300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor

My father is a defense contractor for a very large corporation and he operates in the southeast Asia area. Friends of his in the local law enfocement there in India (the country where he operates) asked him about getting body armor that is light-weight, consealable and can stop small-arms fire. Police there are not like they are here; not all are issued body armor nor is it readily available.

My father calls me, knowing I want to be a cop, hoping I would know a little about body armor in general and how to obtain the type he is looking for. I had no idea so I am turning to you guys.

I was wondering if you guys can link me to a respectable site where he can buy 2 pairs of the type of body armor described above. Don't need anything more than what I am asking for, however money isn't an issue either, so something high-quality is desirable. I did a google search and came up with a LOT of different kinds. Looking for someone to point out which is the best bang for the buck. Thanks in advance.

It all depends on what you mean by small arms fire.

Level IIIA is the highest level of protection for soft body armor.

Level III and IV armor will stop some rifle rounds, but are typically large ceramic plates not easily concealed.

My two personal preferences for soft armor are ABA, and Second Chance.

http://www.secondchance.com/products/summit.asp
    http://www.americanbodyarmor.com/Eco...ctCategoryID=1

You want to ensure the body armor complies with NIJ 2005 Intermim requirements for bullet-resistant armor. These vests are certified by the NIJ as compliant with their standards. You can find that info, as well as certified vests here:
    http://www.justnet.org/Pages/ViewPag...%9E7%C2%AA%0Eq

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
      It all depends on what you mean by small arms fire.

Level IIIA is the highest level of protection for soft body armor.

Level III and IV armor will stop some rifle rounds, but are typically large ceramic plates not easily concealed.

My two personal preferences for soft armor are ABA, and Second Chance.

http://www.secondchance.com/products/summit.asp
      http://www.americanbodyarmor.com/Eco...ctCategoryID=1

You want to ensure the body armor complies with NIJ 2005 Intermim requirements for bullet-resistant armor. These vests are certified by the NIJ as compliant with their standards. You can find that info, as well as certified vests here:
      http://www.justnet.org/Pages/ViewPag...%9E7%C2%AA%0Eq

Hope that helps.
      Thanks a lot. What exactly is the NIJ and why would it be important to be compliant with their standards? Is that like the FDA of LE gear?

Comment

For concealed soft body armor get IIIA minimum, I would also purchase a trauma plate. The trauma plate is not a ballistic plate, but helps to disperse blunt trauma, or bullet impact over a larger area. In high threat area's, especially in many parts of the world a 7.62x39 (.30 cal sized) rifle round is pretty common. If overseas I would prefer to be able to wear a vest with ballistic plates as the norm, but I do understand that some jobs might not allow for external armor, therefore if cost is not an issue, I would also suggest that they purchase ballistic plates capable of level IV min, that can defeat some rifle rounds, and also purchase plate carriers. These can be worn externally and can be worn or removed as needed.
        The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Try PACA I love it. Very comfortable and easy to wear for long periods of time. I have a IIIA vest from them and they showed me when I got this one that the vest stopped even some rifle fire, upto and including a 45-70. I know hard to believe, I didnt believe it either until I saw it.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Last edited by Nobody; 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Someone sounds like a federalli, lol, dang never knew that

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                Last edited by Nobody; 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM.

Comment

A lot of great information here; thanks everyone.

Nobody: I will most definitely pass that customs law to him. The plan was to purchase on the internet and have it sent to my house, then when he comes in town for business he would pick them up and take them with him back to India via airport. India I think is a "friendly" country, is it not?

If anyone else has any other information or opinions I'd appreciate it. Soon I'll e-mail him what you guys told me.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Friendly or not, make sure (in writing) that you/he is in compliance with the laws regarding export. These days, the courts have no sense of humor about export of munitions list items, and 10 years is a long time in the Federal pen.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Google the following phrases:

"FBI Body Armor Test Protocol"

"Choosing Soft Body Armor"

Both will be PDF files. After reading these, I chose the US Armor Enforcer Classic vest to wear. Due to the weather conditions prevalent in Southeast Asia, I'd highly recommend the same vest. The only thing I would change about the one I have it the trauma pad. Mine is a hard plate - I'd prefer the soft pad to prevent spalling in the event of a bullet strike in that area.
                        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I am quite interested in this thread, as I am a police officer trainee in Spain, and soon (july) I'll be going out on patrol, so I'm searching for a really good bulletproof vest.
                          I need a concealable soft vest, and I'm thinking on a III-A protection level, just to be on the safe side. I'm trying to get real high quality, both in comfort and protection, so I guess I'll have to be ready to pay for it, but trying to wrap my head around the hundreds of brands and models is relly mind numbing, so I'd appreciate the help.
                          Which brands should I go for, and what models? I've checked the US Armor Enforcer as Sgt. Slaughter suggested; There are two choices, Enforcer classic and XLT Comfort, any coments on that last one?
                          And Nobody, your post saying I might have problems buying one for overseas (or going there and buying it, as I plan on going to Washington on june) has me worried; how can I check if I'll have any trouble with it?
                          Many, many thanks in advance

Comment

ifxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

The Enforcer Classic has passed the new testing protocol. I don't know if the XLT Comfort has. If you Google the terms as I previously suggested, the resulting documentation would suggest you go for the one that passes the FBI Testing Protocol.

I just compared the ballistic materials on the Enforcer Classic vs. the XLT Comfort and they are NOT the same. I would suggest calling or emailing US Armor and asking them which ones will pass. They may also be able to make arrangements to get the vest to you if it's possible for them to do so.
                              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4735 users online. 291 members and 4444 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X