300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers Using Aliases

This may be a peculiar question... I am considering a position with Border Patrol. I have read several articles and posts about bounties on agents and reprisals on them and their families. I have a very uncommon last name. If you google my last name, my home address is the first hit. Is it possible for an agent to have an "on duty alias" in order to keep his/her personal life, just that, personal?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Nobody; 07-08-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I know a lot of officers that will use a fake first name.

Officer "Jacob Martin" may give a contact "Jimmy" as a first name after said contact sees "J. Martin" on his name badge.
      "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
        no

and it's not really a big problem - something to keep in mind, and there are requests you can make to keep your information personal and secured on some websites, but they'll tell you all of that in the academy.
        They don't allow it in Corrections either.

I had an inmate mail me a legally threatening letter that actually made it to my house. The Associate Superintendent called me into her office and showed me the letter. She told me that the Attorney General couldn't block it. Fortunately, it was to an old address but it was only the block and not the actual street number. The post office forwarded it and once I received it I wrote him up for it. He was found guilty and lost good time.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
          Last edited by Nobody; 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

The irony is that we're all using aliases to post on the internet...
            "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyCutter View Post
              It's not an Alias, it's a codename.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                It's not an Alias, it's a codename.
                Actually, I believe it is called a "User Name" in these and most forums.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                  Actually, I believe it is called a "User Name" in these and most forums.
                  Well yeah but codename sounds cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by KJB View Post
                    Well yeah but codename sounds cooler.
                    I'm begining to understand why you chose the name 'KJB'.

Comment

There are other things that you can do but because this is a public forum you prolly wont get many answers.

Comment

my first name, as well as every one of my commissioned co-workers' first names, is "Officer"

Comment

Originally posted by BPAJC1 View Post
                          If you google my last name, my home address is the first hit. Is it possible for an agent to have an "on duty alias" in order to keep his/her personal life, just that, personal?

There is usually a way to request to have your personal information removed from many such Websites. Read the information here: http://www.whitepages.com/privacy_central. Also, scroll to the bottom to see a list of other similar sites that you will also need to request to have your information removed from. Keep in mind that if you move, switch utility companies, etc., oftentimes your information can be re-posted on these Websites because they use tools that automatically search for new updates.
                          Last edited by LPSS; 06-18-2009, 08:29 PM.
                          "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyCutter View Post

Wait, what?

Well, wait until I tell Mrs. Class that the rest of you folks just make your names up. For shame...
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

A couple of simple things you can do:
                              Get a P.O. Box - all repeat ALL mail goes to the P.O. Box.
                              Use a cell phone for your home phone - with the address that of the P.O. Box

Limit what you put on the internet -
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2339 users online. 142 members and 2197 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X