Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ever feel sorry for someone after a investigation?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever feel sorry for someone after a investigation?

I have kind of an odd question for you guys here at Officer.com and a bit of a strange story to go along with it.

Do you ever feel a bit bad for someone who was a target in an investigation,
    That after all, you ended up finding out they were really never involved in?

Here's my story.

Back about 6-7 months ago, we had a police impersonator running around our town attempting to pull over women and rape them, I think the total was 7 times he pulled women over.

well backtrack about 3 weeks before this all started, my truck was stolen and totaled , my pride and joy, I had worked extremely hard to buy this truck.

I work for a security company, and my boss had just bought a handful of old CVPIs from the county auction to replace our wearing fleet of cars.

Well, he "gave" me one to use until the insurance investigation was over with, and I could purchase another vehicle

Either who, when the first attack happened, it was about 3 miles away from my house. I was at our office at the time of the attack.

the next day, someone from the local volly FD told the Sheriffs Dept. about my car, b/c he lives in my neighborhood. I was promptly removed from my house, detained, locked in a cruiser for an hour and a half, while my car was searched, my house was searched, w/o I Signed consent for all of it once I was told what was going on, I understand routine police work, and had nothing to hide, so I figured, why make it worse?

well at the hour and a half mark, the Victim was brought to my house to ID me, and she told them, not only was I not the suspect, but that she knew me personally, and was not very happy.

I'm not kidding, at all, when I say, I looked like the sketch of a guy to a T.

I figured this was all said and done with.

Well, not so.
    Later that night, I was out driving from one property to another, I was pulled over, car searched, until they realized I had been looked at before. Ok, fine whatever.

THAT NIGHT I was pulled over 4 more times.

the next night I was pulled over again. which prompted me to put a sign in my back window that said "I'm NOT the fake cop, LEAVE ME ALONE"

After I was pulled over with that sign, it stopped for a while. until he attacked again.

all in all, I was pulled over 21 times. 2 times by the local college PD, 1 time by a neighboring PD, 1 time by FHP and 17 times by the local Sheriffs Office.

I made the news with my car, a picture of me and my car were put on the local news, showing off my sign. inbetween getting pulled over here and there. I had Deputies coming to my work left and right just to take a picture of the sign, and get a good laugh at the whole situation, I was really light-hearted about the whole thing.

I ended up when they closed the investigation getting an apology letter from the SO and told they were trying to find a way to improve they're systems so if this got stirred up again, I would be stopped once, not twenty times.

So, 21 Felony Traffic stops later.... I'm rid of that damned crown vic. driving a nice 03 Dodge pickup now. Found out that the owner of the bodyshop my truck was at stole my damn truck.

and here to ask you all as officers. is there a time here and there, when you feel a bit bad for someone just being in the wrong place, at the wrong time?

There have been a few times I felt sorry for ME for getting involved.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Your car matched, you matched, it happens. If you had said no to the search, they would have brought the victim over, she wouldn't have IDed you, and you would have been done (for that day anywhere).

Comment

After you learned you were a pretty good match to the suspect, and the wording of your post, it almost seems to me you went out wanting to be mistaken for someone else. And consequently be stopped. What did you think was going to happen?
        21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

trust me, I tried everything I could, to make sure the deputies knew the difference between me, and anyone else who drove a Crown Vic at that point in time, I always kept magnets with our companies name on it, I put the regular plastic silver hubcaps on there, trying to make it look as non-police like as I could.

I'm not really worried about it, I tried to make sure they knew it was me, but I know nothing is 100%, I've actually made good friends with some of the supervisors after all of this was said and done.

Comment

Nope. An investigation is just that........to prove or disprove a fact.
            Last edited by deputy x 2; 07-26-2009, 09:58 PM.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4737 users online. 190 members and 4547 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
            X