300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I feel bad??

So, I am trying to start a patch collection, so I started mailing out letters and emails requesting patched from various agencies around the country. Somehow it got misunderstood that the patches were for a display at my PD, which they aren't. Some people have included notes saying good luck with my display and such. Should I feel bad, do i need to send letters to those agencies to clarify, do I need to make a display to hang in the PD???? I kinda feel bad, but don't know if I should??? What to do, what to do???
    “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

No even personnal collectors tend to display them. If you did not send it on official police letterhead they realize it's for personnal display.
    Originally posted by ISPY4U2
    Tex, if I'm ever in the Lone Star state, which is unlikely unless I'm being held prisoner against my will by separatist extremists, remind me to buy you a beer. You make more sense every post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex4720 View Post
      No even personnal collectors tend to display them. If you did not send it on official police letterhead they realize it's for personnal display.
      I had to send a few, 3 i think, on police letterhead, because that is the only way they would give me one.
      “Fear not the night.

Fear that which walks the night.

And I am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me…

and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…

because I walk the night.”

Comment

If your the police then you can write it on police letterhead with no issue.

Comment

Were you using department stationary or email accounts to request the patches, or signing your request as

officer XXX
          Such and such, PD/SO?
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Do PDs just give around free patches to people? AWESOME! I want too!

Comment

Originally posted by JKralC104 View Post
              If your the police then you can write it on police letterhead with no issue.
              Not true. At our dept, letterhead means official business only. Any improper use of such, is subject to discipline.

Fin man,
              Patch trading is usually done between officers who collect them. Patches are purchased at the uniform store.

Future cop,
              Perhaps this was to verify that you work for the agency. Next time, enclose your business card.
              Last edited by deputy x 2; 06-28-2009, 08:05 PM.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Very true X-2. He should know if he is breaking the rules of his department, however, and doing that is at his own risk.

Comment

I would maintain your honor and integrity and clarify yourself with those that think your do this for your agency. Also offer to return the patch if it is a issue.

Comment

If you are in fact a sworn law enforcement officer I wouldn't worry about it. But I would clarify on any future letters that you are sending out that the patches are for your private collection.
                    Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureCop1 View Post
                      Somehow it got misunderstood that the patches were for a display at my PD, which they aren't.
                      Then make it VERY CLEAR in your request! If you are not clear, then you are misleading the intent /purpose of the request.

On a side-note, I'd be happy to mail you one from my Department for your *personal* collection, just PM me with info.
                      LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP BEER!

Comment

Seriously do one just get patches from PDs on request for free?

Comment

Originally posted by JAR_fin View Post
                          Seriously do one just get patches from PDs on request for free?
                          Not really-Depends-here in the bay area a lot of the cities contract with companies that make patches/official uniforms, and such you need to have an official ID to purchase a patch-depts. wont just "hand them out"-but I remember on a trip to L.A. 15 years ago I went to a station and traded an officer an SF patch for an LA Traffic Patch-Good times-the closest you can get is buying patches off of EBay.
                          Some places are very strict-I can purchase an SFFD patch as a collector at the local dept. store, but the CHP does not allow anyone other than a CHP officer to purchase a patch.

Comment

Double-Post-Sorry!

Comment

Yeah I would clarify to those that think it was for a PD display. The other thing is that i think there is actually a forum on here for trading patches with other officers if you have patches from your Dept. to trade.

Also I know about 10 years ago or so when I started there used to be actuall websites for patch trading among officers from all over the country/world. That may have changes though since 911. Try and google and see what you come up with. Good luck and do make sure you clarify for future requests that it is for a personal collection.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5145 users online. 283 members and 4862 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X