300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruiser Lights

What does the different color of the cruiser lights signify? Today, I saw the Highway Patrol with lit blue lights. I was curious to learn if the activated colors meant something.
    Yey. I passed the writing test with an 85. PAT next week!!

Originally posted by MissM View Post
    I was curious to learn if the activated colors meant something.

Different areas use different combinations of red, blue, and white. There's no rhyme or reason, but they all mean the same thing:

"Pull to the right and stop."
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

They don't 'signify' anything, per se.

They are the most effective colors for getting peoples' attention, and as CC said above me, they mean one thing and one thing only....

......pull over.
      1*

Comment

Red and blues are used for a specific reason as it has been tested that Blue is easier to see during the day and red is easier to see when its dark. The human eye has different capabilities when it comes to adjusting to different colors in different degrees of ambient light. If you see a police cruiser with its lights on during the day, your eyes will pick up the blue light much sooner than the red and vice-versa. In some states police cruisers may only have blue or red bars instead of a combination of the colors.

Also in different states, the color of the lights are reserved for specific types of reasons. In NJ, Amber lights can be used for construction vehicles, tow trucks, etc., Red are emergency vehicles only; ambulance, fire truck, police. Blue is the gray area in which it is reserved for emergency vehicles however they can be on personal vehicles, such as volunteer firefighters or first aiders. Some private security and other specified outfits may use green lights as well. This is all specified under NJ law for public roadways though, if you are on private property you can use whatever you want.
        Waiting for "The Date"

Comment

Each color has its own advantages and disadvantages, ranging from 'glare discomfort' to straight on and angle visability.

The problem is most of the studies that really look into the pros and cons were done 50 years after the colors were chosen, so they weren't really selected based on suitability as determined by scientific study.

If you are *really* interested, here's an oft quoted study. If you aren't *really* interested, its probably best to read it just before a planned nap.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=3&gl=us
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

For your state (California) all emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance, etc.) must be equipped with red lights. Blue lights can only be displayed on certain law enforcement vehicles. Amber (yellow) lights may be displayed on vehicles that are creating a hazard on the roadway. You will see them on emergency vehicles, tow trucks, street sweepers, utility vehicles, etc.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Last edited by Tpr; 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Red and Blue= Emergency colors. Amber = warning color.

Comment

here
                  Red=Police fire trucks all emergency vehicles
                  blue alone=volunteer firefighter personal vehicles, state law says vehicles must yield right away but the firefighter may not exceed posted speed limit
                  Amber=Tow trucks and construction

Green=for Christmas trees and thats it
                  white=just addition to red or blue or amber, no special meaning

red/blue=just a sweater light bar for emergency vehicles
                  "What the problem is?"

Comment

My dept has all blue LED emergency lights. I think they look cool.

Comment

In Kansas you have to yield, pull over for red. Blue has no meaning. Amber serves as a warning with the exception of road construction and DOT vehicles working on the roads, you have to yield (move over) for them.

However, nearly every law enforcement agency in Kansas runs the red/blue combo. Some Fire Trucks and Ambulances have only red, but a majority of them run red/blue also.

Comment

Originally posted by star25what View Post
                        My dept has all blue LED emergency lights. I think they look cool.

I'm jealous... All blue looks awesome!

Comment

All leo vehicles in Mississippi (that i am aware of) run blues or reds or a combination of both. Most run strictly blues like my department. Reds and white are strictly used for fire/emergency vehicles. Ambers for road machinery and towing services. Its against the law for someone to have any blue lights in or on a vehicle. No exceptions. This also applies to offduty leo on povs. It has to be a government vehicle owned by a department to run with blue lights.

Comment

We use red/blue LED's along with red/blue strobes in the grill. It means pull over and stop. There is no dispute with my cruiser. The lights are almost too bright. I still have people tell me that they didnt see me.
                            John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by CountyCop22 View Post
                              I'm jealous... All blue looks awesome!
                              Yeah ours look exactly like this. The sections that aren't blue are white lights.

No Dept around us has them. So you always know it's us coming through.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7612 users online. 440 members and 7172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X