Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything that I can do? Registration and Title Fraud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything that I can do? Registration and Title Fraud?

I will make this hopefully a long story short. I do not know where to start with this or if there is anything that I can do.

My husband purchased a truck for our son. My husband had the bill of sale in his name but had not had it registered. We were in hopes that our son would be able to get his drivers license back soon. He didn't.
    Our son was in a Christian rehab. The truck was parked there for safe keeping.
    While in this rehab, he made friends with whom he thought was his friend.

His friend was about to get his license back. In the course of his stay there, his friend told him that when they got out, that there would be a job waiting for them in another county. My son had the bill of sale and title in his possession. My son graduated the rehab before this so called friend. He came home. He left the title and bill of sale with this guy to hold just in case there was a problem with the truck there.

Well, this friend got his license back, took the Title and bill of sale to have it put in his name. How he did this, I don't know. My husband never signed the title over to my son, which was probably a mistake. The bill of sale was in my husbands name and we have the canceled check.

So, this guy is driving the truck we purchased for him. We are out the money and my son is out the truck.
    Is there anything that we can do or are we screwed? This guy has a major meth record and DOC record. Is on probation. Didn't know this until after the fact.

Can someone please let us know what to do? I thought about calling and letting him know that he purchased the truck illegally and we were going to press charges, but I may have no recourse. If there is any advice please let me know. and please don't tell me that we were crazy to do this. We already are sick over this. thanks for your help!

Can anyone help?

Comment

Its Civil! 10-8
      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Yes...a civil matter. But go to the DMV and see if they can point you in the right direction.

I do not mean to be harsh but are you 100% positive your son is clean? What was he in rehab for? It would not be the first time I've encountered titles being transferred like this...or kids selling their parents cars and keeping the money.

Comment

You should also contact your State Highway Patrol or Department of Vehicles as they normally investigate these sort of crimes. The vehicle title was in your husband's name and he did not transfer it to the new "owner"- your son or his "friend". Therefore, any documents that the new "owner" provided to the state to get the vehicle retitled are fraudulent. In our state, title fraud and providing counterfeit legal documents are felonies.

I would also suggest you speak with a private attorney about getting your property back.
          ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

Don't know about Florida but in Colo, I would investigate and usually file a forgery and theft charge.
            "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430 View Post
              Yes...a civil matter. But go to the DMV and see if they can point you in the right direction.

I do not mean to be harsh but are you 100% positive your son is clean? What was he in rehab for? It would not be the first time I've encountered titles being transferred like this...or kids selling their parents cars and keeping the money.
              Yes, he is clean. For 2 years. He was in rehab for mainly drinking and to deal with issues from childhood. He had always had a trust issue in the past because of something that happened to him as a child. (If you know what I mean?) 25 years of not telling us about that and holding in the anger. Now, this. I know now why he drank and did drugs.

Would there be anything that I can say to leave on this guys voice mail to get him to either pay us for what we paid for the truck or give it back.

BTW, we don't have any paper work except the canceled check from when my husband purchased the truck.

Just an FYI. My son is not with us now until August. He relapsed and is in another rehab. Doing very well and getting his life back together. Having an addictive personality and my father was an alcoholic didn't help. Plus the anger of being violated. Sad story.
              Last edited by Gatormom; 07-11-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatormom View Post

BTW, we don't have any paper work except the canceled check from when my husband purchased the truck.
                Go to the dealer and get them to give you a copy of the paperwork. It should clearly show you bought it and not this other dude.

Go to the police department and find out if it's a criminal or civil matter. At least you will know from the horse's mouth whether or not there is a prosecutable offense. If it's not, get an attorney and sue.
                If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

His friend was about to get his license back. In the course of his stay there, his friend told him that when they got out, that there would be a job waiting for them in another county. My son had the bill of sale and title in his possession. My son graduated the rehab before this so called friend. He came home. He left the title and bill of sale with this guy to hold just in case there was a problem with the truck there.
                  Either you didn't explain this part right, of your son is putting one over on you. It makes no sense. No one would really do this.

"My truck is at my parent's house. Here, hold the title for me in case there's a problem...I don't know what kind of problem would be solved by you holding the title, but just do it."

See what I mean? Did I misunderstand?
                  If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Contact your local LE agency, or the Florida Dept of Highway Safety&Motor Vehicles. My reading of your post indicates a possible criminal offense on the part of your son's "friend".

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                      Either you didn't explain this part right, of your son is putting one over on you. It makes no sense. No one would really do this.

"My truck is at my parent's house. Here, hold the title for me in case there's a problem...I don't know what kind of problem would be solved by you holding the title, but just do it."

The rehab would not let the truck stay there unless there was paper work to show that it was a purchased vehicle. The rehab sells cars and trucks for profit to help out the adults there. Meaning, their room,board and meals.

Comment

Go to the dealer and get them to give you a copy of the paperwork. It should clearly show you bought it and not this other dude.

Go to the police department and find out if it's a criminal or civil matter. At least you will know from the horse's mouth whether or not there is a prosecutable offense. If it's not, get an attorney and sue.
                        My husband bought it from a private owner. One of his customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatormom View Post
                          The rehab would not let the truck stay there unless there was paper work to show that it was a purchased vehicle. The rehab sells cars and trucks for profit to help out the adults there. Meaning, their room,board and meals.
                          When your son got out, he left the truck and the paperwork there with this friend.

Por que? Still not making sense; the friend did not even have a license so you can't say he needed to borrow the truck.

---Jack Handey

Comment

When your son got out, he left the truck and the paperwork there with this friend.

Por que? Still not making sense; the friend did not even have a license so you can't say he needed to borrow the truck.
                            These are the reasons I believe that the son may have sold the truck to the other guy without the parents permission or knowledge. If he had signed the title over and received money for it, there could not be any charges brought against the other guy if he believed everything is in good faith.

I've had plenty of cases similar to this. I find a suspicious vehicle thats occupied. The 'new' owner shows me the title thats signed over to him and tells me he bought it but the old owner let him use the tags until he could get it registered. Then contact the registered owner who has allowed their child to use the car on a regular bases (use it..not own it) and that child sells it to support their drug habit.

Comment

Hate to say it but I think you son isn't telling you everything or being completely honest...there's more to this then he's telling you.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6423 users online. 288 members and 6135 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X