Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a C.J. Degree but already certified....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a C.J. Degree but already certified....

Hello all-

I am already a certified officer and would like to finish my college degree. I received 15 credit hours from attending the academy and was considering continuing on and finishing my degree in C.J.

My question: Is it worth it to get a C.J. degree while already working in law enforcement? What other career or advancement opportunities are available to someone with a C.J. degree and LE experience?

I know some will say to get a degree in something else to fall back on, but honestly, outside of the health field....there isn't much to fall back on these days!

I'm doing the same thing, only because I had a few credits left (for a A.A.) The only benefit to me is that it will assist in getting a raise, whenever the economy gets fixed... say 2020?

It would also help if I leave and want to lateral over to departments that require 2 year degrees.

If you want to go federal, many require 4 year degrees. I HATE school, so zippy chance I'm sticking around for another 2. Going federal isn't that important to me.

Comment

Finish up your CJ degree. I got my masters in CJ while I was a currently certified LEO. I had my BA before i got into LE but, getting more deucation is nothing but a good thing. Really doesn't matter what your degree is in unless your going very specific like CPA, Lawyer, etc. All a degree does is shows prospective employers that you capable of being trained and taught new skills and can retain information. Beyond all that BS it's not much more then a $50,000 piece of paper.

Comment

Don't forget that a degree can help you get promoted. Where I work you are given points for a degree when it comes time for a promotion. I had my BS just like the above poster prior to getting into LE. I'm now working on my MA degree now and am almost done. I wish I would have completed it years ago.

Comment

Any degree is worth getting.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone...I will definately look into pursuing the C.J. degree further

Comment

My department pays me extra $$$ for my two degree and I 'm working on my BS in CJ now. so I will get extra $$$ when I complete my BS.
              My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT View Post
                Hello all-

I am already a certified officer and would like to finish my college degree. I received 15 credit hours from attending the academy and was considering continuing on and finishing my degree in C.J.

My question: Is it worth it to get a C.J. degree while already working in law enforcement? What other career or advancement opportunities are available to someone with a C.J. degree and LE experience?

I know some will say to get a degree in something else to fall back on, but honestly, outside of the health field....there isn't much to fall back on these days!
                Well, it's worth it just to have a degree. This kind of thread comes up all the time. You should always pursue as much education as you can. Now whether it's in the field of criminal justice or not is for you to decide. Personally, I'd pick something else.

Comment

You can also fall back on the CJ degree. With a degree and experience you can always teach at a technical college or academy. A part time teaching gig could be a source of extra income. When I was deployed to Afghanistan I used my degree and experience to get a part time position with a college teaching other soldiers CJ classes. Not only did this help other soldiers earn credit for a degree but I was paid extra by the college to do it. It also help me with boredom and stress even though I probably got less sleep when I was teaching. I really got paid when I was staioned over there. I had the military pay with all the benefits, tax exempt status, I got suplemental pay from my last department and I got paid by the college which was also tax exempt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4880 users online. 303 members and 4577 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X