Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard time making a decision-need your advice please.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard time making a decision-need your advice please.

Hey All,

I am currently only several weeks from coming home from an 8 month deployment to Iraq and I want to get my career finally on it's way. Some history-I have an Associates in Criminal Justice + 6 years in the PA Ntl Grd (Reconaissance/Infantry) (with one deployment) and 1.5 years in Corrections.

I recently applied for the position of a Deputy Sheriff, I am put through the academy which is three months long and I get paid, duh. It's a great start for my career. My other dilemna (sp?) is I can go through the Act 120 (which is required in PA to become a PO), the guard covers the course 100 percent. My ultimate goal for my career is to become a PO and work with in the K-9 department and possibly SWAT. IF and I mean IF the sheriff department is interested in me and after all the processing, I am given conditional employment with graduating the academy, I'll have to move about 3 hours from where I live now. The pay is good and only gets better. I won't want to do this forever however. I would like to transfer out once I am eligible to do so and go over to the PO world.

The 120 course is offered at a community college and is right up the road from me, several miles at the most. I obvisouly want to come out in the top 10. I'll be living at home or moving out and with the g/f which is always nice. The downfall to this is with the way this economy is going, who knows where it will be in another year. I feel with the 120 under my belt, I will be more quailified to apply for numerous Law Enforcement jobs right away. With the Sheriff's, it may limit me. I am not really sure....

Sorry for the confusion, just looking for some honest advice as to which road to take. If I am not clear enough, please say so and I'll attempt to fix anything.

Thanks everyone!

Christopher
    "I'm out old man. I'm just a pecker-wood who lives in the woods with too many guns. Ya happy?"-Bob Lee Swagger

So...if I understood correctly...

1) You are considering putting your self through required training, and the guard will pay for it.

2) And you are considering applying for a Sheriff's Dept. job three hours away, but they will pay you to go through the academy.

I would take which ever course comes along first. Don't turn down either option. You can always quit the training to join the Dept., and start over with them. Don't close any doors that you don't have to close.

SDT
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere View Post
      So...if I understood correctly...

1) You are considering putting your self through required training, and the guard will pay for it.

2) And you are considering applying for a Sheriff's Dept. job three hours away, but they will pay you to go through the academy.

I would take which ever course comes along first. Don't turn down either option. You can always quit the training to join the Dept., and start over with them. Don't close any doors that you don't have to close.

SDT
      Correct on everything. I actually sent in my application but it'll take about two weeks to even get to them.

Sounds great, Ty!
      "I'm out old man. I'm just a pecker-wood who lives in the woods with too many guns. Ya happy?"-Bob Lee Swagger

Comment

And good luck!
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

1. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!
          2. Since your education will be free either way, either way is good. Your service will enhance your desirability to any agency. Do some study about the economy where you want to work, some officer are graduating the academy, only to be laid off because of the down economy. It would be bad to be half way through the academy and have the Sheriff say "too bad, we ran out of money".
          Thus, I would lean toward going through the academy via the National Guard. But only you know what will be best for you.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

I would think if the Guard will put you through the next class when you get home then that may make you more marketable and available for in house/fto training faster than if the agency had to put you through.
            You can still apply to different places while your in the academy. Theres no guarantee you will be hired by the Sheriffs Office, but at least you would have the academy training under your belt if not hired on with them.
            Good luck and come home in 1 piece!
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Thank you much!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3477 users online. 243 members and 3234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X