300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Carry in California

Hello all, I recently purchased a shotgun, and feel like the best spot to carry it is in the trunk, like my handgun. But in my searching I read that the trunk laws apply to concealable guns or "assault riffles." Since this shotgun is not an "assault rifle" as best as I can gather, is it allowable to carry it inside my car unloaded? Even if it is legal, what do you guys think about that, pulling someone over with a shotgun in their car.

Just looking for the best way not to cause in issue in the event that I am T/Sed. Thanks in advance for all of your feedback.
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

There is really no reason to not put it in the trunk.

Comment

Personal observation: You are interested in becoming a LEO and as such should conduct yourself in a manner that is above reproach. Leave the weapons at home and don't do anything that could, even remotely, adversely affect your goals. Once you become an officer, then you can carry what you want - within certain parameters. You should do all you can to be an upstanding citizen and not even present the idea that you may be over zealous. Cool it!!!

Good luck!
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Why would you carry an unloaded shotgun in the passenger portion of your car?

SGTCHP posted a great response.
        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Thank you for the feedback.

I guess I posed the question in a way that would make it seem like I want to carry the shotgun the cab of my car. I apologize, I was just shocked that the law is worded that way, as it doesn't seem very safe at all to carry a weapon in this manner. I was just wondering how an LEO would view this. I would only carry any firearm in the trunk as a non-sworn individual.

Comment

Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
            I guess I posed the question in a way that would make it seem like I want to carry the shotgun the cab of my car.
            You worded your question right, no need to back pedal now. Just follow the advice and don't even mess around with that kind of potential situation.
            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

That's a load of crap. If you want to exercise your rights, then you should do so. Don't listen to a guy who will tell you that you need to do this or that if you want to end up a cop. You came here looking for a clarification of the law and unfortunately the two officers from California who are the best qualified to answer your question, tell you to cool it. That's baloney. I don't know what's in the water in California, but whatever it is, I hope it stays in California. Just because you may desire to become a cop one day doesn't mean you have to give up any of your constitutionally guaranteed rights. They are your rights, not someones privileges. Sounds like some cops in California do not have a strong conviction of the Constitution and would give you false or mis-leading information instead of the facts.

I agree there's no reason to carry the gun in the passenger area of the car. And I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to carry it in the vehicle at all. Unless you're transporting it from home to the range, or hunting, etc. But to just carry it in the trunk? Not sure I understand that. Have you seen what humidity and moisture will do to the bluing on a gun in very short time-span? Even if it's in a gun case it doesn't take very long at all to ruin the finish of a gun.

I can't help you with your own laws, but don't be bullied into believing that if you obey the law and exercise your rights that that is somehow going to lessen your chances of becoming a cop down the road.

Comment

If you are applying for a LE position in Louisiana, what the above poster says may apply. However; since you are interested in a CA agency I stand by my post. I am not telling you to forego your 2A rights, I am offering advice that may save you some issues.

I have conducted backgrounds in CA and will share that there are some very concerning factors that come into play during those investigations. My recommendations are based on my experience.

I do note that the previous poster qualifies his own comment with the fact that he is unaware of the laws in CA and references carrying a weapon in the trunk and the deteriorating aspects of such. I agree with his statements.

Having mentioned all of this, you do what you want. Just remember, the previous poster is unfamiliar with CA law enforcement and, as such, unqualified to make a recommendation that applies to the State of CA.

Good luck!!!
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

He asked for clearification of the law, and you or any other California Law Enforcement Office has still not answered his question. You're intitled to your opinion, but why do you insist on not answering the question of law? It's not that difficult. I know there are a lot of posers on the forum "Ask A Cop" and it seems like everytime someone asks a question, the very first thing many LEO's do is to slam the person asking the question. In this case, the guy wanted clearification of the law and he get's everything but that.

It looks like maybe you retired in '92. Is it you've been out of LE so long that maybe you don't know what the law is in this particular case? I may not know California law, but I can get on state web sites and search the criminal code in California, but with so many qualified California Officers, why should I have to do that. Someone just answer the guys question.

Comment

Apparently our esteemed colleague in the South wants some references to read so I will offer these for his perusal:

California Penal Code sections: 12020, 12025 and 12031.

Additionally, California Fish and Game Code section 2006 may apply.

Hopefully, your questions are answered!

Comment

There is another consideration no one has touched on here.

While California does not prohibit carrying an unloaded shotgun in your vehicle, most people don't routinely do it, particularly when it is in the exposed passenger compartment. I mean really, how often do people find the need to jump out of their vehicle with a shotgun at the ready, unless they are cops or criminals?

Most off duty cops don't routinely carry a shotgun in their trunk because they know that if they need it, it will take too long to get to it and they will be without cover for too long while they run to the trunk. Similarly, they don't keep a shotgun inside their vehicle because they don't want to be mistaken for a bad guy and besides, when was the last time you heard of an officer needing a shotgun in an off duty shooting?

So, that just leaves us with the crooks. If you get stopped with a shotgun in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, odds are three things are going to come into play:

1. Unless you have a police badge and ID at the ready, the officer contacting you is going to suspect that you may be a criminal and conduct a "high risk" stop. This may involve removing you from the car at gunpoint, proning you and the occupants of your vehicle out on the ground and cuffing you.

2. California law allows for the inspection of your weapon to determine if it is loaded. It will then be inspected.

3. Even if your gun is unloaded, another factor may come into play. As I said before, usually the only folks who carry shotguns around in the passenger compartment are crooks and California has tons of unsolved robberies and assaults. If the officers look hard enough or call dispatch and have them look through the teletypes, I will bet they can find at least one or two bulletins for outstanding crime suspects that meet your general description with respect to age, height, weight, ethnicity, weapon and vehicle description. California law allows for the arrest of someone if there is reasonable cause to believe they have committed a felony, even if it later turns out that no felony was committed in the first place. I have seen folks in such circumstances spend a couple of days in jail while they try to tie them to any outstanding crimes in the area. Try explaining that to your BI.

The whole point is that, yes, you are free to exercise your rights to carry an unloaded shotgun in the passenger compartment of your car. But doing so may result in some unintended consequences you never anticipated.
                      Last edited by L-1; 05-15-2009, 11:09 PM.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                        There is another consideration no one has touched on here.

While California does not prohibit carrying an unloaded shotgun in your vehicle, most people don't routinely do it, particularly when it is in the exposed passenger compartment. I mean really, how often do people find the need to jump out of their vehicle with a shotgun at the ready, unless they are cops or criminals?

Most off duty cops don't routinely carry a shotgun in their trunk because they know that if they need it, it will take too long to get to it and they will be without cover for too long while they run to the trunk. Similarly, they don't keep a shotgun inside their vehicle because they don't want to be mistaken for a bad guy and besides, when was the last time you heard of an officer needing a shotgun in an off duty shooting?

So, that just leaves us with the crooks. If you get stopped with a shotgun in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, odds are three things are going to come into play:

1. Unless you have a police badge and ID at the ready, the officer contacting you is going to suspect that you may be a criminal and conduct a "high risk" stop. This may involve removing you from the car at gunpoint, proning you and the occupants of your vehicle out on the ground and cuffing you.

2. California law allows for the inspection of your weapon to determine if it is loaded. It will then be inspected.

3. Even if your gun is unloaded, another factor may come into play. As I said before, usually the only folks who carry shotguns around in the passenger compartment are crooks and California has tons of unsolved robberies and assaults. If the officers look hard enough or call dispatch and have them look through the teletypes, I will bet they can find at least one or two bulletins for outstanding crime suspects that meet your general description with respect to age, height, weight, ethnicity, weapon and vehicle description. California law allows for the arrest of someone if there is reasonable cause to believe they have committed a felony, even if it later turns out that no felony was committed in the first place. I have seen folks in such circumstances spend a couple of days in jail while they try to tie them to any outstanding crimes in the area. Try explaining that to your BI.

The whole point is that, yes, you are free to exercise your rights to carry an unloaded shotgun in the passenger compartment of your car. But doing so may result in some unintended consequences you never anticipated.
                        Thank you. That's what I was wondering, how it was dealt with. I was shocked that the law is that way in California, especially considering how strict the gun laws are here.
                        I appreciate the feedback, and will not even think about carrying the shotgun in the car for all of the reasons stated above and the fact that it just creates a problem that doesn't need to be there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7598 users online. 440 members and 7158 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X