Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red light cameras and free right turns.

If I pull up to a red light that has a red light camera and I use the free right turn will I get a ticket even though it was a legal action. In other words is the camera able to detect I am making a legal right turn or would the officer that processes the data from the camera have to recognize what I was doing?

I was doing an inmate transport to Seattle last week and came across an intersection marked as having red light cameras. I had the opportunity to take the free right but I really didn't want to get a ticket for doing so.

A lot depends on how the camera system is set up

In my area, the some of the camera systems are unusually sophisticated and high tech. Using radar, they measure the speed of approaching vehicles and based on how many seconds are left in the green light cycle, a computer predicts which approaching car will run the red light and has the cameras for that intersection track it. If that car runs the red light, which includes making a right turn on the red without stopping, it gets a cite. OTOH, if a car that is normally stropped at the red then makes a right turn, no cite is issued.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If right turn on red is allowed at an intersection that has a red light camera, the camera will not take your picture. HOWEVER, many red light camera's also have speed sensors, and can detect whether or not you came to a complete stop. If it does not detect a complete stop, then it would take your picture. However, it is a mechanical device and (at least in Louisiana), they fail more often than not. Especially the speeding cameras.

While the red light and speeding cameras are becomming more popular in the United States, they are being challenged by citizens more and more. The constitutionality of them is in question, i.e., no one in law enforcement actually witnessed a traffic violation, and they are questioning the privacy laws. Who knows it will probably end up in the Supreme Court.

I was stationed and lived in Germany for 14 years of my life. They've been using red light and speeding cameras long before they came to the US. I have personal first hand experience with their red light cameras from the 1980's.

Comment

I know of more than one judge that begins each day of traffic court by dismissing all of the camera tickets. They mention something about a person having the right to cross-examin their accusor.

Comment

Originally posted by 417Lt View Post
          I know of more than one judge that begins each day of traffic court by dismissing all of the camera tickets. They mention something about a person having the right to cross-examin their accusor.
          Here it is a civil citation. I've seen a couple of people try to fight them in court and have lost (Liable).

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            Here it is a civil citation. I've seen a couple of people try to fight them in court and have lost (Liable).
            It isnt in CA, thats for sure.....

CRIMINAL violation (infraction); $450ish fine, one point on your DMV record....exact same punishment as if you were written a cite by an on duty LEO......

Kudos to that judge btw.....
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6733 users online. 173 members and 6560 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X