Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Marquee- Is this legal?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/car/afe6/

Made me giggle a little when I first saw it. Figured it'd be great for S&G, but even have its practical uses, such as advising the driver behind me to turn off his brights/turn on his headlights.

Also, since when I drive, 99% of the time, I have a passenger(oh to be single again...), I would not be operating the unit myself.

Any ideas?

Legality in NY State, NYC, and LI would be nice, as well as the surrounding states (CT, PA, NJ).

-Brian
    Protect the weak
    Defend the innocent
    Stand up to tyranny and unjust behavior
    Take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences
    Honor friendship with loyalty
    Ask more of yourself than others
    Never do anything without a purpose
    Never do anything that is useless
    Be honest in your intentions and actions with everyone you meet.

I saw one of those on a vehicle here in WI in November. Dam near crashed my POV trying to read the message it was displaying. It turned out the guy was a stockbroker and the sign was advertising his business/web site.

I thought about the legality of it too, but I never got around to looking it up. I believe it's wouldn't be legal here. The sign works by little red LEDs flashing on and off in a pattern, which displays the message, makes it move, shows the effects, etc. It's been a while since I read the vehicle code on this, but I believe displaying flashing red lights on a non-emergency vehicle is a violation.

That being said, who wouldn't live to have something like that for the jerk that's tailgating you down the highway: BACK OFF...A55 MUNCH

Comment

Florida has a pretty broad law... "Flashing lights are prohibited on the vehicle"

I don't know how likely getting a ticket would be, but if I wanted to, I could definitely apply the statute.
      Sheriff: We just take turns being the sheriff. It's real easy. You just hang out here, eat some pie, and get drunk.
      Peter Griffin: Wait. Hold on a second. "Pie," "drunk," "the?" You got yourself a sheriff!

Comment

Illegal throughout New York State.

NYS VTL:

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

3. Amber lights. a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a hazardous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

b. In any city in this state having a population of one million or more, one amber light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned or operated by a volunteer member of a civilian or crime patrol provided such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member has been authorized in writing to so affix an amber light by the police commissioner of the municipality in which he patrols, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the police commissioner who issued the same or his successor in office. Such amber light may be operated by such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member in such a vehicle only when engaged in a patrol operation as defined and authorized by rules and regulations promulgated by the police commissioner and only in such a manner and at such times as may be authorized by the police commissioner pursuant to said rules and regulations.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles unless such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a police vehicle.

5. Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family, or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed by such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when engaged in an emergency operation.

As used in this paragraph volunteer ambulance service means: a. a non-profit membership corporation (other than a fire corporation) incorporated under or subject to the provisions of the membership corporations law, or any other law, operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members thereof and their families or of the community or under a contract with a county, city, town or village pursuant to section one hundred twenty-two-b of the general municipal law; or

b. an unincorporated association of persons operating its ambulance or ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members and their families or of the community.

6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate specifications with respect to such lights.

7. The provisions of this subdivision forty-one shall not be applicable to vehicles from other states or from the Dominion of Canada which have entered this state to render police, fire or civil defense aid, or ambulance service, while such vehicles are here or are returning to their home stations if the lights on such vehicles comply with the laws of their home states or the Dominion of Canada and are displayed in this state in the same manner permitted by their home states or the Dominion of Canada, nor shall the provisions of this subdivision forty-one be deemed to amend, supersede or in any manner affect the provisions of the New York state defense emergency act as now in force or as it may be amended from time to time.

8. The provisions of this subdivision shall not be applicable to the driver of a vehicle from another state or foreign jurisdiction which vehicle has colored lights affixed but not revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving if the lights on such vehicle comply with the laws of the state or home foreign jurisdiction in which the vehicle is registered.
        “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorPD View Post
          Florida has a pretty broad law... "Flashing lights are prohibited on the vehicle"

I don't know how likely getting a ticket would be, but if I wanted to, I could definitely apply the statute.
          Agreed. They are illegal if they are red or blue. Only law enforcement shall have blue or red flashing lights and fire/ems can have flashing red. I would write someone for having red or blue.

Comment

No flashing lights except brake and turn / 4 way signals
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

In Illinois, the technical answer is "no:"

625 ILCS 5/12-212(c)
              “Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited.”

That said... it's a pretty pimpy stop unless you've got some other reason for wanting to see who's driving or wanting to get in the car.
              "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

Also illegal in PA that would be considered ornamental illumination.
                When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by PABear31 View Post
                  Also illegal in PA that would be considered ornamental illumination.
                  In PA Title 75 ss4307 Use and Display of Illuminated Signs:
                  Except as otherwise provided in this section, no vehicle shal bear or display any illuminated signs, letters, numerals or figures of any kind whatsoever.

Exceptions are for buses, taxi's, some trucks, and delivery people, etc.. And even then it specifies restrictions.

Comment

You guys missed the best item in their catalog. Take a look at http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

My last My last Captain was a real Adam Henry who made my last few years on the job miserable and I retired early because of him. If I had known about this little goodie, I would have bought two and hid one in his office and one in his take home.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I love that website, even though I'm far from being a geek myself.

I bought this http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-app.../generic/8753/
                      for my son for Xmas this year. It sums up about 60% of his teenaged vocabulary.

Comment

Illegal in Missouri...
                        307.122. No motor vehicle or trailer shall be operated on a public highway of this state while equipped with any device which emits an electronic message directed to the front, side or rear of the exterior of the vehicle or trailer. For the purposes of this section, the term "message" shall include words, phrases, sentences, numbers and other symbols or combinations thereof. This section shall not prohibit the lawful use of a lamp which illuminates the rear registration marker, as authorized pursuant to section 307.075, or the use of a route indicator on a bus or other public transportation vehicle, or messages that display proper names of firms or corporations. Violations of this section shall be a class C misdemeanor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3125 users online. 220 members and 2905 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X