300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Laser/Lidar work in the rain

I have kind of a silly question. Today when driving home I passed a city officer on the shoulder running laser. What seemed funny to me was that it has raining/drizzling at the time. The mist from the cars and trucks was so predominate that my laser detector picked him up not only way down the road, even though he was directing the laser in another lane, but even as I passed beside him. So my question is; do laser guns work with considerable moisture in the air?

While I think it silly for an officer to be sgtanding out in the rain just to catch a speeder, I thought it sillier that he would be using technology that in theory would have a problem with light refraction in rainy conditions. I know that a you guys dont typically like to discuss the technical aspects of radars, but this seemed odd to me.

For those that wonder why I have a detector in my vehicle, I tend to have a heavy foot and it is a good reminder to slow it down when it goes off. I know the implications of getting pulled over with it from your standpoint and accept that I have already had my warning. I try to abide by the prima fascia speeding laws in my state but sometimes I do go a little faster then other moving traffic.

Anyway, I am just curious and would appreciate an answer. Thanks for doing the good work you guys do.

Without going too far into its technical operations here is a direct quote from one of the Lidar companies websites

The ProLaser III's selectable environmental mode minimizes the range-limiting effects of poor weather conditions. You'll experience improved operation in rain and snow — even when aiming through glass or a windshield. It has pinpoint accuracy you can rely on. With ProLaser III, speeders simply don't have a chance.

Comment

If he was standing in the rain using it, then it obviously works in the rain.
      " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

Yes, it works in the rain.

Comment

Yes

Have the best rainy day ever!
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Okay, i gotta ask a follow-up question

Why is the officer standing OUT in the rain? Does he not have a car he could sit in to lidar traffic? If according to the manufacture clam it should work spiffy right through windsheilds

Was he just standing on the side of the road with no car? I dont see how that would be an effective way to catch speeders....less he can run really really fast ^^

lol im sorry but this just doesnt seem to add up to me. Any explanation on why you would be getting soaked standing outside of your car popping speeders when you can do it just as easily inside the car

Comment

Originally posted by violet_eyez View Post

Why is the officer standing OUT in the rain? Does he not have a car he could sit in to lidar traffic? If according to the manufacture clam it should work spiffy right through windsheilds

Was he just standing on the side of the road with no car? I dont see how that would be an effective way to catch speeders....less he can run really really fast ^^

lol im sorry but this just doesnt seem to add up to me. Any explanation on why you would be getting soaked standing outside of your car popping speeders when you can do it just as easily inside the car
              Because he felt like it. Although you can shoot through the windshield, it is not recommended with some LASER/LIDAR models. As long as you were not the one in the bullseye, why should you care?

I have ran LIDAR outside of my vehicle plenty of times. I simply walk out into the lane and pull the vehicle over. Should the vehicle fail to stop, I get in my car and get them down the way. Now they face more than just a speeding charge.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I mix it up whether it be in car or out of the car. Primarily do in car just to easily pull out after the person. But yes lidar works in inclement weather and so do police.
                Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Yes LIDAR/LASER works in the rain, several rain, fog, mist can limit the effective range of the beam, so you might need to be closer on a rainy day than clear day,

Shooting thru a windhsield or even a side window can limit the distance as well. I usually either:

1. stand outside the car, or
                  2. Park perpendicular to traffic and have the side window rolled down.

Comment

Need to ask Monty, he can explain the in's and out's of the thing better then any one I know.
                    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I would seriously question the accuracy of the unit based on refraction, but I can see that the manufacture has included something in the unit to account for that.

Yes, he was standing in the rain/mist with full rain gear on. This particular area is a high enforcement area where we that drive the area know they are always there. I just assumed that his commanding officer was not happy with him or something and stuck him out there as punishment.

I have heard that in Texas the policy is that the officer must have a foot on the ground to use laser. This might be inaccurate, but I do remember hearing that from someone. Perhaps our legislature feels that through the windshield is not as accurate and requires outside, but I dont know.

Again, thanks for the straight answers. My curiosity has now subsided.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
                        As long as you were not the one in the bullseye, why should you care?
                        I hope I did not hit a nerve. I was just curious. I figured that "Ask A Cop" meant just that.

I was not 'in the bullseye'. I was actually driving slightly over the speed limit following the natural flow of traffic at a safe distance, which I assume is why he did not pull me and the other cars over.

I really like this forum because all responses are on a voluntary basis and questions can be answered or ignored. I am somewhat confused on why some officers feel a need to question a question??? Is there a general distaste or distrust for the public that you serve or are/were you just having a bad day?

Before I get everyone mad I will just stop after one last comment. A considerable amount of advice given on this site is excellent and hopefully people reading take head, but when an officer has a bad day in verbal form it discourages people from asking questions. I know that each of us were taught, early on, that the only dumb questions are the ones left unasked. While there are a lot of trolls out here and even some looking to make you guys look foolish (a task almost impossible to do), there are a lot of good folks who choose to not bother you during your personal time or work time to ask a question that might seem silly (like mine). This forum is a perfect way to ask the question and perhaps, at your convenience, you might answer. No real need to get in an argument over it when you can just choose to ignore it completely.

Again, thanks for your service and keep up the good work.

Comment

In short:
                          1. Laser works in the rain
                          2. Smart cops don't
                          "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
                          but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Why is the officer standing OUT in the rain?
                            Dangerous and not to smart if you ask me. Its bad enough people slam on their brakes as soon as they see you. Now add in the element of wet roads. Crash reports anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                              Dangerous and not to smart if you ask me. Its bad enough people slam on their brakes as soon as they see you. Now add in the element of wet roads. Crash reports anyone?
                              +1...That's a good reason why I "try" not to stop cars in the rain. Too many people see your lights and slam on the brakes causing rear-end collisions all day long.

I only say "try" because there are just those times where people need to be stopped.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11635 users online. 511 members and 11124 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X