Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Degree in Information Technology

*this message has been deleted*
    Last edited by arandomotaku; 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM.

I know with that Degree you could apply to any number of Federal Agencies, and start your career as an investigator.
    I know many street officers here think that is a bad idea, but we had good and bad agents with and without street experience. Seems their street experience was not directly related to most of what we did.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

I would like to know about this more myself, im getting degree in Networking technologies, basically same thing except I deal alot with routers, switches, etc

Comment

You changed your major based on advise from nameless strangers on the Internet?

Do you like computers? Do you like tediously reconstructing imaged hard drives? Do you like driving a desk?

I've got a degree in Information Technology and am Microsoft certifed as a Network Administrator. I even spent a few years working in IT. I hated it. I didn't become a cop to go back to working with computers in an office.

If you have a legitimate interest in computers and really want to do that, fine, major in IT. Computer crimes is probably going to be one of the smallest branch of detectives in most agencies, if they have one. As for how long to become a detecive, depends, but figure bare minimum of 2-5 years for a general detective and a bit longer for specialized.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

*this message has been deleted*
          Last edited by arandomotaku; 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I think you are being smart. It is definitely not a bad idea to get a degree in something other than Criminal Justice. I think it really is redundant.

Having a degree in Computer sciences (or whatever title they use) is a good way to go. Computers are being used to commit all types of crimes by all types of people.

I've seen really advanced computer labs running credit card and ID theft scams operated by two parolees who took a class and have the tweaker enthusiasm. Computer 'based' crimes are a huge emerging crime trend that is better to be in front of than behind.

I would suggest seeing if you school offers any computer forensics/computer hacking/computer security based training. If they do, incorporate them into your degree.

good luck
            “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4523 users online. 263 members and 4260 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X