X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeitgeist1
    replied
    Originally posted by just joe View Post
    Nothing like a spammer bringing back a 12 year old thread. Reported.
    Good catch. I didn't even notice the date.

Leave a comment:

• Zeitgeist1
    replied
    Here we will break windows for a child or pet. Perfectly legal and the vehicle owner will probably get a cite depending on the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    replied
    Just echoing what other officers have already said-

If there's a child stuck in the car, I'll do what I have to do to rescue the child. If someone doesn't have their keys to get into the car, I just tell them to call a locksmith. I want to help out as much as the next guy, yes I have a slim-jim available, and yes, I've unlocked a lot of cars over the years, but at this point in my career, I'm not willing to accept the liability for accidentally knocking a lock or latch rod out of it's plastic clip inside the door, especially since it's not a police matter.

As far as a criminal calling a locksmith to get into someone's car, that's pretty out there. In my opinion, locksmiths should do due diligence before opening anything for anybody, just like tow truck drivers should do due diligence before towing a car.

I will say, that when I have stopped tow truck drivers who happen to be towing a car, that a lot of times they have been completely unable to tell me who the car belongs to, or who asked them to tow it. That's just asking to get arrested for vehicle theft.

And entering a vehicle without legal permission is a felony, so OP, if you are a locksmith, I would counsel you to be DAMNED sure who the car belongs to and who you are unlocking it for, before you do anything like that. If you have any questions about any of that, you can call an officer to the scene.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2019, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    Nothing like a spammer bringing back a 12 year old thread. Reported.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    My agency only unlocks car doors in an emergency. Child locked in car, etc. That is accomplished in a manner which produces instant results, with no regard to the vehicle's appearance once the child /person is rescued. In a normal lockout situation the citizen is advised to contact a locksmith. With respect to any criminal problems, read my colleague's reply.
    Our current spambot revived several locksmith related thread--------------they have all been reported

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    My agency only unlocks car doors in an emergency. Child locked in car, etc. That is accomplished in a manner which produces instant results, with no regard to the vehicle's appearance once the child /person is rescued. In a normal lockout situation the citizen is advised to contact a locksmith. With respect to any criminal problems, read my colleague's reply.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Originally posted by jamie_locksmith View Post
    its good to have contact number of locksmith
    Holly revive a dead thread.

About jamie_locksmith
    Are You Employed in the Law Enforcement Industry No
    Are You a Sworn Police Officer No
    Occupation na
    Location usa

Esto significa que no se puede publicar en esta sección replys
    Это означает, что вы не можете писать replys в этом разделе
    Ita post non potes in hac parte replys
    هذا يعني أنك لا يمكن أن ندون آخر في هذا القسم
    זה אומר שאתה לא יכול לפרסם replys בסעיף זה

Leave a comment:

• major g
    replied
    We use the air wedge and a long plastic coated rod with a hook here. Will attempt any reasonable lockout as long as a waiver is signed. I just rescued 2 16 month olds from a car last week using it.

Leave a comment:

• BigW
    replied
    Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
    We unlock cars here. We have a slim jim and a nice kit that will get us in to just about any car. You have to sign a waiver for us to do it. I'm not a fan, but it's part of a small time department
    +1

Always get those waivers signed!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jamie_locksmith
    replied
    its good to have contact number of locksmith

Leave a comment:

• TexasAggieOfc
    replied
    We unlock cars here. We have a slim jim and a nice kit that will get us in to just about any car. You have to sign a waiver for us to do it. I'm not a fan, but it's part of a small time department

Leave a comment:

• catch um and ba
    replied
    Most departments don't mess with locks unless there's someone dying inside.Then I'd just smash the window....

Seriously too many people have sued or tried to sue over damages. A few ungrateful people spoiled it for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• cgh6366
    replied
    We call AAA or a tow company for lockouts.

If you didn't verify who someone was and unlocked a car for them that ended up being stolen, you would likely not be crmiinally liable, but civilly you could.
    Last edited by cgh6366; 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yankee_1
    replied
    we unlock cars all the time . we have slim jim which I have never been able to work, and a plastic wedge and metal rod. operator has to sign a waiver for damage. you may be waiting a long time to get unlocked though. I did once have a locksmith get mad cause we were taking away his livelyhood.

Leave a comment:

• valvestem
    replied
    Where I worked we used the "Slim Jims" to help out when we could, until a woman filed a claim with the city for a damaged rubber door gasket. End of helping out. "We'll call a locksmith for you?", was standard response for a lockout after that.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7888 users online. 436 members and 7452 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X