300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USBP laterals?

Im just wondering if anyone knows of any dept. that accept laterals from Border Patrol?

Thanks!
    Cant wait to get out there!!!

Richard Francis 1948 - 2008
    Killed in the line of duty.

I know AZ POST does allow lateral certification for Federal L/E. But my Department made an ICE officer go through basic just to be safe.
    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

I would suggest that you determine where you want to live and work. Contact the agency you a interested in and ask their recruiter if the FLETC training you have undergone is accepted under their lateral programs.

Every state and every agency require minimum standards; yet, they may modify them for their own purposes. What one accepts another may not.

As a matter of practice, most agencies do not publish too much about lateral requirements.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
        I would suggest that you determine where you want to live and work. Contact the agency you a interested in and ask their recruiter if the FLETC training you have undergone is accepted under their lateral programs.

Every state and every agency require minimum standards; yet, they may modify them for their own purposes. What one accepts another may not.

As a matter of practice, most agencies do not publish too much about lateral requirements.
        Well put. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

I had one of my academy classmates lateral to Metro D.C. PD about ten years ago. Another one of our Agents went to Seattle PD. I believe he lateralled but I'm not 100% sure.
          The only thing we have to fear is change itself.

Comment

A friend of mine (testing for bp now) told me most federal LEA accept laterals. Any word on if this is true?

Thanks!

Comment

Federal to Federal - probably one of the better chances of getting a "lateral" from one agency to another. The BPA basic training course is fairly comprehensive in basic police skills, and is one of the ones that has a better chance of being accepted at another agency.

Many agencies are going to a format where there is a basic school (like CITP for 1811-type investigators), and then the specific agency (USSS, ATF, ICE, etc) does their own "add-on" school afterwards. Once someone has completed CITP, they should not have to do it again.

For Fed LE to State LE...whole different ball of wax. Most states (such as Arizona) do have a program which allows a waiver of basic training...if the applicant can demonstrate sufficient equivalency of training to what the state requires. Using Arizona as a further example, if you come from out-of-state, they have a 3-page matrix of topics on which you have to break-down the number of hours of training you received on each area (called "performance objectives"). Our POST reviews the training you've received, and if they deem it to be substantially equivalent, will let you be blessed as an Arizona Peace Officer, after taking driving, shooting, and PT tests, and sitting for a big written exam covering Arizona laws and basic police training topics.

However, if they training is not determined to be substantially equivalent to what you'd receive in a state-certified academy program, you'll have to go back though a basic training program to attain certification.

I suspect most states operate along these lines. Nowadays, there seems to be pretty good "portability" from state-to-state with peace officer certifications, but I'd imagine it's more hit-and-miss with Fed to State transitions, as many fed programs are more focused on investigations, and less on basic police skills and topics.

Comment

Thanks a ton! Helps a lot.

DEA is federal right?

Comment

I had a partner go up to Seattle PD, and have to go through the whole academy. I've had a couple other classmates go on to other PDs. There are no guarantees, and with most departments you will have to undergo some kind of training. Subjects allowed to be waived will be the minority/exception.
                  "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Yes, DEA is Federal. CBP usually has lots of former BP, as did Customs Investigations, now folded into ICE.
                    There are really two career tracks in Federal: Police (BP, Park Police, National Park Service, etc.), and Investigations (ICE, DEA, ATF, FBI, etc.)

Neither is "better" or "worse", just different jobs.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

DEA runs patrols though dont they?

Comment

Nope, they are in the investigations track.
                        Where would they patrol?
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                          Nope, they are in the investigations track.
                          Where would they patrol?
                          I have no idea I thought i saw a picture on their site of 2 agents on a street searching a guy on their car or something couldve been anywhere though.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/resources/job_applicants.html The first picture in the slide.
                          Last edited by shifty277; 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Dunno if they patrol, but as seen on that crappy show on Spike T.V., they do run around and catch drug dealers out on the streets.
                            " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

Originally posted by R.A.B. View Post

Dunno if they patrol, but as seen on that crappy show on Spike T.V., they do run around and catch drug dealers out on the streets.
                              lol forgot about that show Good point.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4205 users online. 234 members and 3971 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X