X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1062PP
    replied
    Originally posted by aaronc View Post
    I've seen NYPD officers wear modified balaclava in the winter but their entire face is visible, only the neck and sides of head are covered.
    If the weather permits, it's authorized(for patrol). Also its not modified, its just pulled down below the chin. Some Bosses think they are apparently too intimidating so they make the rooks pull them below their chin.

Leave a comment:

• TazedYaBro
    replied
    I wear mine in the winter time and im in patrol. I do it cause im tuff and a ninja.

Leave a comment:

• mikeymedic
    replied
    Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
    The flame retardant thing is the main reason, but I wear one during the dead of winter when on a foot beat or assigned to traffic duty, when it is bitter cold... Keeps my face from becoming numb, prevents frostbite.
    I'm going to do that in the winter time as well. That and it will help to reduce all of the "are you old enough to be a cop" comments.

Leave a comment:

• Surf
    replied
    Our policy dictates use of them for practical reasons mentioned, fire, glass etc. We are not allowed to deploy, or be in a stick when a flashbang is deployed. Also if you plan to rake and break a window, I would suggest using one. Also as mentioned, they have very legitimate psychological effects.

Leave a comment:

• aikido kid
    replied
    I wear on on patrol. It gets below zero here...

...in june.

Leave a comment:

• ShantyIrish
    replied
    I wore mine as part of a halloween costume once....on the way to the party I stopped at a liquor store....

................forgot I had it on....................

Leave a comment:

• Jaekhammer
    replied
    We are prohibited from wearing them. If a search warrant is executed based on your undercover work you are not allowed to go until the place is secure and no one is left there that can identify you. We are allowed to wear helmets, mics and protective eye wear that partially obscure our faces. We had an old school Sheriff once that said "only bad guys wear a mask to work".

Leave a comment:

• Rush817
    replied
    Don't forget the CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor! Our team wears them for the reasons mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• irishlad2nv
    replied
    Originally posted by KJB View Post
    When I mentioned camo I was referring to situations where you want to be as invisible as you can as long as possible or necessary. Hostage rescue for example. When our ERT uses flash bangs we are wearing helmets with full face shields.
    So by wearing the gear mentioned, you are invisible...interesting.

Covert could be used here instead of invisible. Not all SWAT/HRT/QRT teams where a mask. And I definately don't see them wanting the illusion that they are "invisible". Kind of hard to be silent/invisible when you are running towards a door to bust down or rappelling off of a roof, isn't it? Or is there some secret squirrel powers that you know of in the corrections industry?

Camo or one wanting to remain "invisible" would be your oh so friendly sniper

Leave a comment:

• wirefire2
    replied
    I figured they were SWAT, but they weren't performing SWAT-like functions, at least from what I saw.

That then raises the question: why do SWAT wear balaclavas?
    SWAT officers do more than smash down doors and throw flash bangs.

Generally they bring more and heavier fire power to dangerous situation and part of their jobs can be securing a large scene and preventing further attacks.

Leave a comment:

• QRF
    replied
    I seem to remember reading this recently, that all LAPD officers' faces would now have to be visible so that if there was an incident, members of the public would be able to identify any officers about whom they had a complaint. I am not certain of this, however. It may be something one of my left-leaning fellow students told me.
    I've never heard this... as a matter of fact, if you have tattoos on your face, LAPD policy dictates you have to keep it covered.

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    replied
    I wear one simply because it's cool and I look like a superhero

Seriously I'v found that alot of folks don't realize that in most depts patrol guys make up the SWAT team, mine has full time but I'm part time, ride with SWAT gear in car and deploy if something happens.

You deal with some many terds on a routine basis, when I hit a house that has folks that I'v busted numerous times on the street, I prefer to cover my face for psycological reasons. It adds tremendous value to the shock and suprise factor when we hit the house. They stop trying to talk $hit like they would when dealing with an everyday officer, and figure the dept has brought out the big boys who stay in glass cases and the Sheriff has broken the glass and deployed his secret weapon. You generally get 120% compliance upon entry, not to mention it usually starts to smell in the house quickly cause everyone has shat their pants.

Another thing is folks generally dont' take it personal when you arrest them although they could, thats why we carry concealed most of the time. However, when you raid their house and scare the shat out of their family drag their wife from bed to the floor and round the kids up while checking their rooms with guns at the ready, that tends to leave an impression, and you just might get that one nut that takes that part really personally and now he's bonded out and he recognizes you while your in walmart with your family. For those reasons, I mask up also.

Leave a comment:

• dadyswat
    replied
    Our team always wore them. Some detectives that worked narco were on the team and it offered protection along with goggles for face protection.

Leave a comment:

• vsp645
    replied
    I wear one when there is a bad snowstorm and im working but I always take care to identify myself to the public and my name is prominently displayed on my uniform. When deployed with our riot squad we wear the nomex fire retardant hood and there is no name displayed because of the fact that our cloth nametags are not fire retardant though the nomex fire suit is.

Leave a comment:

replied
    The flame retardant thing is the main reason, but I wear one during the dead of winter when on a foot beat or assigned to traffic duty, when it is bitter cold... Keeps my face from becoming numb, prevents frostbite.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3180 users online. 164 members and 3016 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X