X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I hireable?

I am currently 23 years old...

At 17 years of age, I made the worst mistake in my life, I chose to associate with the wrong group of people. It was early '04 and a friend of mine who had been working at a restaurant got an offer for employment on a ship, a coworker of his was also interested and applied and subsequently was offered the position as well.

My friend came to me and asked if I could help them move to a house closer to the job, he even offered to pay for any gas chargers incurred on the trip and thus, I had no qualms about helping them. The night of the move I arrive and they load a bunch of clothes and bags in the truck, well this coworker of my friend takes off and about 15 minutes later comes back and says we can now leave. We're enroute to our destination and I drop them off, no problems... I go home and go to sleep.

Approx. 3 days go by and detectives show up at my door, asking me about a murder that happened the night I took the two out of town. I tell them what I know about that night, and that I knew absolutely nothing about the crime mentioned as the two had not said a word and for probably good cause as I would've certainly called police and told them had I known they committed an act as serious as that. So they leave, telling me they'd get back to me if they had any questions. Next time I saw them I was being placed under arrest, the charge was Accessory after the Fact to Murder 2... needless to say I went into shock. After court proceedings and a no contest plea per advice of my lawyer I was given a suspended sentence, I completed all requirements of this and was then granted a complete expungement of the entire case.

I currently work at an airport, where I had to undergo an FBI background check, of which I received a copy that stated there were no prior arrests and/or convictions. I have been told by a few LE friends that I should be hireable, but these are only 2 opinions and therefore I now ask all of you... am I really hireable? I have a spotless record before that, never been one to get into trouble, have great references and work ethic along with integrity, and am a proud Eagle Scout to boot.
    Last edited by AKSledhead; 02-12-2009, 05:11 AM.

Yikes..... I would say it is pretty iffy. I have never come accross anyone who had a background like yours, so you probably need to talk to a recruiter.

Comment

Huge liability.... I would say No Way....

Comment

Good luck. Almost every employer conducts some kind of background check, which a FBI background check is then done. Which you can even request yourself. This basically means your fingerprints were ran and your police record. In a nutshell, I'd say you are going to have a huge obstacle to overcome.
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

You kind of skim over the murder part, but what the hell. Yes your friends were very bad but they will probably be out in 8 to 12 more years.

I know I wouldn't want the task of sorting out what really happened
          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I'd say No to you
            "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
            sigpic

Comment

You'd have a really tough time getting hired, if at all possible. There are too many other applicants who have not been arrested for such a serious crime, and pleaded "no contest" (quilty plea) to. I bet your app gets tossed very early in the process.
              Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

Sounds like a bad horror film. More info please...

Comment

the places you could get hired you don't want to work for...

Comment

The details of the arrest are pretty sketchy, and your post asks more questions than it answers. I can understand your reluctance to post details on a public forum, and I'll attempt a reply in very general terms. In a LE Background Investigation there is no such thing as an "Expungement". Regardless of that, the issue of your arrest will come up at some point in the background process. Consider too, that Departments aren't so much concerned with the disposition of arrests, as they are with the fact the arrest occurred in the first place. That is arguably unfair, but is pretty much the case across the board. In summary, you are going to experience a very difficult, if not impossible task in being hired as a Police Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                      Yes your friends were very bad but they will probably be out in 8 to 12 more years.
                      Luckily the murderer was sentenced to life without parole.

Originally posted by cgh6366 View Post
                      I'd say No to you
                      I'd get to know me first. Then we can talk about what an asset, not a liability, I'd be.

Originally posted by hooknbook View Post
                      You'd have a really tough time getting hired, if at all possible. There are too many other applicants who have not been arrested for such a serious crime, and pleaded "no contest" (quilty plea) to. I bet your app gets tossed very early in the process.
                      Though you may be and probably are correct, I can only hope that it doesn't.

Originally posted by deputynok View Post
                      the places you could get hired you don't want to work for...
                      Since the incident, I've held 2 jobs, both of which were safety-sensitive and required background checks... I have been in charge of a team as supervisor day shift and have had great responsibilities put onto me by people who trust me, and with good reason. My overall character, integrity and work ethic will speak for itself, if I make it to that stage.

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      In summary, you are going to experience a very difficult, if not impossible task in being hired as a Police Officer.
                      That's okay, I've put up with a lot of difficulties in my life, and I've overcome them with no problems... I agree though, this will be very difficult and I can only hope that the BI understands that even though legally I committed a crime, the knowledge of said crime was not there and thus, it is not in my character to get into trouble or have a criminal mindset.

Another question is, I'm going Air Force (it's a family thing and luckily I was okay'd to join up even with the expungement, 93 on the ASVAB as well) as soon as I lose these extra 20lbs and with that said... should I wait to apply AFTER my military service? As to lengthen the time between the charge and also have a clean application history within LE, along with military service?

Comment

1. Sorry but even though you may have things to bring to LE, you still were charged with a very serious crime. Yes you may be an Eagle Scout and a very nice person, but the reality is a LE agency does not care about that. You would be a huge liability.

2. Yes the Air Force would probably be a good thing. However, I must caution you that even if you did great in the military and got an HONORABLE discharge, it would not change the fact that you once made a bad choice in picking your friends. I have a freind in the Army right now and he made sargent in three years. He is an outstanding soldier and a great father. However, when he was eighteen he was charged with a felony. He was able to get it expunged, but he has already been told by numerous departments that he is not hirable.

Sorry I admire your enthusiasim, but even though it was not your fault, you may never be able to become a peace officer. Again I know its never good to judge a book by its cover, but the fact is that is how LE applicants are normally treated.

Good luck.

Comment

No Bueno For California

Any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Government Code Section 1029(a)]. This prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Texas

Must not admit to, been convicted of, or placed on deferred adjudication for any felony or Class A misdemeanor.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSledhead View Post

I'd get to know me first. Then we can talk about what an asset, not a liability, I'd be.
                              Sorry, thats now how hiring works in this field. There's no time to "get to know" all the applicants. You are looking at this like "they need me so they'll get to know me before they decide". Sadly that isn't true. No agency NEEDS you. They all have other people lined up with applications. An application into law enforcement is your chance to prove to the agency that it WANTS you. If they are going down the list of applications and see "arrested for murder" believe me, every BI I know is going to toss your application straight into DQ stack. No asking questions, no looking for an explanation, no getting to know you. They'll have a whole stack of other applications that are people who have NOT been arrested for murder, and they just won't care. To be honest, most would laugh that you even tried to apply. Cruel? Maybe, but true.

Does it suck, especially if the circumstances around the event you described, were not you fault? Sure. Sadly, life isn't fair. I don't know you, but neither does anyone who will be doing your background or even initial review of your application. I would seriously be surprised if you ever even made it to an interview to be given the option of explaining.

Again, kinda sucks, but that's how it is. You wanted an answer, you got one. If you want us to sugarcoat it and just say things to make you feel better, let me know and I will tell you that everything is alright and the world is fair and all that BS, but that won't make it true.
                              Last edited by GatorPD; 02-13-2009, 03:49 AM.
                              Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
                              Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7101 users online. 227 members and 6874 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X