Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mdrdep
    replied
    Sure you do. Go to your local police dept. and report it. You don't need your mom's permission

Leave a comment:

• alienbow
    replied
    I understand, I am troubled about it as well. My aunt doesn't want to talk to me about the matter. She told me I'm just a grandchild and it's not any of my business. I stay with my grandmother and take care of her, my aunt doesn't. I take her to her appointments and other business that she has to take care of. I don't really have any say so in the matter.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    Originally posted by alienbow View Post
    I can tell you with certainty that my mom isn't involved in this. My mom has dedicated her time to take care of my grandmother. My aunt is in this alone.
    Again, I am greatly troubled that everything your grandmother worked her entire life for is at risk and your mother protects the one who has stolen her good name, reputation and put everything at risk.

Your aunt has promised to pay things off, so test her sincerity in the matter. Ask her if she will go to all of the nine creditors, tell them what she has done in your grandmother's name, ask them to transfer things to her name and set up a timetable to pay them back. Based on her response you will know if she really intends to make good on her promises. Then let your own conscience be your guide in deciding whether or not to report the matter yourself.

Leave a comment:

• alienbow
    replied
    I can tell you with certainty that my mom isn't involved in this. My mom has dedicated her time to take care of my grandmother. My aunt is in this alone.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    My mom and uncle talked to my aunt. She told them that she wants to pay the bills off that are opened and then close them. I don't really have a say so in the matter as far as how they handle the issue. I wanted them to put my aunt in jail. She did my grandmother wrong. I'm a little disappointed in how they handled the situation. I don't know if she learned anything from this or not.

I also found out by mistake that my aunt is cheating on her husband. I'm not sure how to handle this. My mom and uncle knows about it but they haven't said anything to my aunt. What do you guys think?
    Unless she is prepared to pay them off this very minute, saying she "wants" to pay the bills off is just a stall for time.

I am greatly troubled that everything your grandmother worked her entire life for is at risk and no one will do anything to protect her. Again, no offense is intended but the first thing that comes to mind is, is your mother in on it?

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Report it. It's not only identity theft, it may well be financial abuse of an elder.

Leave a comment:

• alienbow
    replied
    That's how my mom and uncle are going to handle the matter. I don't know if my aunt is going to pay the bills off either. I don't trust my aunt.

Leave a comment:

• jsm197
    replied
    I've taken plenty of these and trust me, your aunt will not pay off the debts! This should definately be dealt with immediately and not swept under the rug because it will only get worse with time.

Leave a comment:

• Retired96
    replied
    Paying off the bills and closing the accounts does not eliminate the fact that your aunt committed felony crimes and should be punished for her conduct.

Her cheating on her husband is something you should not get involved in.

Leave a comment:

• alienbow
    replied
    My mom and uncle talked to my aunt. She told them that she wants to pay the bills off that are opened and then close them. I don't really have a say so in the matter as far as how they handle the issue. I wanted them to put my aunt in jail. She did my grandmother wrong. I'm a little disappointed in how they handled the situation. I don't know if she learned anything from this or not.

I also found out by mistake that my aunt is cheating on her husband. I'm not sure how to handle this. My mom and uncle knows about it but they haven't said anything to my aunt. What do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    It's not up to your mom, protect your family and file the report. In Cali not only is this identity theft it's also elder abuse/fidicuary

Leave a comment:

• Rasmblack
    replied
    Report it now. Who knows after grandmma it might just be your mom or even you that gets hit. I suggest you report it immediatly.

Leave a comment:

• L-1
    replied
    My mom doesn't want to press charges against my aunt.
    Here's the problem with that. If action is not taken to clear up the matter and identify the true person who owes the money, all of the creditors will start filing lawsuits against your grandmother for non-payment because they honestly believe she is the one who ran up the charges.

Because she has Alzheimer's and is unable to defend herself, default judgments will be entered against your grandmother by the court. Her assets will then be seized to pay off those judgments. Seeing that no one is willing to stop her, your aunt will continue and this will go on until your grandmother is penniless, because no one will step up and defend the interests of a helpless woman.

No offense is intended, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that your mother doesn't want to do anything because she is in on it.

Leave a comment:

• Retired96
    replied
    Every time your aunt opened a account using false info she committed a felony, submitting a fraudulent credit application is a felony. You say she opened nine accounts, that makes it a least 9 separate felony crimes.

Your aunt deserves to be in jail as she is a criminal.

Leave a comment:

• SA13
    replied
    Me and my mom discovered that a member of our family is using my grandmother's social security number to open different accounts. The accounts have been delinquent and haven't been paid. They have been turned over to collection agencies and attorneys. It has ruined my grandmother's credit. My grandmother has alzheimer's and can't take care of herself. She doesn't know what's going on. We discovered this yesterday. One of the creditors called my grandmother's home trying to collect money owed on the account. We checked my grandmother's credit score and found that the family member responsible has opened up several accounts. How should we handle this?
    Report this to the local PD and make sure a report is made. You will need proof that you reported this to LE for creditors to give you relief on the fraudulent accounts. Also contact the Social Security Administration, Office of the Inspector General, Office of Investigations (SSA/OIG/OI), and the US Postal Inspection Service. These are the Federal agencies that work identity theft cases. This is especially relevant to the SSA/OIG/OI as the SSN was misused.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8536 users online. 455 members and 8081 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X