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it would be possible for me to work as a police officer during college?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think it would be possible for me to work as a police officer during college?

I really want to work as a police officer while getting my ba and I was wondering if you think it is possible.

Based off the complete information that you have provided I will say...sure why not? unless of course, you have one or more disqualifying factors.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

ya but im wondering would a police department want to hire me knowing i am in college studying and i also want to play college lacrosse in the spring

Comment

You do realize that you have to attend a training acadamy to be a police officer? This is a full time commitment, at least here in KY (FL guys can help me out here, but I think FL is the same way). I was hired before I earned a degree, while I was still in school. I always ment to go back and finish the now >30 hours for my bachelors, but just haven't been able to work it out. I put in well over 40 hours a week. Plus school would get in the way of spending time with my son. I still plan to finish the degree, but it will have to be as a part time student. Lots of officers do this, but as far as being a full time student first and then an officer second (which is the way I take your post) that just won't cut it. The job requires too much to be secondary to school.

Also, not sure how old you are, but KY requires you to be at least 21 to be sworn. Check the laws in FL. I am sure they have age requirements as well.

Comment

I had a fraternity brother who was a reserve police officer while in college. It didn't pay anything, but it got him the same training as full-time officers so that when he graduated he could get picked up fairly easily. So yes, it's possible.
          sigpic

Comment

i was thinking possibly i would put in tons of hours in the summer like 14 hour shifts to make up for all the smaller shifts i had to take up during the school year

Comment

Originally posted by 305 4 LiFe View Post
              i was thinking possibly i would put in tons of hours in the summer like 14 hour shifts to make up for all the smaller shifts i had to take up during the school year
              You will be expected to work whatever hours the department works all other officers. It may be 8 hours a day - 5 days a week, or 10 hours a day 4 days a week, or 12 hours a day 3 days a week. You may be on a fixed shift or you may rotate shifts (days, night, graveyards). You will have to adjust your college and extracurricular activities to meet your work schedule..

In addition, many departments have conflict of interest rules that limit the number of hours you may be involved in a single outside activity, fearing it will conflict with the performance of your primary duties as a police officer (lack or proper rest). One agency I worked for prohibited you from spending more than 20 hours per week in a single outside activity.

When people pay you money to do things, you conform to their needs and not the other way around.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Your "plan" won't work. Try working security while you go to college. Zero commitment for you. I don't really think you understand the investment it takes to work as a police officer.
                Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

That's hilarious! Literally, I am still laughing. Thanks!

Comment

cop while in College

Several problems with your idea. Having worked full time and gone to college, almost full time, let me give you the skinny.

1. You need to go to the Police Academy first. That is usually a MINIMUM of 8 weeks(FLETC Basic), but usually more like 12-20+ weeks. so you would be out of college during that period.

2. After Graduation from the Police Academy you will be EXPECTED to work rotating shifts during your Field Training and probationary period, which is usually 12-15 weeks, but can be up to 3 years in some departments.

3. After you get out on your own, after Field Training is over, you MIGHT get a steady shift, usually the one NO SENIOR officer wants, or you may continue to ROTATE, Days, Evenings, Midnights, which reeks HAVOC on your circadian rhythm.

4. You will be subject to be HELD OVER after your shift or called in early, for some special detail, read $*%T detail that no one else wants, at a moments notice. Not to mention if you make an arrest or have to handle a LATE CALL.

I do not know of ANY Police Departments that will "ALLOW" you to work extra, during the summer, so you can work less during the winter. As a new officer, you will have MINIMAL Leave to use, assuming that they even allow you to do that.

5. Leave is usually granted based on seniority, sooooo....,,, All the senior offficers will have leave picks before you, good luck telling them you want off in Sept. Oct. for class or Dec, Jan (READ HOLIDAYS) so you can study for exams.....

6. Add in Court time for arrests you make, accidents you respond to, or EVEN if you make NO ARRESTS, you will still be subpoenaed for other officers cases when you back them up.

HAVING Said all that, there are ways of doing it. You could go to school and take on-line classes, and study whenever you want.

You could go to a traditional school like John Jay College of Criminal Justice, which is GEARED towards cops/Firefighters, etc. Check this site

http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/

out for further. GREAT SCHOOL I highly recommend it. 90% of PROFESSORS are retired NYPD Sgt, LT's, D.A.'s etc.

They basically have to same classes taught by the same professors, 2 times a day,,, so, CJ101 is taught 3rd period like 10AM, and then REPEATED 7th period at like 6 or 7 PM.... if you work days you go at night, etc.

As for playing SPORTS, ESPECIALLY LaCROSSE, I would say FORGET it.

Trying to juggle full time school and full time work is hard enough, if you do it, YOU WILL HAVE TIME for NOTHING ELSE.

Questions ????? PM ME.
                    Last edited by 2971511; 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'm a police officer and I attend an online college. It's easier on the work days.
                      My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

I really want to work as a police officer while getting my ba and I was wondering if you think it is possible.
                        Yes, it is possible. I know because I am doing it. Lots of officers are in college while still working.
                        http://www.truepolicestories.net - my website of all my stories as a police officer. Please read it and become a member!

Comment

Originally posted by Xerious View Post
                          Yes, it is possible. I know because I am doing it. Lots of officers are in college while still working.
                          Are you going to school full time and playing college sports? I know lots of officers take classes and finish thier degrees while working full time, but I have never known one to go to school full time, play sports and be able to attend the acadamy, FTO training and then work full time with all of the demands that are placed on us.

If the OP wants to be a police officer he could apply to whatever department he is interested in, go thru the acadamy, FTO training, etc. then look at finishing his degree on a part time basis.

Comment

This isn't McDonalds. You can't work 60 hours a week this month just to work 20 hours a week next month. This is a full time commitment and a career.

With that said, stay in college, play lacrosse, then if you still want to be a cop after you're done with that part of your life, do it.

Comment

LMAO! This shouldn't surprise me- though it is one of the best examples of lack of "life experience" that I have ever heard. Is this a generational thing?

That said- I worked full time as an LEO and was a full time college student my senior year. An open position came along and I didn't want to risk passing it up and not having a job after I graduated. I volunteered for night shifts and went to school during the day- it wasn't great and I had no social life but I got my diploma and a career!
                              ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9243 users online. 448 members and 8795 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X