300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The P.I.T.

What does a police department need to qualify for the usage of the P.I.T. ?

I happen to live in a Texas/Mexico border town, and always hear about chases

in which the suspect always manages to cross to the Mexican side. And of

course, no LE agency uses the P.I.T. here, which includes Sheriffs Office, Local

PD, and Texas Highway Patrol. Any insight?

Standardized training for its Officers and liability insurance. A proper PIT maneuver is an art form, which includes taking steps to insure that the public is not harmed. What good is catching the suspect if he kills some little kid on a bicycle while being spun.
    Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

We are forbidden by policy from using the PIT (so we try and stay with them till either LAPD or CHP takes over.....so THEY can PIT them....)
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

thanks for the replies ..be safe out there!

Comment

You need a city or jurisdiction willing to undertake the liability and then you need to formulate written policy and train your officers. Someone in a decision making role has to put it in play. There is no Federal or State entity that is going to stop you.

Comment

We can pit but we have ot go through the one day class first, which reminds me, renewal is comming up soon!!!!

Comment

The department also needs to realize PIT is obviously a Use-Of-Force technique that involves the cars. I think it depends on how it is presented. We had our administration come out to a closed track and we demonstrated the PIT for them. We let them drive the spin car and ride in the PIT car. That way, they were able to see how little damage it does when done properly. Of course, if done improperly, it could do substantially more damage. However, what's worse, spending a few thousand to fix a police car or an innocent person being killed and paying out from a lawsuit?

We were also somewhat selective in who was trained. The decision was made to train FTOs since they typically have the experience and make better decisions.

If you'd like, PM me and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by overhead_glare View Post
                and Texas Highway Patrol.
                Ah, but last I heard they are authorized to shoot out tires with a shotgun. I will trade them my authorization to PIT for the authorization to stick my shotgun out the window and fire any day of the week!

As to your original question, PIT maneuvers are coming to a border town near you. Slowly but surely.
                "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

lol.... ........................

Comment

The biggest problems with using the PIT along the border is that much of the time, we were on dirt one lane roads (called a two track around here) or no roads at all. Plus, the speeds I encountered were well above those recommended for the PIT.
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Actually, speed is not the #1 restriction of doing or not doing a PIT. It's area. Obviously, the faster the violator, the more room needed for the car to spin and not strike anything. There are interstates around here that are 5-6 lanes wide, so a PIT at 60-70 would be OK, but on city streets, you would not want to do one that fast.

Comment

Metro, I have to disagree with you about speed. At my civil trial after applying the PIT at 80+ (resulting in a death), the primary issue was the use of the PIT at speeds above the recommended 30 MPH. While it was held that it was deadly force, my use of it was accepted as the outlaws had rammed me 7 times, tried to run over an officer out of his car, run locals off the road, etc.
                        This was on a two lane road in the desert, they found the only tree in 2 miles and went inverted for 100 yards.
                        I won the case, and all investigations exonerated me (Locals, my agency, FBI).
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Sleuth, glad to hear you were exonerated, as you should have been, especially in those circumstances.

I'm just saying I disagree with putting an absolute "speed limit" on PIT. Our policy says "recommended" at no faster than 45-50, but we don't say "absolutely" no faster than....

We have had some faster, but our average speed is 45-50. We train our guys to know the area and perform the PIT free of obstructions, no matter the speed. We also train to know and understand the faster the speed, the more area the car needs to not hit an obstacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                            Metro, I have to disagree with you about speed. At my civil trial after applying the PIT at 80+ (resulting in a death), the primary issue was the use of the PIT at speeds above the recommended 30 MPH. While it was held that it was deadly force, my use of it was accepted as the outlaws had rammed me 7 times, tried to run over an officer out of his car, run locals off the road, etc.
                            This was on a two lane road in the desert, they found the only tree in 2 miles and went inverted for 100 yards.
                            I won the case, and all investigations exonerated me (Locals, my agency, FBI).
                            At my new dept. Pit'ing is considered deadly force. I love my new dept but like anywhere it has some things I wish I could change. My previous dept. was allowed to PIT without the deadly force cloud.
                            Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4245 users online. 230 members and 4015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X