300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two locksmith related questions

I had a quick question I was hoping you all could answer about how various police agencies handle lockout situations (for example a person locks his or her keys in their car). Do any agencies provide tools and training to handle this situation? I know here in Fort Collins officers have minimal if any training or tools and tend to not attempt to unlock cars because of the whole liability issue, which seems like a good reason. Am I right to assume if it truly was an emergency where the police were present the glass would just be broken?

I also have another question: could a locksmith potentially be held criminally accountable for inadvertently unlocking a door for a criminal? What if that locksmith was fairly diligent in checking ID and proof of ownership of the vehicle or house, but still ended up helping a criminal? I'm aware the locksmith could be sued, but I'm wondering if they could be considered an "accomplice" to the crime. This might be a question for a lawyer, but I would greatly appreciate any input from Law Enforcement Officers.

Thank you!
    Fort Collins Locksmith

I am pretty sure the wording knowingly and unlawfully is going to be a big part of most crimes. So if there was a good ID check and proof of ownership as well as service provided in good faith. I believe it would be hard to catch a criminal charge as a Locksmith.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

the police are not the pop-a-lock guys. if you call me about locking your keys in the car i will tell you to hang up, dial 411, and ask the operator for a locksmith. lock your child in the car in this florida heat and i will break your window for you. as stated above if the locksmith checked ID and did everything in good faith he should be fine.
      Last edited by luckydog; 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Around here if someone is locked out the locksmith will come out, open the door and LE will check the residence to verify that person actually lives there still. Usually they look for mail in the residence.

Comment

My department *may* unlock your car, some officers have the tools but the majority don't. The fire department will unlock your car if there are kids inside. Pets, its locksmith time. I don't have the tools, but as long as your physically capable I'll let you borrow my baton to break your own window. That way there's no question on if you wanted it broken or not.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Where I worked we used the "Slim Jims" to help out when we could, until a woman filed a claim with the city for a damaged rubber door gasket. End of helping out. "We'll call a locksmith for you?", was standard response for a lockout after that.
            21 Years, Retired, Pensioned

Comment

we unlock cars all the time . we have slim jim which I have never been able to work, and a plastic wedge and metal rod. operator has to sign a waiver for damage. you may be waiting a long time to get unlocked though. I did once have a locksmith get mad cause we were taking away his livelyhood.

Comment

We call AAA or a tow company for lockouts.

If you didn't verify who someone was and unlocked a car for them that ended up being stolen, you would likely not be crmiinally liable, but civilly you could.
                Last edited by cgh6366; 07-14-2009, 06:53 PM.
                "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                sigpic

Comment

Most departments don't mess with locks unless there's someone dying inside.Then I'd just smash the window....

Seriously too many people have sued or tried to sue over damages. A few ungrateful people spoiled it for everyone.

Comment

We unlock cars here. We have a slim jim and a nice kit that will get us in to just about any car. You have to sign a waiver for us to do it. I'm not a fan, but it's part of a small time department
                    sigpic
                    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

its good to have contact number of locksmith
                      If you are searching for Local Locksmiths
                      or Emergency Locksmiths then visit us.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAggieOfc View Post
                        We unlock cars here. We have a slim jim and a nice kit that will get us in to just about any car. You have to sign a waiver for us to do it. I'm not a fan, but it's part of a small time department
                        +1

Always get those waivers signed!!!!!!

Comment

We use the air wedge and a long plastic coated rod with a hook here. Will attempt any reasonable lockout as long as a waiver is signed. I just rescued 2 16 month olds from a car last week using it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie_locksmith View Post
                            its good to have contact number of locksmith
                            Holly revive a dead thread.

About jamie_locksmith
                            Are You Employed in the Law Enforcement Industry No
                            Are You a Sworn Police Officer No
                            Occupation na
                            Location usa

Esto significa que no se puede publicar en esta sección replys
                            Это означает, что вы не можете писать replys в этом разделе
                            Ita post non potes in hac parte replys
                            هذا يعني أنك لا يمكن أن ندون آخر في هذا القسم
                            זה אומר שאתה לא יכול לפרסם replys בסעיף זה
                            It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

My agency only unlocks car doors in an emergency. Child locked in car, etc. That is accomplished in a manner which produces instant results, with no regard to the vehicle's appearance once the child /person is rescued. In a normal lockout situation the citizen is advised to contact a locksmith. With respect to any criminal problems, read my colleague's reply.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6148 users online. 243 members and 5905 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X