300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Department Benefits

What are some key things I should pay attention to while looking at departments.

I mean I did ride alongs....and the city police department will not pursue a vehicle for any reason short of a murder, while the county sheriff department will for anything. They say this is important to some applicant's

My question is.. Is there anything not obvious such as that reason above I should look into while going on other ride a longs and looking to apply?

Your retirement and pension plan as well as health benefits should be one of the first things you look at.

Comment

Sometimes pay is disguised as benefits, so ask about "hidden benefits." For example in California, a lot of unions will ask their departments to pay for the officer's portion of the retirement contribution instead of giving them a pay raise. That is like getting an 8% pay raise. Another year they may ask the department to pay overtime for their half hour, unpaid lunch break. That will turn out to be a 6.5 % pay raise. My union did that over a two year period. If you look at the official pay steps for our positions, they never changed. But if you look at our paychecks, the "benefits" caused them to increase by 14.5%.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

1. Retirement Benefits
        2. Health Insurance and Cost
        3. Days off (Sick time, Personal days, Vacation time, holiday pay or days off)
        4. Work Schedule (4 and 2's, 5 and 2's, 12 hour shifts ect.)
        5. Take Home Car
        6. Tuition reimbursement
        7. Shift Differential
        8. Type of career advancement (detective bureau, promotions, patrol, traffic unit, swat, K-9 ect.)
        9. Salary

Just a few that I came up with in a few minutes. Whether you can pursue someone or not should be around number 200 on a list. You have to look at the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by tonychicoca View Post
          What are some key things I should pay attention to while looking at departments.
          One that is hiring and not having massive budget issues would be real high on my list
          " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

Originally posted by flexible View Post
            1. Retirement Benefits
            2. Health Insurance and Cost
            3. Days off (Sick time, Personal days, Vacation time, holiday pay or days off)
            4. Work Schedule (4 and 2's, 5 and 2's, 12 hour shifts ect.)
            5. Take Home Car
            6. Tuition reimbursement
            7. Shift Differential
            8. Type of career advancement (detective bureau, promotions, patrol, traffic unit, swat, K-9 ect.)
            9. Salary

All of the above and a city/county that has a good steady economy for future pay raises.
            Geaux Tigers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8877 users online. 388 members and 8489 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X